Sign in to follow this  
Marion

Tampa Concert Review/Photos/Gainesville Trip & Photos!

Just a quick note to say the show was fabulous last night. The guys were so good and they were having a great time. They got a great response to the MOJO songs and that made Tom very happy and bouncy. We will post some pictures and more reviews later. Were on the road today. Gonna take the gang for a little tour around Gainesville.

ZZ Top was beyond excellent!!

More later!

We had such amazing night in Tampa. The guys were awesome! They all looked well and it showed in their playing. I'll have to write more later but right now we're on the road to Gainesville and listening to some ZZ Top! Who by the way, blew us away. And "somebody" in our little group sat behind Billy Gibbons during the TPATH set but I'll let her tell you about that, lol.

I loved that the crowd seemed to receive the new Mojo songs really well. I LOVED hearing "I should have known" live! Mr. Campbell REALLY rocked out on that one.

More to come...

It was great last night!!! Even though I was 19 rows behind Marion et al it was still a great show from my seat!!! I was very pleased that the crowd received MOJO much better than the crowd in Atlanta last month...less sitting down and more dancing and cheering. Made me proud of the home folks. You gotta know that we southern fans know great music when we hear it!!! Took a friend of mine who was not a real big fan of TPATH, liked them okay...just not crazy like us. :) She talked and talked about how great a show it was. She wanted to go to see ZZ Top. But she told her husband on the phone that ZZ Top was good, but TPATH blew them out of the water!! Think I have created another fan, lol!

I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting some farmers! The band really brings a lot of joy to our lives and relationships with others.....so thanks guys!! Also Ron Blair played for us on his birthday...thanks Ron!

Edited by wild one

Sounds GREAT you guys! Glad you all had such a wonderful time!

Wild One, I know what you mean. I love it when you take a "casual fan" to a show and they leave a "huge fan". I've done that too and it's so satisfying. Like "see what I've been telling you all these years?" LOL

Hello again everyone. Sorry we haven't been back to post pictures but I will get to it tomorrow. We also have some cool stories to share from our Gainesville visit. I still have company here tonight as Beth and Johni are still here. "We're watching Running Down a Dream." It's fun to watch the dvd with them. :)

Yep, Magnolia, it was a rather satisfying experience. The person accompanying me was an old friend from WAY WAY BACK! Actually, I used to drive her to see her boyfriend (who has been her husband for 25 + years) now because she was too young to drive, lol! My husband was going to go with me for my mother's day present back in May. But since the concert was cancelled and rescheduled at a date he could not attend....my old friend was enlisted to replace him. Now she is asking me for concert pictures and has become a real TPATH fan.....just goes to prove that things always work out the way they are supposed to be. :)

I still have company here tonight as Beth and Johni are still here. "We're watching Running Down a Dream." It's fun to watch the dvd with them. :)

Awwww! How fun!! I love it and I'm so glad you guys all got together and made a fun time of the show/weekend.

I'm going to try and post some of our highlights. I'll let Marion post the pictures.

For starters, the show was awesome. SO much better than the 2 Philly shows combined! Really! Although it was the same set list as the 2nd. night in Philly, it was just so much better. The Tampa crowd LOVED the Mojo songs. I was so happy to see that.

The band also just seemed happier to me. They were really having a good time up there it seemed. I heard some people complaining about the sound, but I thought they sounded fine.

I had a fantastic seat. The side section right next to the stage, 3 rows up, 3rd. seat in. And apart from not being able to sit with any of our crowd, I'd sit there again in a heartbeat.

ZZ Top were great! I have only seen them one other time in my life... back in 1990-91, not sure which year it was, lol. But it was one of the two. Loved them then and fell in love all over again with them. I was surprised when I got home to find that I had quite a few of their cd's. I haven't played them in awhile, don't ask me why. But I quickly downloaded them into my itunes!

Billy Gibbons came and sat in the seat directly in front of me to watch TPATH. I knew it was him immediately. No one else did though and I wasn't going to bother him or let on that it was him. However, sadly, slowly but surely, a few people around us began to realize it was him and let it be known to others and before you knew it, they were bombarding him with picture taking, asking for autographs, etc. Honestly, they made complete jackasses out of themselves. That's my opinion though. Billy was polite and obliged, but a couple of times I could see that he was a little bothered.

I felt embarrassed for them. :095:

Onto our little trip of Gainesville. Marion made us little books of all the sites we planned on seeing along with pictures and empty pages so that we could fill them with our own pictures. It's really nice (Thanks, Marion!).

The highlight of the Gainesville trip (and I think the others will agree) was Glen Springs Pool. We met the nicest lady who bar tends there. It is now an Elks Club. The woman gave us a tour (I think her name was Debbie) and they have a room there that has pictures of what it looked like way back when Tom would have gone there. She took us out to the pool. Of course it is not operable anymore. But she explained all about the pool. She was a great tour guide. We just loved her.

Also in the bar that day we met the original rhythm guitarist for The Sundowners. His name is Richie Hinson and he was so nice to us. He explained how he got kicked out of the band because he was more interested in the girls than the boys, lol. He said they gave him some money and asked him to leave the band. He had no hard feelings. We asked him if he went to the show the night before and he said he didn't. He said he and Tom didn't keep in touch over the years.

He took some pictures with us, I'm sure Marion will post one.

We also went to Dub's. It wasn't open. It is now a private club, The Sunshine Eagles. The guy that would have been able to let us in had surgery. But we took some pictures from the outside and it was neat just being there.

Oh and before I go on, we met up with Danny Mac who toured with us for part of the afternoon. What a great guy! Thanks for everything, Danny!

That leads me to tell you about the slab. Danny has a restaurant in Alachua and on display he has "The Slab." Again, pictures were taken, and we will share.

We also went to Devil's Millhopper, Lillian's Music Store (which is now a bar, but they kept that name, which I thought was cool). We bought t-shirts there.

Also on our tour went to The Cypress Lounge (now called Muneguns (sp?)). Right next to the bar is a 441 sign, so of course being the good TPATH fans we all are, we took our picture in front of the 441 sign with the bar behind us, LOL! Someone rode by us and beeped. We believe it was Stan, HAHAHA! :003:

A guy in a truck was exiting the Walgreen's next door to us and stopped and hopped out and offered to take a picture for us so we could all be in it! How nice was that?!

We also went to Lipham's Music Store, saw The Tench Building, gosh what else? I feel like I have forgotten something.

Anyway, that's enough out of me. I'll let the others post their story and thoughts. I just had such a great time and I miss everyone so much already. What a great trip and it was all last minute for me! It couldn't have worked out better if it was planned! :heart:

What a GREAT show! ZZ Top was incredible. By far my favorite opening act I've ever seen for TPATH. They were just the coolest dudes! lol

Always something special about seeing TPATH in Florida. (Going to Gainesville the next day really capped it off. So fun!) They were great. The MOJO songs were great and the crowd was really into it. I was in the front row with Marion in front of Mike. We had thought we would be in front of Ron. Having MC in front of you playing the heck out of the guitar, well, it doesn't get any better than that!

Here's my fun story! On the plane from KC to Tampa, we stopped in Chicago. No plane change, just a stop. After everyone got off, there were about 10 of us left. I notice two guys, one with a TPATH hoodie on. It said 2008 tour but I had not seen that particular hoodie before. So naturally, not wanting to regret not saying something, I asked him about it. I think I said something like, Tom Petty, do you like him? He just smiled and said, no, not really. LOL He was kidding! He was the lighting and set change guy and the other guy was one of the video guys. They have been touring with them for 20 years! They both live in Kansas City, the first being born and raised here. He went to high school with my brother in law and cousins and recognized my maiden name (Slavic and unusual). He was on the same swim team as my husband back in the day. Small world! We had a nice visit with them and got to introduce them to everyone picking us up at the airport. I said, look what I found! A lighting and video guy! LOLOLOL

I told them I would look for them at the show. Saw one of them on stage and waved. Then they each came over and gave me some goodies! I got a drumstick and a hand full of picks and a set list! It made my day. So nice of them. I guess they figured they would hook up a fellow Kansas Citian. :)

Had a great time at Pete and Marion's as usual. Marion is going to post a Gainesville thread. It's so special (as dorky as that sounds, lol) to go there. :heart:

What a fun read! Thanks SO much for sharing about your fun weekend. It sounds superb and I'm looking forward to reading more from others. I just love this Farm!!!

^Lizzie, I think we need to do a girls trip for Mudcrutch or the Dirty Knobs!

Definitely!! I sure hope the Knobs play this winter and we will be there!

You guys should create a tour guide manual with directions for us other farmers that we could use to take a trip to Gainesville and see all these spots. Yes, it does sound dorky....but I guess that makes me one too, because it sounds like a really great trip to me! Is the Mudcrutch Farm still a farm?

No. Marion told us the area that Mudcrutch Farm was on is now a housing development (like the rest of America, right?) *sigh*

Tee's story is cool, huh? Those guys seemed so nice. I saw them coming out to give Tee her little presents. I thought that was just so nice! :)

Hey, this dork had her Gainesville tour last year with Marion and Pete as my guides, of course! I LOVED it! It's just something I've always wanted to see for myself, having heard so much about it over so many years. And just going to Florida was a first for me too. Now I can finally check it off my list.

Reading your posts brought it all back for me. What fun! Gainesville was bigger than I thought it would be, at least now.

Sounds like you guys had a great time saw lots of cool things and met some exciting people. I am very jealous, to say the least. I would love to see all of those things and would definitely want all of those "dorky" pictures too! I really missed seeing a show with a group of fans this year. I am soooo looking forward to the Bowl and Castle!! (I pulled a Pool row 3 on TM during my search--woohoo!) Pete still needs a ticket, fingers crossed. See some of you there. It won't be the same without Marion and Teresa though. Thanks again for sharing your adventure and looking forward to the pictures.