Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

Friends of Warren Zevon To Play at Maverick Saloon

Friends of Warren Zevon To Play at Maverick Saloon - Raising Awareness of Asbestos Cancer, Mesothelioma

SANTA BARBARA, Calif., Nov. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The Maverick Saloon will host a tribute to the late songwriter Warren Zevon on December 8, 2007 from 4 PM until 7 PM to raise research money and awareness for Mesothelioma, the disease that claimed the life of the much loved and respected troubadour.

Tickets for the show are $35.00 and will be available November 5, 2007 at The Maverick Saloon or by going on the web to http://www.syvjoneshouse.com. The proceeds from the show will go to The Mesothelioma Applied ResearchFoundation http://www.curemeso.org/ located in Santa Barbara, CA and theAsbestos Disease Awareness Organization http://www.asbestosdiseaseawareness.org/ .

Several well-known artists who played with Zevon will join Zevon's son ADAO National Spokesperson Jordan Zevon at the world famous saloon to perform Warren Zevon songs. Zevon's final album The Wind earned two posthumous Grammy Awards in 2004 for BestRock Vocal Performance and Best Contemporary Folk album.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist Mike Campbell will be performing with his band The Dirty Knobs. Campbell, best known for his work as the lead guitar player with Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, has appeared on several Warren Zevon albums including the Grammy winning The Wind.

Santa Barbara resident Kenny Edwards will also be on hand to play. Edwards, folk-rock veteran and co-founder of the Stone Poneys with Linda Ronstadt and Bryndle with Karla Bonoff, recorded several hits for Ronstadt that were written by Warren Zevon, including Carmelita, Hasten Down the Wind, and Poor Poor Pitiful Me. In addition, Edwards played on some of Warren's albums as well, including Zevon's best-known album Excitable Boy.

Joining Campbell and Edwards will be LA based multi-instrumentalist and composer Matt Cartsonis. Cartsonis has written several scores for film, television and various commercials. Cartsonis has worked with both Zevon and Edwards. Cartsonis also has the distinction of playing with Zevon on Zevon's final tour before he was diagnosed with mesothelioma.

Finally, rounding out the roster of players who worked with Zevon is Los Angeles based singer songwriter Phil Cody who spent a significant amount of time in the 1990s touring with Zevon and shares stories and insights in the new Zevon biography "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" by former Zevon spouse Crystal Zevon.

Several up and coming young artists from the central coast, including Crosby Loggins, Paul Cartwright and the Nathan McEuen Band will open the show with their renditions of Zevon songs. For more information please contact Karen or Kara Jones, 805 688-7786 or go to http://www.syvjoneshouse.com.

Santa Barbara resident Kenny Edwards will also be on hand to play. Edwards, folk-rock veteran and co-founder of the Stone Poneys with Linda Ronstadt and Bryndle with Karla Bonoff, recorded several hits for Ronstadt that were written by Warren Zevon, including Carmelita, Hasten Down the Wind, and Poor Poor Pitiful Me. In addition, Edwards played on some of Warren's albums as well, including Zevon's best-known album Excitable Boy.

. . .

Several up and coming young artists from the central coast, including Crosby Loggins, Paul Cartwright and the Nathan McEuen Band will open the show with their renditions of Zevon songs. For more information please contact Karen or Kara Jones, 805 688-7786 or go to http://www.syvjoneshouse.com.

Seeing Kenny Edwards will be exciting for me - Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys were favorites of mine, as was Karla Bonoff.

Suppose Corsby Loggins is any relation to Kenny Loggins?

I just received this from Karen Jones -

Here is the review from the Santa Barbara News-Press.

In Concert : An excitable tribute : Late Warren Zevon is given a rousing tribute at Maverick Saloon

JOSEF WOODARD, NEWS-PRESS CORRESPONDENT

December 12, 2007 7:06 AM

For more than three hours on Saturday at Maverick Saloon, afternoon bled into evening as the Santa Ynez hangout played host to "A Tribute to Warren Zevon."

Both hits and the obscure songs kept coming, warmed up for our aural pleasure by noted local musicians, including Crosby Loggins and Kenny Edwards, who played on Mr. Zevon's recordings, as well as some celebrated visitors from Los Angeles, including his son Jordan Zevon, Warren Zevon bandmate and multi-instrumentalist Matt Cartsonis and Tom Petty guitarist Mike Campbell, with his band the Dirty Knobs.

Self-described Warren Zevon fan Karen Jones organized the event, along with Jones House Music, and she kept the friendly banter flowing throughout. She's an unpretentious, charismatic emcee, who got some help from former KTYD personality Mike Dawson at the microphone.

To boot, it was an artist-specific fundraiser, with proceeds going to the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization and the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, relevant to Mr. Zevon's death from mesothelioma in 2003.

In short, all seemed right with the show and the music, even given the expected rough spots -- and its cause. And yet perhaps the most memorable aspect of the tribute was the generous spotlight it cast on the remarkable Zevon songbook, still an underrated treasure trove of songs alternately sweet and wild, romantic and rebellious. Therein lay the Zevon dichotomy at its most impressive.

As a songwriter, Mr. Zevon scored a number of radio hits, courtesy of covers by Linda Rondstadt and Jackson Browne. Those songs showed up on Saturday, including Mr. Loggins' clear-toned take on "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me," and Mr. Edwards' plaintive love song-slinging with "Hasten Down the Wind." Mr. Loggins also sang Mr. Zevon's sad-sack tale, "Carmelita," a Jackson Browne specialty, with its offbeat catchy refrain "I'm all strung out on heroin on the outskirts of town."

But many of Mr. Zevon's songs that failed to become widely popular amount to a personal style he honed. Typically, he wrote songs with just a few familiar chords, paired up with standard song structures and hooks, into which he would toss witticisms, reminding everyone within earshot he was smarter than the average popster.

We got juicy tidbits from that bad, excitable-boy side of Mr. Zevon: When Mr. Cartsonis sang "For My Trick I'll Need a Volunteer," when Mr. Campbell rocked out on "Sentimental Hygiene" and the kinetic groover we'll call "My (Stuff's) (Messed) Up" (a later Warren Zevon song, with a title proudly resistant to family newspaper standards).

For his mini-set, Jordan Zevon called out the lesser-known but instantly likable "Desperados Under the Eaves" and the coyly titled "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead," then capped it off with one of Warren Zevon's riff-enriched rocker beauts, "Lawyers, Guns and Money." But then Phil Cody, a singer-songwriter who befriended and toured with Mr. Zevon in his later years, brought the emotional lights down for a should-be classic, "Heartache Spoken Here," a sweet jewel of a tune.

By show's end, the stage was packed to overflow with musicians as they launched into Mr. Zevon's self-descriptive classic "Excitable Boy" and his quirkiest signature tune, "Werewolves of London."

When all was done and said and sung, we all got the feeling that the warm spirit of the place would have brought a smile to Mr. Zevon. And maybe it did, wherever he is. Clearly, his own artistic voice was abuzz in this happy saloon. Long live his songbook.

Mike Dawson was there???? Oh man! I miss him SO much, he is so cool. I need to email him.

He can sing too. Played in some local bands. Ames, he played with the host and his own band at Toro Canyon.

Sharon, Carol and Val saw him open for the Knobs at your very first DK gig.

Mike Dawson was there???? Oh man! I miss him SO much, he is so cool. I need to email him.

He can sing too. Played in some local bands. Ames, he played with the host and his own band at Toro Canyon.

Sharon, Carol and Val saw him open for the Knobs at your very first DK gig.

You're right...I forgot about that...

Here's another review...

LOL...

Last but not least was a set from the night’s only legitimate rock star, Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

http://www.vcreporter.com/article.php?id=5500&IssueNum=154

how long did zevon have this disease before he died?

He was diagnosed late August 2002 and was given approx. 3 months to live. He died Sept. 7, 2003. I'm firmly convinced the love & support of friends, family & fans and meaningful work kept him going long after the docs thought he'd be gone. (And the desire to hold his grandbabies - his daughter birthed twins in June of 2003).

-- Lucy