Sign in to follow this  
Starfish

Dirty Knobs music on Starcraft 2?

My son just called - he's playing Starcraft 2, and apparently one of the songs on the game is a little ditty by Mike Campbell and The Dirty Knobs called "Rumble." Sorry if this is old news... it's new to me!

Brian wrote up a little synopsis of where the song appears in the game - and he played the song for me today. Sweet!

On the fringe world colony of Mar Sara, there is a bar called Joeyray's. The bar is often frequented by Jim Raynor, formal marshal and current rebel leader in the struggle against the Terran Dominion. In the bar is a juebox. Among the songs on the jukebox are Big Tuna's cover of Sweet Home Alabama, The Blaster's version of Free Bird, and Rumble by "Mike Campbell and The Dirty Knobs."

When Mar Sara was invaded by the evil Zerg army, the Dominion failed to provide assistance to the populace. Raynor evacuated with his army on his battle cruiser, the Hyperion. The jukebox now plays in the ship's cantina.

Interesting. Need to hear the song from the game. The soundtrack downloads I have found don't mention it by the name "rumble."

The song titles and musicians are shown when you play the jukebox, and that's definitely what it says - the song is Rumble, and the band is listed as Mike Campbell and The Dirty Knobs.

Sorry it's been so long since posting anything, but this slapped me in the face when I first heard it and knew that you guys would be able to 'authenticate' because it sounds just like them, and seeings how Blizzard is based out of CA, I wouldn't be too surprised if they were fans of the guys. Oh and just so you can hear it:

this is for the song in question

this is an idea of what the cantina looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzkyza7rm40

and if you do a search for 'starcraft cantina' on youtube, you'll find some of the other songs on the mounted jukebox, nice rockabilly flavor, love it.

If that ain't Mike, he sure as hell sounds like 'em!

The tone, the little licks, that's totally his playing style.

Wouldn't there have been a little announcement though if the Knobs had a song in a new game?

Either way, thanks for posting that, seannapier!

I LOVE Rumble. We have it on our jukebox by Link Wray and His Ray Men. It's one of the coolest songs ever. It was made for the jukebox. I wonder if that really could be The Dirty Knobs.

This is our jukebox.

jukebox1.JPG