Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

MOJO - Song of the Day - I Should Have Known It

Since I think most of us have a copy of MOJO by now, let's discuss the songs.

Let's start today off with I Should Have Known It - your thoughts?

I Should Have Known It

Composer Tom Petty & Mike Campbell

I shoulda known it

I shoulda seen

Leave it to you

To treat me mean

Every promise was just a runaround

I shoulda known it

Yeah you’re gonna let me down

Well it’s over now you see

It’s the last time you’re gonna hurt me

I shoulda known it

Hard to believe

It was all right there

In front of me

Sold down the river

Left for dead

Yeah you’re puttin’ ideas

In another man’s head

And it’s over now you see

Thanks for nothin’

Yeah thanks a lot

Go ahead baby

Take all I got

And it’s over now ya see

A great rock track, very much Zep in there. Again, Mike and his guitar are the protagonists on this one. Tom's vocals are just perfect. The breaks and the change in tempo near the end are making this a very entertaining piece of music.

If I remember correctly, this one and "Good Enough" were recorded very late in the process of making Mojo. Maybe the record company demanded a real rocker to have a radio single?

This one gets me beating on the steering wheel! It sounds like the guys are just ripping it up in the studio and having a blast! I too with them! I think when I see this live I am going to dance my a** off!

we have been rehearsing this one, it's fun to play. Although having to bring an extra guitar tuned down a whole step to play it is going to be kind of a pain.

The band really has to be in sync for this to sound right, since multiple people are playing the same riff/line. Kind of like "Oh Well". Anyone slightly off just kills it, especially the descending riff after the stops. Sounds cool when you get it right though.

I love this one. The video is great too. Mike is ripping and rocking here, while Tom is revealing the "old Tom" we used to see...snearing, sort of angry. This one is already a classic.

I was with 4 of my best-est friends when I saw this video for the first time. I'll never forget it! Fun, fun, fun! We were all like, YEAH BABY!! This song will always be special to me because of that moment. :)

I just listened to a live version of this and I gotta say, I can see why the song was a part of every concert following the Mojo tour; it's really good. One of the heaviest tunes they wrote, with three separate and good riffs/chord progressions, a cool double-time outro and a thick groove! I think it was a good precursor for Hypnotic Eye and one of the hardest rocking songs they came up with. Always thought it would be good with a more extended version but oh well, it's still one of the more unique songs they wrote and especially in context of a concert, different from the others by virtue of its harder edge.

cheers