Sign in to follow this  
Marion

Random Photo of the Day

^ Oh God that is a beautiful picture - I did save a copy when I first saw it - but here's the one I will be doing:

0197.jpg

I have a close-up (guitar body only) from the previous night where he's finger picking, but that shirt is horrible. (compositionallyspeaking, it makes a difference)

Btw, what's that little hole for at the base of the headstock?

I wish I knew more about the guitars as I paint them. When I showed the Rickenbacker painting to Mike, he told me a lot about it, including the proper model.

Thanks for the info on the '72. :-)

Ooooh! Thanks for both the link and the info on that little hole. I do a lot of online searching when I am unsure about a detail, and it helps if I am looking at the right guitar!

The exception being Dick Dale's Beast - the tuning pegs look like they have been replaced recently, the volume knob has been replaced with a toggle switch, the tone knobs are simply gone, etc. I'm sure these modifications are 'under the hood' as it were, and I am just seeing what's on the outside.

detail: that b-bender has 8 scews around the pickguard edge and then 1 screw on each side of each pickup for a total of 12 screws.

the dick dale has so many mods, you'd have to talk to him about it. i'll see if i can locate the pix and see what i can tell.

:) I'll run over to Wonder Valley and see if he's home.

This isn't a good photo for a painting, but it's good for reference because it shows a lot of detail:

001Reference.jpg

Besides the strap buttons being gone, you'll notice that the flag sticker is nearly rubbed off. I took this in March, and all of the photos I've seen online are much older. I think the tuning pegs are new too.

pegs0162.jpg

To have it strung like that and play the way he does must put tremendous stress on it that it was never designed for.

I think the writing at the top of the pick guard is show to how to tune the strings. It says G,E,D,B,A.

Edited by weird monkey

it's hard to say what he did. the tuners look a bit like mini shallers, but you'd have to see the back of the headstock to know for sure. as far as the tone knobs, maybe he didn't want to play with them during each song and get it right. maybe he replaced them with 2 way or 3 way toggle switches that are dialed into his own sounds, then just flip a switch for that sound instead of constatly adusting the old rotary pots. it would be intesting to talk to him about all the mods. oh, the tuners could also be old klusons, like the ric's had.