Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

Dana Petty on Mojo

From a post in a thread at www.tompetty.com -

I haven't checked into this site in a long time. I find some of this surprising. TP and the band are pro's who worked HARD on this album (as always). A "live take" means that they didn't record parts separately. (not that they hurried through- not caring!) I LOVE Mojo! It's hard to deny the true artistry here. They are amazing musicians! I am very proud of them. I'm not alone in thinking Mojo is one of their best records yet. Just wait 'til you hear it live and/or in it's entirety!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dana, May 17, 2010 03:27 AM

I honestly don't get why some people are bitching about this record.

I really, truly think this is gonna be a huge record for the band. They're so loose now and showing off the muscle that they all pack.

So many fans just seem so...I dunno, grumpy and negative about anything TPATH is doing.

Is this all stemming from the tour re-shuffling or do people really hate this new record that much?

And right on to Dana for going online and speakin' her mind. :P

Nice to hear from her. Just yesterday, I was wondering whether everything was fine with her and Tom - after listening to "Good Enough" and "I Should Have Known It", for a moment I was a bit sceptical.

On the other hand, I guess that's what a good lyricist can do to you...

Always nice to see a woman defending her man - though in this case the album obviously needs no defending. Even if the album is not your cup of tea I don't think there is a fan (or novice) alive who could deny that the band is amazingly talented and can perform the crap out of any song - these included.

I don't speak for that other board - but as has been said a million times before - how embarrassing for that place to officially represent TPaTHs fans.

I think this album is going to hold up well in the long run, like all great albums do. The more songs I hear from it, the more I am looking forward to putting it on my turntable (yep, I ordered the LP) and turning it up to 11! :020:

To be honest, I had my doubts when the songs first started appearing, but each one is better than the last, and I like them all more every time I listen to them. It depends on people's tastes though, and a lot of people prefer the same old, same old.

They do a lot of bitching on that other board. We seem to be a lot more mellow most of the time. I guess farmers are more laid back.

I am liking the music a lot! I love the growth of the band and the fact that they surprise me. The fact that they change and grow is the reason I like the band and their music. As stated, the songs are getting better and better. I can't wait to see/hear them live.

I love everything I've heard, which is all the stuff in bold in this list. My only concern is the lack of major key songs so far. But I'm pretty sure most of what we haven't heard will be kinda major, just based on the titles. If No Reason to Cry isn't in the vain of Orphan of the Storm, I'll eat my hat.

1. Jefferson Jericho Blues (On SNL)

2. First Flash Of Freedom

3. Running Man’s Bible

4. The Trip To Pirate’s Cove

5. Candy

6. No Reason To Cry

7. I Should Have Known It (Video and on SNL)

8. U.S. 41

9. Takin’ My Time

10. Let Yourself Go

11. Don’t Pull Me Over (This is gonna be a reggae song)

12. Lover’s Touch

13. High In The Morning

14. Something Good Coming

15. Good Enough

Sometimes I feel that many people on the oficial board aren't even Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers fans, like they're there just to argue about non relevant stuff and bitch about every single thing that's related to the band, I feel ashamed as a real fan that Dana had to post that...

Obviously everybody has the right to dislike the album, but I just can't see how somebody would...:icon_mrgreen: This album, from the 8 songs I've heard so far, is already my favorite, it just rocks!

Edited by henriheartbreaker

I'm a long time Tom Petty fan, and I'm not bitching as so many people seem to see it. But I'm merely saying, apologies to all (although why I feel the need to apologise I don't know) but I do not like what I've heard and it's very unlikely I will buy this album. No bitching here, just saying I don't care for it. Surely a person can voice their opinion? No? Hmmm well I see then.

Just don't ask my opinion on any song with Pirate in the name - the ladies heard me rant over and over about that last week. It could have been anything but Pirates!

The problem is as it's always been. God forbid one has a different opinion of ANYTHING at all from the masses and has a mind of their own. If you don't "play the game" you are labelled as negative. I might just add here, that I've bought every single other Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers allbum and Tom's solo albums (Which incidentally I prefer!) plus TW's. Some of them I've bought twice (DON'T ASK). I'm just saving my money on this one. No problem, God, after 30 years or so there's bound to be something he does which I don't like. Doesn't mean I'm stopped being a fan.

Maybe how the tour was handled has cast a negative shadow on the album for some? Although I know that around here many positive things have been said about the album, and it seems most of us are over the tour silliness by now. (Not me, yet, lol.)

When people ask me what kind of music do I listen to, I tell tham that I'm not afraid of music. This means that I am flexible in listening to all genres. Maybe this is the way the band is thinking. They are musicians and music allows you to express emotions in different ways. I would be bored listening to the same thing over and over and I can't wait to get this CD to see how many musicial directions they are going to.

Just don't ask my opinion on any song with Pirate in the name - the ladies heard me rant over and over about that last week. It could have been anything but Pirates!

Maybe Tom should rename it "Trip to Gray Whale Cove" :003:

(I, for one, would love to know what the rant was all about)

The same people that post over on the offical post over here. They just feel free to say what they want.

I feel they can here too BUT it doesn't seem to happen.

Thanks for your honesty Emmie.

Every time I go over to the officials to see what people saying about the new songs the threads start off okay but by the 5th or 6th post they are all fighting and it's not even about the song. It's personal bickering. I just back out and take my leave.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with a person stating they don't like the songs. Everyone is not going to care for everything. It's when the criticism gets hateful or just plain mean that I object to. No need for that. I mean, is it the intent to hurt the band's feelings?

I like everything I've heard so far, some more than others. I am very happy to see the band put out an album of songs they really like and I'm looking forward to the rest of the album. :)