Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

First Part Tom Petty & Heartbreakers Tour Re-Routed

what a major upseter....Hope everyone is able to reschedule without too much trouble....i'm sure this rescheduling is rough on the venues/other support acts as well... seems weird that just not having the album done would be reason enough to move things around like that.....maybe the artwork is the hold up! keeping my fingers crossed there are no more issues like this!

Wow...I feel for the people who lost out on the shows and travel costs. I don't think this has ever happened before. This is historic, like the economy. I hope the economic mojo will improve for everyone. I'm sure the band isn't happy either.

^ I do too, Marion.

And whatever the reason is, the fans DO deserve an explanation. If I have to read one more time, "They don't owe us any explanation," I am going to scream. YES, THEY DO! :mad:

As I stated in my post last night, I can maneuver my Tampa trip around. Work will have no problem rescheduling my vacation time I would have been using (actually they will be thrilled, because we are so short right now, and so very busy!). Hopefully Amy is right and can switch my Southwest flight. (Amy, I did not purchase the extra for the non refundable stuff, don't know if that matters or not :confused:)

And, last but not least, I sincerely hope some of us can still get together in Tampa in September, and have a great time with one another! :)

I think the reason given for this debacle is weak and inexcusable. But I'm not surprised.

Sorry to all of you who are affected by this mess. I hope things work out for you all.

And whatever the reason is, the fans DO deserve an explanation. If I have to read one more time, "They don't owe us any explanation," I am going to scream. YES, THEY DO! :mad:

Sadly, I think their explanation is the "delay of the album release". I think that is all we are going to get. LAME! I am sorry for everyone who is getting screwed in this deal.

^ Thanks Nel -

getting a bit hairy over there.

I wish I was surprised, but it's getting to be more a surprise when they get things right. The worst pre-sales debacle I can remember, now this. Said a million times before but this has to be the most poorly managed band in the history of modern music. I can no longer fool myself into considering that they don't know precisely how this affects the fans, but they made a calculated decision to do it anyways.

I can't believe they'd do this to the fans. There has to be an important reason for it, but they should realize they're screwing over so many of the loyal fans who finalized travel plans, hotel accommodations and flights for the month of May. And the tour was just a mere few weeks away, so I'm willing to bet most fans had everything booked and ready to go.

My shows are unaffected, but I almost gave myself a stroke reading that email yesterday. Regardless, I am shocked TPATH management allowed this to occur. Yet another disaster...how forgiving can the fans be? It's quite bothersome.

I hope Tom releases some kind of statement providing and explanation or apology. It should come directly from him.

^ that would certainly go a long way as far as I'm concerned.

Also some leniency as far as Will Call pickup for fans who have bought in pairs. New dates mean some can go, some can't. Not fair to have both miss their shows.

I'm going to be so sad to turn in these tickets :(

Whenever tours are cancelled or postponed, 99% of the time it's due to low ticket sales but they never admit that's the reason, not on the record anyway. For the Blossom show, you can still get 6th row center without HC Club and those seats have been available for a long time, they weren't just thrown back. I think they seriously misjudged what people were willing or able to pay for tickets this time around.

SON OF A B! LA is now in October...so I could've actually made a show. KATIE SMASH! :mad:

I don't believe the album delay bollocks one bit - something else has to be going on...

I'm so sorry for all of you that managed to survive the ticket-buying nightmare and now have to deal with this. Ridiculous!

^ Thanks Nel -

getting a bit hairy over there.

I wish I was surprised, but it's getting to be more a surprise when they get things right. The worst pre-sales debacle I can remember, now this. Said a million times before but this has to be the most poorly managed band in the history of modern music. I can no longer fool myself into considering that they don't know precisely how this affects the fans, but they made a calculated decision to do it anyways.

I'm disappointed too - I could really use a lift right now - but I'm not out any money, nor will I have to decide whether to try and reschedule a vacation or cancel my plans altogether. I'd be pissed as hell too right now, if I were in the situation some of you are in, particularly folks who planned to travel a long way.

It does seem like management hasn't been on the ball lately. After all these years, a situation like this shouldn't have happened - this ain't their first rodeo by a long shot. There is also the strong possibility that a legal issue or something came up after everyone thought the album was ready, the tour could be scheduled, and the tickets went on sale.

We don't know for sure how long this has been an issue, or whether Tom went to bat for us, and maybe he did fight for us. I think it's unfair to assume he didn't, just because there was a poor outcome. If he did, and was successful keeping the schedule as it was, instead of the current fiasco, we'd have never known.

I honestly don't think Tom (and whoever else has to make these decisions), took this as lightly as people seem to think. If you just think about the logistics from a business point of view, of moving the first 9 dates of of a major tour to the end of it, and all the people involved and inconvenienced - not just fans, it's a huge deal.

SON OF A B! LA is now in October...so I could've actually made a show. KATIE SMASH! :mad:

I don't believe the album delay bollocks one bit - something else has to be going on...

I'm so sorry for all of you that managed to survive the ticket-buying nightmare and now have to deal with this. Ridiculous!

Well, Katie, as has been pointed out, some people will have to throw their tickets back, and I would hope that a person in the opposite situation - couldn't go in spring, but can go in fall - could buy a ticket now and not be castigated for it.

For those who blame poor ticket sales, not the album release date - that doesn't make sense either. The time of year that the original dates were on is prime concert season. The band is no more likely to resell the returned tickets for the shows rescheduled for late September.

Regardles of the reason, I am willing to give TPATH the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Edited by weird monkey

I think you are right Amy. Many fans have been screwed whether people want to hear that or not. Horrible disappointment not to mention loss of money to the fans who made extensive travel arrangements, booked vacations from work, paid the extra $40/$45 to join the fan club, booked accommodations etc. I thank God, I'm not one of them but I really feel for them. Especially as this band hasn't toured outside North America in a very, very long time, the hard core fans made all these arrangements from afar to see a show and bang...right out of the blue it was all for nothing.