Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

The Dirty Knobs Live at Cozy's -12/11 & 12/12 UPDATE

You got some really nice sots of both bands, Ames. Especially the Bells. I'd like to see the complete Swamp Opera and their classic rock show. I can't imagine 2 such completely different kinds of show.

Wow, crossed guitar necks ftw. I'll have to move that one up in the painting queue, but Ape's 'fingering' may need an adjustment.

Wow, thanks for all the great pictures! Do you guys know how LUCKY you are? How lucky you are to live in L.A.!? :D I guess I live in the smallest VIILAGE on EARTH in the middle of NOWHERE. :eek: However, I'm glad you post those pictures so that I can get a glimpse of what it was like...

Next year, in case the Heartbreakers won't tour, I'll visit California and hope the Dirty Knobs will give a show then. :)

I never regret travelling from Nashville to California.....DK is simply the most awesome best!!!!

I would travel all the way from here to anywhere to see them if I only had the money and time... :085:

By the way, do the Dirty Knobs only play in L.A. or also in other American cities?

Anway, I think I saw a picture of you and Mike you'd posted on Myspace, that is so awesome! :) You're so lucky!!

I would love to hear what it was like!

Edited by MJ§LastDance

Although I wish they would play outside of California so that everyone who wanted to could get a chance to hear the magic, I have never heard of them doing so.

All the gigs I have gone to have been between Santa Barbara and San Diego although I understand they have played Northern California in the past.

If you come out some day, give us all a heads up. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who would love to join you at a gig!

And yes, we are very lucky indeed to have musicians such as these living and playing so close by. Maybe even better than winning the lottery.

Edited by Relic

^ He looks like Dorf! Jason must be very well balanced - there have been several times when I just expect him to topple over any moment!

What lens(es) did you use that weekend? When I get a new dslr (one of these days), I'm thinking of getting a 50mm 1.4, which is about all I could afford. I want a fast lens so I don't have to use a flash! The depth of field is pretty shallow in that picture, btw, it's very nice.

They say the 'holy trinity' of canon primes is the 85 1.2L, 35 1.4L and the 135 2.0L. I own the 85 and 35 and used both for these gigs. I think I was off my mark but the band was red hot (as usual)!

I used the 35mm for the shot above and owing to the virtual darkness I set the camera to ISO 6400, f/1.4 and only barely managed to stop the action with 1/200 shutter speed. That was also using -1/3 stop manual exposure compensation because that beer sign behind Mike drives even my automatic spot light meter crazy - something about the reds.... I also reduced the exposure 1/2 stop in post processing. Could have really used some fill flash but you know how I feel about flash - although I have to say that the best gig photos of the weekend were taken with a flash IMHO so my style absolutely has its disadvantages. If there had been a little more light I might ahve been able to downshift to ISO 3200 and reduce the grain a lot.

Club lighting changes from night to night and gig to gig. I'm always chasing the lights. Angles were limited too because these guys are so damn popular that EVERYONE wants to squeeze into the club. Can't say as I blame them, but at times I wish all the guests were as short as Jason looks in that photo. If they were they would be easier to shoot over :)

I've heard the 50mm f/1.8 called the 'plastic fantastic'. I think the 1.4 has a metal case, and ought to work better wide open. Its supposed to be a good lens, and fast focusing. The 50mm f/1.2 is said to have an aperture / focus interaction that leads to OOF photos at specific distances when using apertures other than f/1.2. I couldn't see spending 2 grand on a defective lens design, but I would love to have the 50mm focal length.

I have also been feeling the need for something wider than 35mm. There is a 24mm f/1.4L II that is supposed to be lovely but that glass is real expensive - also about 2 grand. Not sure 10 less mm would make the difference I am craving, but in order to avoid shooting thru the crowd I am at the foot of the stage and its tough to shoe-horn all that Knobby goodness into the frame with the 35 sometimes.

Remind me next time and Ill let you try some of my lenses at the next gig. The 85 is really delicate and heavy and the rear element extends flush with the mount, so you have to be super careful not to scratch it when mounting / dismounting it - its a total nightmare to do in a crowded club in the dark! The 35 is pretty light. If you want to try an image stabilized zoom, I also have the 70-200 f/2.8L IS which is good when lurking around the edges of the room if the lights are up a little. No good for a camera mounted flash though unless you have a flash bracket - the lens shadows the flash otherwise.

Still cant get over Friday's shift into Jazz and jammy blues. Wow!

Edited by Relic

Lots of good info, thanks Steve.

Just so I don't totally derail the thread, here's a few more from the 12th, starting with Mr Goldfingers hisownself:

219.jpg

I really wish I had gotten pictures of the crowd at the foot of the stage, listening with rapt attention

184.jpg

175.jpg

...I've heard the 50mm f/1.8 called the 'plastic fantastic'. I think the 1.4 has a metal case, and ought to work better wide open. Its supposed to be a good lens, and fast focusing. The 50mm f/1.2 is said to have an aperture / focus interaction that leads to OOF photos at specific distances when using f/1.2. I couldn't see spending 2 grand on a defective lens design, but I would love to have the 50mm focal length.

Still cant get over Friday's shift into Jazz and jammy blues. Wow!

Now a little more camera talk (nothing to see here folks, just move along...)

For under $100, the f/1.8 gets raves for sure. For around $350 street, is there a huge difference between the metal f/1.4 and the f/1.8? The 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens in the T1i kit bundle seems a little underwhelming.

Afterall, my A2's built- in lens is a 28mm to 200mm f/2.8 - f/3.5 7 zoom, so I wonder if I ought to go body only and get the fast 50mm and another 28/200mm? The T1i's 3/4 size mirror apparently has some pros and cons too, but it fits my budget, and if I invest in lenses (obviously not the f/1.8), someday I can invest in a better body, God willing and the hardware specs don't change. :) Some days I miss my 35mm Minolta.

Pie in the sky! I do hope I have a new camera by the time we meet up again to see the Knobs!

And what Marion said, I feel like I can touch your photos.

Edited by weird monkey

Gosh I love those shots! Great times at Cozys huh? :)

If you can afford it and intend to shoot wide open, go for the f/1.4. It will be a lot sharper at f/1.8 than the f/1.8 lens and let you work in even lower light if you need to.

With your eye for shooting (and a few of my lenses) you are going to put me out of a job :)