Sign in to follow this  
Marion

Martin HD-40 TP Tom Petty D-45 Appts - Custom Limited

Tom Petty Spreads Full Moon Fever With Six- And Twelve-String Signature Editions

petty.jpg

Whether making music with the Heartbreakers, the Traveling Wilburys or on his own, Tom Pett y defines straight-ahead, no excuses rock and roll. Integrity and commitment shine in his music, as brilliant on disc as in concert. After nearly 30 years of non-stop success, Tom Petty shows no signs of slowing down: his songwriting and playing retain a timeless power few can match.

Acoustic guitars are everywhere in Petty’s music. In his “Full Moon Fever” solo album, in albums with the Heartbreakers and during a portion of many of his concerts, both 6-strings and 12-strings are front and center. Petty also does much of his songwriting on acoustics; so when Tom Pett y agreed to let C. F. Martin build a signature instrument bearing his name, the biggest challenge was whether (based on the many ways he uses acoustics) the choices might prove a bit overwhelming.

In fact, Petty knew exactly what he wanted, and it wasn’t one guitar, but two: a matched pair, 6-string and 12-string. He also had the specifications for each: The HD-40 and HD12-40 Tom Petty Signature Editions are those guitars.

The Tom Petty Signature Editions are eyecatching instruments with beautiful pearl inlays throughout. Each of these Dreadnoughts features an ivoroid-bound ebony fingerboard with spectacular “Full Moon Fever” position markers inlaid in black mother of pearl, silver awabi pearl and brilliant blue paua pearl. The fingerboard inlays follow the phases of the moon: new moon at the 1st fret, quarter moon with small star at the 3rd fret, half moon with small star at the 5th fret, three-quarter moon with small star at the 7th fret, full moon with small star at the 9th fret, three stars at the 12th fret and single stars at the 15th and 17th frets. Tom Petty’s signature is inlaid in pale gold agoya pearl between the 19th and 20th frets.

Framed with ivoroid binding and mitered black/white line inlays, the polished black ebony headplate provides the “canvas” for a select abalone pearl rendition of Martin’s “alternative torch” inlay, a rare pattern that originated with one of the first Martin 00-45s in 1902. The Style 45 rosette showcases a center ring inlay of blue paua pearl, and abalone pearl dots on the ebony bridge pins and endpin contribute a touch of extra flash.

Superb solid tonewoods add to the beauty of these guitars. The Italian alpine spruce top, prized for rich, powerful tone, is matched to carefully scalloped Sitka spruce braces. The back and sides are crafted from handsome East Indian rosewood. The low profile neck is carved from genuine mahogany and boasts a satin finish, diamond volute, square tapered headstock with the antique Martin pressure stamp on the back and gold Schaller™ mini tuners with ebony buttons. Both the HD-40TP and HD12-40TP Tom Petty Signature Editions are equipped with factory installed Fishman Gold Plus Natural II electronics to enable their owners to play both unplugged and amplified.

Tom Petty’s passion for rock and roll was kindled young when he met the King, Elvis Presley, during a film shoot in Petty’s native Florida in 1961. He played in a band that evolved through several names and members to become Mudcrutch, which eventually settled in Los Angeles. After one single and brief critical acclaim, the band folded, but Petty enlisted former members Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell, plus Florida musicians Ron Blair and Stan Lynch into a new band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, to fulfill Mudcrutch’s record contract.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers‘ self-titled debut album, released in 1976, sold slowly until a concert tour of the United Kingdom kicked record sales into high gear on both sides of the Atlantic. The single “Breakdown” became a top 40. The group’s second album, “You’re Gonna Get It!” produced hit singles “Listen to Her Heart” and “I Need to Know,” and its third, “Damn the Torpedoes,” went triple-platinum. Nine more albums with the Heartbreakers, two solo albums, two albums as a member of the Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne, one Grammy Award and a clutch of hit singles - “Refugee,” Don’t Do Me Like That,” “The Waiting,” “I Won’t Back Down,” “Free Falling” and “Jammin’ Me,” to name a few – have cemented Petty’s place as one of rock and roll’s best and most durable performers. His career has not been without its rough spots, yet Tom Petty has thrived, and his recent work – the 2002 album “The Last DJ,” the 2003 summer tour with the Heartbreakers and the 2003 “Concert for George” DVD and album (where he, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton and others – mostly playing Martins on the acoustic numbers - honored friend and bandmate George Harrison) – shows him in top form: creative, passionate and relevant. Delivered in a vintage Geib™ style hardshell case with tweed exterior, each HD-40 and HD12-40 Tom Petty Signature Edition guitar bears an interior label personally signed by Tom Petty and Martin Chairman C.F. Martin IV, and is numbered in sequence with the total number of instruments in that model’s edition. C. F. Martin dealers will take orders for the HD-40TP and HD12-40TP Tom Petty Signature Editions for a limited time; at the end of the order period, the number of guitars in each edition and the names of participating dealers will be posted on the C.F. Martin web site.

martin also made a limited edition of 50 D-100 Deluxe guitars with a list price of $109,999!!!!!!!!! BTW, that TP 6 string lists for $3100 on the martin site IF you can still find one. the 12 string (unlisted) might have gone for $7500 like the mcguinn 12 string model. they also made a mcguinn 7 string with 2 G strings and octive apart. here's an idea for some of you. do it yourself projects, martin sells kits to build your own martin guitar starting a $360.

Edited by nurktwin

yes relic. The fingerboard inlays follow the phases of the moon: new moon at the 1st fret, quarter moon with small star at the 3rd fret, half moon with small star at the 5th fret, three-quarter moon with small star at the 7th fret, full moon with small star at the 9th fret, three stars at the 12th fret and single stars at the 15th and 17th frets. Tom Petty’s signature is inlaid in pale gold agoya pearl between the 19th and 20th frets.

Yeah, these have been out for awhile. When they came out you could get them for about $3000 and $3400 respectively, but that was back in about 2004. The asking price of the eBay auction is ridiculous. They're not worth that much. If any of TP's sig guitars will gain that type of notoriety it will be his sig version of the Rick 660-12. But they are really nice guitars. I have played both, but I couldn't see dropping the cash since it is basically an HD-28 with appointments.

^ i agree. when i considered buying the mcguinn 12 string, i went to my local dealer and he said it listed for $7500, and was still available from martin if i wanted one. he checked and his price was $4500 and could get a new one from the factory in less than a week and sell it to me for $4700. i passed at the time and told him i'd be back after my tom petty tour....lol. by the time i went all over the country and got home i already bought 2 fender tele's, a ric 650 dakota, epi J-160 lennon autograph, a mandolin and a bunch of other stuff for under $4700. so by the time i got home, i really wasn't looking for anything at that time. but, i always keep my eyes open for guitars. BTW, i've already been offered anywhere from $5K to $6K for my 660/12 petty signature RIC. guess where it's at? upstairs with about 30 other guitars! i don't have any intention of selling them, but what bothers the shit out of me, is what happens to them when i die???? WD will have a garage sale and let them go for $1 each!!!!! lol, just kidding, they will go to people i know that have knowledge of guitars and what they are worth.

I pre-ordered this guitar in the six string version way back when and still have it. I bought it not only because I'm a big fan of Tom's but also as sort of a half-assed investment. So far it is doing better than my 401k but they are almost even again at this point. I gave a little over $3000 for it thru Sweetwater. Right off the bat they appeared on ebay and stayed there for a little over a year at a few hundy less than what I paid for mine. I figured these were the ones ordered by music stores without an immediate buyer. You cannot buy a Martin directly from the factory...you have to go thru a retailer. I guess my guitar would be worth a few hundy more than I paid for it at this point. I don't have a target price at which I would sell it because I don't really ever plan on selling it. At the time I bought it I had newcaritis and I think we all know what a lousy investment a new car can be. So I hovered over Martin's cash register and shook the leg of the jeans with the pocket with a hole in it until enough cash dropped out for this guitar.

I think the guy/girl trying to sell this guitar is just fishing for someone with more dollars than sense. I've seen them go across ebay for 1 1/2 times more with no sale. It would make me feel good to see it go for this but at this point I don't think it's worth that price.

If I ever sell mine IT will be for the same reason that Tom Petty sells OUT!...because I need to feed my family. I'm guessing that will probably happen to me before it happens to Tom but you never know...I seem to remember that at one point Tom stopped being a famous rock star and had to go into politics as the mayor of Bridgetown. I never heard about what happened to him after that but I'm pretty sure he made a comeback. I would also let my fellow Pettyheads know about a sale in advance. My guitar is kept in dead mint condition. I don't play it. It stays in it's case and the case stays in the cardboard box that it was shipped to me in.

My TP Martin comes out of the box and out of the case about 4 times a year and there is a sacred ritual before it does. First I get in the shower and thoroughly clense my skin including an exfoliation process done with one of those scrunchy thingies popular with the ladies. I then dry off with lint free, 100% cotton cheese cloth. Then, while still naked, I light a candle with a Bic lighter. I used to use the more natural match but a bit of hot sulfer tip flew off while striking once and got me in the, well, lets just say it got me. I then take it out out of it's case, check on the humidity level and make sure it's still in tune. I then strum it for a minute or two, wipe it down with a genuine Martin polishing cloth and return it to it's case and put it away. I usually get dressed afterwards but not always!

Nurk, I see you are quite active on this thread. It's been a couple of years sinse I've talked to you. I hope you are doing well. Keep on rockin'.

Jackaroo

The guitars sound nice - as expected, but they're playing Free Fallin' wrong. :D  They want $8,000 for the 6 string, and $5,300 for the 12.  For well under those prices, you can get a vintage Martin D-28 with brazilian rosewood.  Even Tom Petty would pick one of those over these guitars.  For sure.