Sign in to follow this  
SingsInFrench

"The Live Anthology"

...Wish someone had told him to rotate that graphic a few degrees, though....

I like the slightly off kilter angle now that you point it out (didn't really notice it before - it was so subtle).

I think it adds to the sense of immediacy and 'liveness' I get from the image. Almost like it was slightly off level due to a raucous audience bumping the 'photographer' when the "image" was captured. That just clicked for me when I read your observation :)

That drawing is amazing. Just wow.

Edited by Relic

What I see as an artist, is the point of the arrow/headstock on the guitar logo stabbing him in the knee. Otherwise I love the whole layout, and I generally appreciate Shepard's work.

It's a technical thing, like a musician wincing at a sour note, or in photography, a poorly cropped photo with a distracting element left in, or a poor composition with a tree 'growing' out of someone's head - a pro should catch stuff like that.

If the designer had just rotated Tom a few degrees CW (or any number of truly minor adjustments would have done the trick), the composition would have been better (imo, of course). 99.9% of you could care less, but it bugs me, sorry.

Ironically, in these days when things are so easily done on computers, as opposed to when I was learning graphic arts and everything was literally pen and ink & cut and paste, this could have been easily done in any stage before it got finalized.

On a related note, Nurk is appalled that the vinyl is being sourced from digitized masters. Same deal. Most of us couldn't tell the difference, but it matters to him.

Wasn't Tom having trouble with his knee? Maybe we discovered the cause of the problem! All this time it was that darn guitar poking him in the drawing! :)

Seriously though, I understand why you would feel the way you do, and don't mean to argue with you, just wanted to offer my own impression of the drawing.

Like the Mudcrutch album I think its an instant classic, reminiscent of an earlier time.

If the designer had just rotated Tom a few degrees CW (or any number of truly minor adjustments would have done the trick), the composition would have been better (imo, of course). 99.9% of you could care less, but it bugs me, sorry.

Ironically, in these days when things are so easily done on computers, as opposed to when I was learning graphic arts and everything was literally pen and ink & cut and paste, this could have been easily done in any stage before it got finalized.

I don't think Shepard uses computers for his design. At least all the stuff I have seen on him he hasn't.

It could have been redone by hand as well, just not as easily. Once again, 99.9% of people don't care about such an insignificant detail, and it is a great design overall.

I can't imagine any designer not using a computer at all, not in this day and age.

I love Tom and all, but I have to agree with the majority here. The cover should definitely be the whole band. Also, apart from that, have you ever noticed (I don't know how anyone cannot), this cover and the BULK of pictures of Tom used for promotional stuff (t shirts, etc) are of him from 25 years ago? LOL! I mean, I like how I looked 25 years ago versus now, but it's just hysterical to me. :icon_laugh:

Patty, I couldn't agree more. To me this live album is about all of them. A culmination of years of them performing as a band, TOGETHER! I would love to see a beautiful album cover with all of their faces on it. I just don't get that.

And yes, we need some updated Tom, LOL!

Well, it's too early to tell just by the cover. One bonus of getting the vinyl (sorry if it pains you Nurk), is everything should be LP sized (12"), instead of CD sized (5"). My favorite boxed CD set was the original Biograph set, because it was transitional, so the box and all the goodies inside were still formatted for 12". I don't like the downsizing that came with CDs. Nope. Not at all.

One thing I like about the Cranberry shirt, besides the design, is it is more like Tom now. Wearing pictures of a 25 yr od Tom makes me feel old! TP&TH merch is still tons better than Bob's though.

I love Tom and all, but I have to agree with the majority here. The cover should definitely be the whole band. Also, apart from that, have you ever noticed (I don't know how anyone cannot), this cover and the BULK of pictures of Tom used for promotional stuff (t shirts, etc) are of him from 25 years ago? LOL! I mean, I like how I looked 25 years ago versus now, but it's just hysterical to me. :icon_laugh:

It's what I have been saying for a very long time. This music is not just about Tom, but the Heartbreakers as a whole.

I agree to some extent about the cover being the band instead of just Tom - but which lineup of the band would they use in this case? I'm a believer that Tom wouldn't be nearly as successful without the great band around him; Mike especially. I often wonder how much of the musical production actually belongs to Mike and how many ideas are his? Hopefully there will be lots of exposure for the band in all the extra material that comes with the deluxe set. I'm sure with 4 CD's there will be lots of liner notes and pics too. Plus the website at least has some more modern pictures of TP - and we finally got rid of the Superbowl webpage!!!!

It's what I have been saying for a very long time. This music is not just about Tom, but the Heartbreakers as a whole.

Agreed completely. Hence why when someone says I love that Tom Petty song Here Comes My Girl or the radio says that it's a Tom Petty song, it irks me that they can't say the Heartbreakers as well. They do exist and make the music what it is for god's sake so at least give them credit when it's rightfully due

OK so the solution is fairly simple, Just get Shepard to do similar drawings of each of the band members. One for each LP! A set like the Fillmore posters.

Thats a lot of drawings though. Poor Shepard!

Edited by Relic

Nurk doesn't like the idea of vinyl in this case, because they are digitized:

http://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176266&postcount=46

I have to wonder if even vinyl records are pressed from a digital source these days.

According to this blog, the problem isn't in the initial recording processes, but later on just before the recordings are put on CD.

http://www.cinchreview.com/bob-dylan-audio-scandal/570

Interesting stuff. Now I want to compare my LP with with the included CD of TTL. I have a copy of the commercial Mudcrutch CD, and the 'audiophile' CD that came with the LP - awhile ago, I opened them in Audacity out of curiosity, and the waveforms are identical.

I am leaning toward vinyl, but I want to do more homework on what "uncompressed 24-bit 96K" means, exactly. It doesn't sound like the DVDs are included, which would suck. (Dylan's TellTale Signs did a similar thing: They omitted the 3rd CD's material from the deluxe edition on the album.) They also don't mention whether the CDs are also included like they did with the Mudcrutch LP.

i'm not saying i don't like the idea of having vinyl in this set, i just wouldn't have done it with digitized files or tracks. i would have taken the original analog tapes and remastered them at 1/2 speed. the original tapes should be at 15 ips on 2 inch wide tapes, slowing them down to 7 1/2 ips would spread it open more and therefore have more room to remaster with greater sound, not to mention keeping the original warm sound of the analog tapes found on LP's of yesteryear.

on another note, i think the dvd in this set has NO video, just audio that can be played on blu-ray stereo and also 5.1 stereo. so it basically has the same thing 2 times for whichever way you want to play and listen to it. i'll have to go back and read that part again to be sure, but that's the way i take it from reading it the 1st time.

Gosh, they are making this so exciting!

I dunno. I agree with Nurk. If you are doing a vinyl, you typically do it for the enhanced sound. To do a record from Mp3's seems absurd, I mean really. But, I love the size and the feel. This is gonna be so good!

This is awesome news......and can't wait to really buy it!!

Tom is a graeat artist... a legend...and an Icon,but Mike is the Heart of the Heartbreakers.....no TPAH RECORDIING would ever been the same without that legendary masterfull Guitar work of Mike Campbell......I would say that's the king of Guitarists!!

But....can't wait for this release of this package!!

Have a Great Labor Day farmers!!

WM, uncompressed in this instance means the files cover the whole range available for sound. it's part of the mastering process, a song can be mastered without doing this last part. kind of hard to explain, but let me try. just say you bring up a graph that shows the audio and that graph starts at zero and goes to 100, you can see the volume levels from zero to 100. now compress that til everything is from zero to 10, you now have a compressed file of the recording. but the important thing is that now you can move that compressed file anywhere in that zero to 100 range. the fcc has a limit on the high end or the range (100). now you move that 0-10 compressed file to 90-100 and it's blasted out LOUD, like most groups do today. a better idea of this is on TV, even though you have the tv volume where you want it, the commercials come out way louder than you want, because they are compressed and moved to the top limit the FCC allows. hope that explains what compressed in this sense means.

compression in a guitar pedal means a whole other thing, that's for sustain to let the guitar ring out for a longer period of time, like roger mcguinn uses and tpath too for that jingle jangle RIC sound.

i'm not saying i don't like the idea of having vinyl in this set, i just wouldn't have done it with digitized files or tracks. i would have taken the original analog tapes and remastered them at 1/2 speed. the original tapes should be at 15 ips on 2 inch wide tapes, slowing them down to 7 1/2 ips would spread it open more and therefore have more room to remaster with greater sound, not to mention keeping the original warm sound of the analog tapes found on LP's of yesteryear.

on another note, i think the dvd in this set has NO video, just audio that can be played on blu-ray stereo and also 5.1 stereo. so it basically has the same thing 2 times for whichever way you want to play and listen to it. i'll have to go back and read that part again to be sure, but that's the way i take it from reading it the 1st time.

WM, uncompressed in this instance means the files cover the whole range available for sound. it's part of the mastering process, a song can be mastered without doing this last part. kind of hard to explain, but let me try. just say you bring up a graph that shows the audio and that graph starts at zero and goes to 100, you can see the volume levels from zero to 100. now compress that til everything is from zero to 10, you now have a compressed file of the recording. but the important thing is that now you can move that compressed file anywhere in that zero to 100 range. the fcc has a limit on the high end or the range (100). now you move that 0-10 compressed file to 90-100 and it's blasted out LOUD, like most groups do today. a better idea of this is on TV, even though you have the tv volume where you want it, the commercials come out way louder than you want, because they are compressed and moved to the top limit the FCC allows. hope that explains what compressed in this sense means.

compression in a guitar pedal means a whole other thing, that's for sustain to let the guitar ring out for a longer period of time, like roger mcguinn uses and tpath too for that jingle jangle RIC sound.

Thank you for the in depth explanation. I understand what you mean now, and I just saw some mention on other sites about 1/2 speed remastering.

My thought is that, since our choice may be vinyl from a 24-bit digital file, or 16-bit compressed CDs, vinyl wins. If the DVD and blu-ray are also audio, not video, then the options get even murkier.

Ok, what I read from the text about the Live Anthology is, that they are going to tour before it will come out because on the fourth disc will be material from an upcoming tour. Is that right or is there something I don´t get??? :confused:

"...Tickets for the entire 8 week SuperHighway Tour will go onsale soon and the the Tour will start with a FREE PREVIEW including a FREE DOWNLOAD from The Live Anthology..."

Edited by MJ§LastDance