Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

The Dirty Knobs Live at Joe's Joint - 08/21/09

WONDERFUL PICTURES!! Those last couple close-ups of Mike and Jason are stunning! Thanks Relic and Pawie and Marcia! The next best thing to being there is seeing all your great pictures!! What a fun night that must have been for those of you lucky enough to be there:003:

I dont know if anyone mentioned the Rick guitar Andrew had. I noticed it looked a little different - i.e. had three pickups - but there was some kind of glitch and he didn't end up playing it so I never got to hear the sound.

Did anyone get a photo of that guitar?

It looked like a Rick on steroids.

thanks relic. it looks like an old late 50's RIC 325 like lennon's original, but they didn't come with the bigsby B5 tailpiece. (2 pickups would make it at model 320 and they didn't make a 320 back then). but at that time they had the 'toaster' pick ups like in this pix. the pickguard seems like the original single layer which at that time would be gold in color, not white. it also has 1 toggle switch and 4 knobs like the originals. today you get 5 knobs and a toggle switch. if this guitar is the small 3/4 size it's a modified RIC 325. if it's a full size guitar, it's a model 350. lennon's original was blond in color with an 'accent' tailpiece, which he had removed and replaced with the bigsby B5 vibrato tailpiece at a local shop in liverpool after he bought the guitar in germany, he also had it painted black. i have 2 of these ric's in 3/4 size, my original 60's 325 in fire-glo (red sunburst) with the original 'accent tailpiece' and a black 1980 model 320 (2 pickups) without a vibrato tailpiece. all in all, this looks like an original RIC that had the bigsby added. i'd like to know if it's full size or a 3/4 size. i'd also love to see a close up of the headstock, because where "made in america" is located gives you a clue as to when this guitar was made. i'd also like to know if the ric logo on the headstock is just plain white or gold and carved out or if the whole thing is covered in a clear smooth finish. btw, if you have 1 of these guitars and want to add a bigsby, get the B5, not the B500. the B5 is about $200 and made in the USA. the B500 is about $100 and made somewhere in china or somewhere in the east. thanks for the pix, keep them coming. oh, i forgot to mention, if you have a model 320 and are thinking of adding the bigsby, DON'T. ric doesn't make a 320 anymore and the price on these guitars is going up pretty fast, so don't do anything to it yet, you could be destroying a classic that could be worth some money some day. who knows, maybe Mike is looking for one....lol.

Edited by nurktwin

i forgot to mention another thing, these guitars came with or without an "F" hole and you can also tell their age by that position!. here's a clue, if you hold the guitar upright with the neck straight up, what position is the "F" hole pointing to? any idea's before i post the answer? the cutaways on this guitar are definitely from a 325, 320 or 350. the only other model that comes close is a 330. AND the 4 knobs on this guitar are NOT the original brown and gold knobs on the original RICS!!!!

Edited by nurktwin

I have no idea Nurk! I'm already swimming in the info you posted, but all this talk of f-holes is getting me hot. (What are you wearing?) ;)

As for the size of the guitar, if it was 3/4 then the full size must be giant because it seemed like an enormous guitar to me and that is what first caught my eye. I knew it was a RIC right when I saw it, and the three toaster pickups all in a row caught my attention.

I suspected it had to be something pretty special. Maybe we will get to actually hear it some day LOL! It was like a jet fighter on static display at an airshow - you really want to see them fly!

Edited by Relic

well steve, if it's full size, it's a 350 and then andrew made changes to it. i'd still like to see the headstock and where "made in america" is located. i'd like to mention more about "F holes", but then none of us would get anything done!! run Athena run, don't look back!!! have a great day everyone, be back after a fried chicken dinner!

i messed up on the 320, it does have 3 pickups. it doesn't have the tremolo arm like the 325., therefore 2 different model numbers. now back to the "F holes", holding the guitar straight up, if the f hole is in the 1 o'clock position, it's an older ric. if it's in the 2 o'clock position, it's a newer ric. as far as the nameplate on the headstock, if 'made in the usa' is placed at the bottom along the nut, it's an older ric. if 'made in the usa' is directly under 'rickenbacker' it's a newer model. the older ric's also have the nameplate covered in clear plastic for a smooth finish, the newer ones don't and you can actually feel the name rickenbacker.