Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Rock & Roll facts

i thought it would be interesting to start a thread for us to post facts about r & r artists that we all know and love. so here is the 1st fact:

george harrison's song titled "cheer down" was written by george and tom petty! the title came from olivia harrison, who always told george to cheer down when he got excited over new projects and wouldn't shut up and get off his high.....lol.

When Rick James fled the Naval Reserve he landed in Toronto, Canada. There he formed a band with former Buffalo Springfield members, Neil Young and Bruce Palmer. The band was called 'The Mynah Birds' and they were briefly signed to Motown records.

Carl Wislon of the Beach Boys first wife was the sister to Billy Hinche, who once was in Dino,Desi & Billy. Carl had two boys with her. He then divorced her ( although Billy continued to play in the Beach Boys Toruing band ). And a few years later married Gina Martin ( who was Dino's Sister, and daughter of the Great Dean Martin ). Carl was married to her at the time of his death in 1998. I always found that to be interesting footnote to the Beach Boys history.

this week in 1970 "cinnamon girl" by neil young goes gold. in january of 2008 the opening act for the dirty knobs was brian ray who also plays guitar and bass in paul mccartney's touring band. after a few songs, he told a story about a song called cinnamon girl by neil before he played it. i think brian said he was sitting on his porch and a car pulled up and out came a man with a hat and walked up to the house. it was neil coming to pick up brians sister jean for a date. anyway, neil wrote a song for jean called "cinnamon girl". sadly, jean passed away in july 2007 (i think), but brian told the story and then played the song for his sister and we all loved it. 30 years and 2 days after cinnamon girl went gold, neil got a star on the toronto walk of fame.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526000,00.html

The Beatles hit "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," commonly known to be a reference to LSD, actually has a completely different story.

Julian Lennon, the son of John Lennon, came home one day with a picture of Lucy, his classmate, her eyes diamonds. "It's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, dad,"

Just a normal, silly little phrase coming straight from the mind of a three or four year old. But it's much different when your father's John Lennon. It's history from them.

But Lucy Vodden, the inspiration for the Beatles' huge hit, is currently very ill with Lupus. Perhaps the song will provide some encouragement to the woman.

praying for lucy... the girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

According to tonight's Greg Kihn show, Led Zeppelin once performed in Germany not as Led Zeppelin. Apparently, the widow, Baroness Von Zeppelin, was appalled that the Zeppelin name was used for a rock-n-roll band and raised a stink about it, so the band played, but as another name, which was not mentioned.

According to tonight's Greg Kihn show, Led Zeppelin once performed in Germany not as Led Zeppelin. Apparently, the widow, Baroness Von Zeppelin, was appalled that the Zeppelin name was used for a rock-n-roll band and raised a stink about it, so the band played, but as another name, which was not mentioned.

They were billed as "The Knobs". Imagine that.

i also read somewhere that led zep got their name from an old english saying that when someone was sure to fail, people would say "you're going to go down like a lead (led) zeppelin". they were told that when they started and played pubs.

^When and how? I would love to know the story.

There are so many variations to the story, but all agree, Keith Moon gave them the idea.

I also think it's mentioned in the liner notes of one of the box sets Led Zep has.

Talking about Keith Moon and Led Zeppelin, check this old 8mm clip of a Led Zep concert in 1977. Just keep watching it, you will see what I mean, lol.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/video/l-6-23-77-w-keith-moon

here's an interesting fact. you probably know the first 2 parts of this, but not the 3rd.

1. in 1963 rickenbacker developed the 1st electric 12 string guitars. only 3 were to be made as "show and tell" items. prototype #1 was eventually sold to suzi arden, a las vegas country and western performer.

2. in february, 1964 the 2nd prototype was given to george harrison.

3. the 3rd and final prototype ever made has a different body style and was called a model 625/12, now known as the 620/12. this 3rd 12 string electric guitar ever made is owned by mike campbell!!!

That's interesting nurk!

I found this nugget to add:

"The guitar photographed with Tom Petty on the cover of "Damn The Torpedoes," a 1963 625/12, is a used Rickenbacker 12-string purchased by Mike Campbell for $120."

Heh. Just a 'used Rickenbacker'...

Wait. What? $120? :eek:

Edited by weird monkey