Sign in to follow this  
JohnsonBibbyWag

Lynch or Ferrone?

I love them both. This is a hard question because I really feel that they were the perfect fit for the time periods they were in the band. As far as Stan, you can look at the live performances near the end of his time with the Heartbreakers and if you compare it with the earlier days the joy in his face was missing. I noticed it the last time I saw Stan live with the band.

So I prefer them both in the time that they are with the band.

I love them both. This is a hard question because I really feel that they were the perfect fit for the time periods they were in the band. As far as Stan, you can look at the live performances near the end of his time with the Heartbreakers and if you compare it with the earlier days the joy in his face was missing. I noticed it the last time I saw Stan live with the band.

So I prefer them both in the time that they are with the band.

:023: That´s what I think as well.

Apart from that, I really liked Stan. He seemed to be so funny and bright and so full of energy. I like people who are like that.

Edited by MJ§LastDance

Much as I love Steve, Stan's the Man.

That about sums it up for me too.

Stan brought a heck of a lot of energy to the band and it showed up in their live performances. He also had the coolest fills, particularly around the time of Damn the Torpedoes.

That's really tricky. As a listener, I can't make a decision, because either one is linked to specific songs I love. And both played wonderful stuff.

For me as a drummer, both of them were huge influences. I even copied some of Stan's fills from Don't Do Me Like That back when I played with my first band in 1995. His energy was amazing. That's another thing I tried to incorporate into my own style, that kind of energy. And I'm always trying to play as steady and laid-back as Ferrone does. Sounds paradox, but isn't. And those are the two essential sides of Lynch and Ferrone: Energy and laid-back steadiness repectively.

So I can't make a decision as a drummer either. :003:

The biggest difference though may be that Steve is more of a drummer per se while Stan is a more of a musician. He plays various instruments and sings and nowadays he's mostly a producer and songwriter as far as I know. And I think you hear a bit of that difference in the Heartbreakers' music. Steve is the "professional", technical one, Stan is the "intuitive" one. The songs with Lynch on drums have a looser feel, the Ferrone-songs tend to be a little bit tighter, more structured. I love both of the two, because they fit pretty well in the period they play(ed) with the band (as was elswhere stated here).

i agree with two gun slingers, being a drummer it's hard to figure out a fav or who is best. but i did years ago! i like stans playing and flair for the rock star image, but lets face it, he was behind tom petty and didn't get noticed that much!! as a drummer, i will choose steve, he's just great and can play any style. sure, steve plays behind tom just like stan, but lets get down to what real drummers do!

I think if you were playing with them, it would be the guy you got along with best.

I've played with some really good players but they were a**holes, and I've worked with some not good players, but they were nice, so it was easier to play with them.

The perfect combo is when they are nice and are also great players. Sort of like the guys that I'm working with now.

I think Steve would be easier to get along with, from what the guys have said,

But as far as drumming goes, it sounds like they each play what the song calls for.