Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

March '09 Shows

My Mavericks in Santa Ynez? It's a tame place :) (but you can have a lot of fun there) :P
Yes, your Mavericks in Santa Ynez. Were you there for the Warren Zevon Cancer benefit the Knobs helped with a couple years ago? Beautiful venue. Noticed that the photos of the Mill Creek Cattle Company in Mentone where the band will be playing this Friday night bears a striking resemblance to Mavericks.

Hoping all the Farmers and local friends (because I have personally told as many TPATH fans as I know of here in the area) will be there for both shows Friday and Saturday night. Put my heart into spreading the word...

My new quote for this round of lifetime:

"Accentuate the Postitive,

Eliminate the Negative,

And stay away from Mr. Inbetween."

~ Dr. John ~

Edited by worldview
mixed up nights/venues

Yes, your Mavericks in Santa Ynez. Were you there for the Warren Zevon Cancer benefit the Knobs helped with a couple years ago? Beautiful venue. Noticed that the photos of the Mill Creek Cattle Company in Mentone where the band will be playing this Friday night bears a striking resemblance to Mavericks.

~ Dr. John ~

I was at the Warren Zevon show. It was a great night. Hopefully they will play there again (since I live around the corner). :)

I guess I'll be the first to post and say the show last night at Mill Creek was outstanding! I think anyone who can make the drive tonight should, but a fair warning that the Knobs didn't go on until about 11:30pm because of all the bands beforehand. I got home around 3am. It was a really fun evening and so great to see Weird Monkey and her husband and Brandonwood (and Pettyphile?) Relic, etc. Everybody was so nice and I had such a great time. I hope someone got the set list - the guys were soooo on fire...... their energy while they play astounds me sometimes :)

Best Show Evar! It was really great and I too wish we had a setlist - I would say about half were Beatles' tunes, or close to it. I knew them all, but the only one I really remember that I hadn't that heard the band play before was She Said She Said, because also Tom spun it on Buried Treasure this week. Then there was Working Class Hero, and the birthday boy, Swampfox, sang Hey Bulldog.

It was great to meet some new folks and see some I'd met before. It's too bad more people couldn't make it, the guys really played their hearts out as always, but the crowd had thinned out, probably because it got so late. Not that I'm complaining, because I hate crowds my self.

Brandon and I got to meet Mike and Jason for the first time (thanks to SquareOne and Pettyphile), who were both very gracious, and the last thing the Apeman said as he left was something to the effect of, "I'm just a monkey, that's all I am", which I naturally found humorous. :)

My satellite connection is lagging worse than usual, but I managed to upload a few pictures:

Happy birthday, Matt! (sorry the picture's not so good - my flash didn't quite reach that far)(yes, I succumbed to using my flash)

Matt_mentone_09.jpg

Jason_mentone_09.jpg

MIke_mentone_09.jpg

Not my best group shot, but was a bunch of characters! I love how the guy on the far right was just lovin' it all so much from beginning to end!

dks_mentone_09.jpg

^ yes, the guy who kept sticking his pinkie up in the air during Humdinger right in front of Jason's face! lol - bunch of characters is right WM! He was having a good time :)

So fun - and I meant to say it was great to meet Athena too - all the farmers - really nice people! I took about 300,000 pictures but don't think they'll do justice to what Relic and WM took - but I'll post some if I can. They really did play their hearts out, it's the best way to put it. It was so great to watch. I asked the woman standing next to me if I was in her way and she said "nope, all I want to see is hands on guitars" and man....when it was over I turned to her and just said "that was some amazing hands on guitars!". sigh... I think I've turned into a DK junkie. I have to go through withdrawals now. Hope everyone has a great time tonight!

thank you for the pictures. i found 1 or 2 really interesting. the ric that mike is playing has to be a homemade job, cuz i've NEVER seen a ric like that, let alone be released to the public. i'll post the pix below after i say what i think and you can look at the pix in 1 post. at 1st glance, i thought it was a harrison 360/12, but that quickly faded away, because the guitar and neck have no white binding. so it must be a ric 330 6 string, cuz i don't see anything on the headstock that even comes close to being a 12 string. this guitar has a 'cats eye' soundhole and can't be confused with the model 1996 and 1997 that were exported to england in the 60's and also called the "rose morris" models, because they had "F" holes and not cats eyes. this model also has the original toaster pickups and the original setup for 4 knobs and 1 toggle switch, not the current 5 knobs and 1 toggle switch. and most amazing of all, is that this guitar has the trapese tail piece with a bigsby tailpiece!!!!!!!!! that's amazing in itself.

MIke_mentone_09.jpg

So happy everyone had such a great time! Looks like the band is on fire! I wish I could have gone, damn work, lol. Next time...cough....cough, hahaha.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!! :heart:

so it must be a ric 330 6 string

Correct! 1960 Fireglo 330... Definitely 6 strings. He used this guitar on a few songs on the Soundstage DVD. It would have been really cool to see that guitar live last night. doh!

Very nice reviews and pictures! Wow, 11:30, that's late. Sounds like a really great show. I hope someone can remember more of what they played. Glad you guys got to meet Mike and Ape. That is so exciting! I know Brandon must be on cloud nine for his first Knobbin! Can't wait to hear his story. Looking forward to more pictures too.

Have fun tonight for those who can make it back. You all are gonna be high for a couple of weeks!

thank you for the pictures. i found 1 or 2 really interesting. the ric that mike is playing has to be a homemade job, cuz i've NEVER seen a ric like that, let alone be released to the public. i'll post the pix below after i say what i think and you can look at the pix in 1 post. at 1st glance, i thought it was a harrison 360/12, but that quickly faded away, because the guitar and neck have no white binding. so it must be a ric 330 6 string, cuz i don't see anything on the headstock that even comes close to being a 12 string. this guitar has a 'cats eye' soundhole and can't be confused with the model 1996 and 1997 that were exported to england in the 60's and also called the "rose morris" models, because they had "F" holes and not cats eyes. this model also has the original toaster pickups and the original setup for 4 knobs and 1 toggle switch, not the current 5 knobs and 1 toggle switch. and most amazing of all, is that this guitar has the trapese tail piece with a bigsby tailpiece!!!!!!!!! that's amazing in itself.

Show-off! :P I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds good LOL! The only instrument I know anything about is a piano.

This one's for you nurk! And it sounds like seltaeb is a guitar fan too.

Close-lge.jpg

Good thing Mike had his nails done before the show. :P

Whatever it's heritage, that guitar's been around. It wasn't quite as beat up as the famous telecaster*, but it has some battle scars and a pretty grimy fretboard. Those white specks on the body aren't photo flaws or flash reflections - they are chips.

I can't wait to see other people's pictures. There were lots of shutterbugs up front. It's been awhile since I used the 'big camera', so it took awhile before I got the settings right. I expect we won't hear Brandon's story until he gets back to his computer in Montana - but he's getting another Knobbin' tonght!

Edit: I meant Broadcaster. D'oh!

Edited by weird monkey