Sign in to follow this  
weird monkey

Does God ever speak to you?

Ref, I have to agree with you. The things people do in the name of their God is horrible. Organized religion [i think] is dangerous. I believe in spirituality and don't need or want a church to tell me what to do or how to do it.

I'll ask a practical question. Will god pay your bills? lol Sometimes art won't, either. I'd try to manage the bookkeeping job while you're developing your art career. Good luck with your painting.

You're in good company, Weirdmonkey. There are a few of us here who are (or have been) painters. I took classes from a man who made a lot of money selling his paintings; he also taught to pay the bills.

Art is my religion. It speaks to me all the time. My personal view is that evolution is amazing; we're the only species that has religious beliefs.

:) No, no, God won't pay my bills, He's not a genie or a fairy godmother. I do believe he can guide me down the right (not righteous!) path.

However, the bookkeeping - as it is now, is very time consuming. I have tried to do it, and do the painting in my spare time, and it isn't working. I want to lose the clients that require a broadband connection (payroll and sales taxes), because that is why I have to rent an office - my satellite connection at home won't cut it in the modern world. I'll lose 2/3 of my income, but I'll also lose 98% of my business expenses. I'll keep the clients I can work with at home.

This is where I feel I need to have faith that things will work out (just maybe not as I planned exactly). Otherwise, if I cave into my fear, then I will stay right where I am, and it's making me extremely unhappy.

The question I hear besides the god question is how does one balance one's passion against the need to earn cash for bills. That is tougher when one's passion (art) is low to no wage earning and a skill set different from the wage earning skill set. As a former career counselor, this is often an issue.

I would suggest you think about ways to blend to two. For example, could you find a way to market your bookkeeping services to stuggling artists? This would put you in a community of like-minded people and motivate your artistic aspirations. That's only an example. It also sounds as if you are exploring options to cut back on expenses so you can devote more time to art. Can you find additional time to work on art...ie wake up at 4:00 am when your space is quiet. It's hard to find the "me" time.

When I have written here about "The Year of Kira" that began with my 48th birthday, it's because I came to the realization that if I want to follow my passion (a serious push at writing a novel) that I mean to claim the time I need. I also need to put the cash towards the goal. That may mean (in a house that has only a wood burning stove for heat) that central air and heat get put off.........as do the thousands (not to mention the do-it-yourself time) needed for other serious projects. Not meaning to turn this into about me, but passion and dreams require sacrifice and a hard look at priorities.

Sounds as if you looked at expenses.......sometimes time allocations need a serious overhaul too.

I'm reminded of the John Lennon lyric.....life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. It's your life, and in the end, are you going to be satisfied with your choices?

The other thought I had was maybe you were in the building to find the man there by accident who motivated you towards this conversation. That could be an example of devine intent. If so, lucky you!

I have been spoken to on more than one occasion, in various forms. I have no

idea who is doing the "speaking", it may be just my own common sense trying to

get through to me.

But Weird Monkey, I say go for your painting, but don't give up your day job until

you know you can make a living at it. Jobs are hard to come by these days!

I tend to think that's what intuition is - the little nudge in your soul that moves you in a particular direction - when coincidences become more than coincidence and random occurences take you down a new path. I also think if you start to pay enough attention to your gut reaction, you become more adept at knowing when something feels like the right thing to do or not. I hope you go for it Weird Monkey, at least in some way - take a small step to start with and see what happens.

I feel like I have been taking some small steps, and it is time to take some bigger ones. However, when self doubt comes creeping in, a 'little nudge' helps keep me focused on my goal.

I like what everyone's had to say about both their personal belief and my circumstances.

I'll just say that my faith has completely morphed from what it used to be, now that I've gained some maturity and perspective on everything that has happened in my life. We are all human and have breaking points.

I always have and always will believe in timing, coincidences (good and bad--but sometimes something good can come from the bad), luck-- whatever you want to call it.

With the economy the way it is now certainly has to weigh into your decision. It depends on how much of a risk you want to take, and how big of a risk it is at this point in your life, weird monkey. But if you keep getting that nudge...maybe it is time to take some bigger steps, like you said. :)

That's it! That's the very first way God tries to reach us - the evidence of His presence thru His handiwork. Think about it: He created this place and everything in it before He created us. Look at what you learn about God when you pay attention to and appreciate nature: God likes color, variety, texture, rhythm, sound and smell, harmony and joy. Think God doesn't have a sense of humor?? Consider the hippo and the duck-billed platypus, and heck what about flamingos and those skinny legs... God has a rich sense of humor.

I am an artist and if you look at my drawings you get insight into my heart. Same thing with nature: it lets you see what God's heart is like. :045:

Now to answer the question, yes God speaks to me. Let me share something very personal: the memory of my first interaction with God. This will show you how direct God is, how present He is, and His interest in each of us.. 8-year-old living in a new town, fresh from moving from Birmingham to Montgomery and not a church-going family again. Yet. Early Sunday morning, I go outside and sit on the trunk of our green 56 Chevy ("dubbed the Green Hornet", if you're old enough you know why!) Dew sits on the grassy lawns of our neighborhood and as the sun rises the dew sparkles like gemstones. My childish heart admires the quiet beauty, and I'm instantly aware of a presence that actually says 'Thank you, I'm glad you like it.' That kind of presence is something you never forget: unsolicited, pure, clear and astonishingly strong. I heard the very same thing on a visit to Ireland in 1998 as I stood on a hillside admiring Ballinskelligs Bay in the south. God was pleased that I appreciated what He created there. He appreciates your enjoyment of nature too.

THAT is the divine being beyond all the rituals, the one that is right here right now, ready to interact with each of us.

I don't know that it is 'God' but there is something divine that 'speaks to me' when I am in the wilderness....there are specific wilderness sites in which I 'hear' and 'see' the hand of the creator. The Eastern Sierra is one such site. It might be that getting away from the distractions of daily life helps me to 'see' that which is in front of my face every day - but when I hear the sound of the wind whispering in the sugar pines of Tuolumne, hear the Stellar Jay's persistent call or the chirp of the Chipmunk, or the laughing sounds of water as it tumbles o'er granite boulders on its way to destinations unknown, I hear the voice of something so amazing, it may as well be God. Looking up to the spires of the Cathedral Range, or watching Alpine Glow on Mt. Gibbs as the sun dips below the backbone of California, and looking up into darkened skies and seeing infinite worlds and our own Milky Way, I sense the hand of the divine.

I'm really not a religious person. That's the funny part. I am very analytical, yet there is something powerful that calls out from these holy places.

I despise the corruption of organized religion, but I see and hear the Word of God in nature.

Re: The original reason for this thread.

So. Is this going to be a regular thing, these reminders in human form? Today it was a schizophrenic who walked in to admire my work, and chat about art. She knew a lot about Andy Warhol. As much as I sympathize with her condition, getting rid of her was a delicate task.

:) Glad the topic is still alive... I feared my rambling post had ended the conversation!

Positive reactions to your artwork is definitely an indication that you are on the right road - you are meant to paint. Just as I am meant to draw. As a creative individual who expresses it through a visual means, we work and put our hearts into a painting and set it out there for everyone to see... their reactions can be an encouragement. It's the most rewarding thing to have your artwork really connect with someone; I think that's why God gives us the gift of creating visual art, to communicate with certain people who appreciate it.

But from practical experience, I'll repeat what a well-known illustrator once said to me: "If at all possible, don't try to make a living with art. You will have to compromise so much!" Meaning, the public likely will want you to paint what they want to have, not necessarily what you feel inspired to paint. In his case, he had gotten famous doing collage-style drawings of professional sports teams and individuals. But what he really loved drawing were portraits of Native Americans, and that got relegated to the back burner so to speak.

After becoming a professional artist after I graduated from college, I was successful enough in selling art for it to 'pay for itself' - I could buy more supplies, continue to enter festivals, and sometimes buy something nice for the family and the house. But I never could have lived off what I made unless I had totally devoted myself to anticipating what the public would like, which I watched two artist friends do... at the expense of their unique style and originality.

Just a little warning there, don't want to be downer but its the way the art world works these days.

The business of art is complicated, that's for sure. I've had work in galleries, done art shows/fairs, etc, and had good experiences, discouraging ones etc. So much of success in art is being in the right place at the right time, it's unpredictable, and if one chases trends, one is going to end up frustrated. One of the reasons I didn't pursue commercial art after college (young and stupid stupid stupid in retrospect), was the competitive backbiting, trying to read clients' minds, and spending 99% of one's time doing it to make a living instead of doing what you love and/or what inspires you.

The fortune in my fortune cookie Wednesday night said, "Hold on Tight to Your Dreams". I'm taking that as a message from God thankyouverymuch. :)

On March 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM, weird monkey said:

The fortune in my fortune cookie Wednesday night said, "Hold on Tight to Your Dreams". I'm taking that as a message from God thankyouverymuch. :)

I believe in God.

I think sometimes we get messages from God whether or not we understand them.

I hope things turned out good for weird monkey.

cheers