Sign in to follow this  
weird monkey

Does God ever speak to you?

Pretty loaded question, I know, but it's been on my mind all day:

The reason I'm asking, is because personally I think God speaks to me through encounters with other people - among other ways - but it's up to me whether I listen to the message. I didn't listen for a loooooong time, but I am now.

A very strange thing happened to me this morning. A gentleman opened the door to my office (where I do my bookkeeping, but I also have an easel set up for the rare times when I can do some painting), and asked if the building had a directory? There are only about 6 tenants, so not really, I said. He said he had just moved up here from LA to help his mother while she gets radiation treatments, and he was planning on continuing his profession up here long distance (an acting talent agency). He saw my paintings and asked if he could come in to take a look, and seemed to like them. We ended up chatting for about 20 minutes about my fledgling art career, him booking both some musical acts and acting groups up here, and exchanging business cards. I'll probably never see him again, lol.

I've been very stressed about the wisdom of giving up the bookkeeping (not hard, because I don't care for it), and giving my painting career another shot, especially since I don't exactly live in a hotbed of economic or cultural activity. The economy's not looking so good, most artists starve, why there's a hundred reasons why I shouldn't even be considering this.

I feel that my encounter today from a perfect stranger who paused because he liked my paintings, was a reassurance from God that I'm on the right track, and I just need to keep doing the next indicated thing, not worry so much whether it's the 'right' thing to be doing. If it feels right, it's right.

So am I nuts? Do you feel that there is a God out there taking care of business, who helps us if only we will let him (which in my case tends to be more like 'self-will run riot'), or do you feel that we're on our own?

Okay, I've reread this half a dozen times and I'm hitting the Submit button in 3 - 2 -

I have to admit. I don't believe in god. But I do believe in moments. Timing, good advice.

To me, your inner wishes came out so much clearer after talking to this stranger. It's like you yearn for end your bookkeeping and just enjoy your art.

We only live once. If you can - GO for it. It will make you happy and give your life the spark and ingition you seem to want.

All my own opinion, of course, but I wish someone would have stood me by in my youth when I had my brilliant ideas. They were all quite possible to achieve, but I had no backup and no support.

If it helps. You have my FULL emtional support and I wish you the best of luck.

Love

Lotta :045:

Thanks folks. My intention for this thread isn't to be some theological debate, because I respect people's beliefs, but I find most people believe in something, whether it's some version of God, themselves, or something more ethereal.

...but I wish someone would have stood me by in my youth when I had my brilliant ideas. They were all quite possible to achieve, but I had no backup and no support...

I'm right there with you, support makes a huge difference imo, but some people - like Tom P - just seem to have been able to achieve what they wanted to in life, even though they had to get over the same obstacles as the rest of us (and let's not forget the hits just keep comin' for everybody). Are they more driven, egotistical, lucky, stubborn, or what? Whatever it is, I 'd like to get me some.:)

And - Get better soon, Pawie.

Someone told me once that prayer is speaking to God and meditation is listening for the answer (in a nutshell). I'm no good at either, and rather dense at that, so sometimes God has to hit me with a sledgehammer before I get the message. Today was more of a fly swatter. So I guess our relationship is improving. :rolleyes:

This is a great question. Long story short, I used to believe in God, then I didn't believe at all, now I'm agnostic.

However, there is something I really do believe. I think having faith in something larger than yourself is very powerful. Whether that faith is warranted or not, I cannot say. But, I think if that faith helps you let go and take risks and look for answers besides what your mind can conjure up (whether those answers are divinely inspired or not), in the long run, your life will be better off. (That said, I've met some kooks in my life that can't seem to balance "faith" with reason, and they are not better off, lol.)

If God or your instinct or whatever is nudging you to take a risk, I say go for it. You are better off knowing the answer to this delimna, good or bad, than spending the rest of your life wondering "what if...". And chances are, you really are good enough to do this!

I think you need to be careful as to whether that is God speaking or just your own little voice.

The reason I believe in God is for several reasons.

One comes to mind right now.

Have you ever really thought you were in control, you had it all together and all of a sudden something that could never happen in a million years just does? There is nothing you can do, it doesn't matter what you think. There is the direction change. No way around it.

I believe that is one sign of God showing you a way you may or may not wish to go. There simply is no choice.

Then I go back to trying to control my future and blam it happens again.

I believe you need to plan and act. I don't believe you control the universe nor does anyone else.

I hope that made sense.

Good luck with your art.

Someone once told me you should always have at least three irons in the fire. So if one fails hopefully another will prevail.

Now this is one deep question. The short answer is yes, I believe god [in whatever form you choose] speaks to me, and to everyone one on the planet, but who listens? And -more towards the question you seem to be asking - who takes action based on what they 'hear?'

You're definitely not nuts. I think many are struggling with the choice between A)a 'real' job and B) their 'passion.' It's like trying to chose which world to live in or something. I sometimes wonder why we can't choose to live in multiple worlds, why we feel compelled to choose one or the other. Can't their be another choice? A third way?....

Eventually you'll have to choose, but at least bookkeeping will pay for stuff while the art career builds. And you'll need the bookkeeping skills in the art world -- counting all the cash you'll make from selling paintings (fingers crossed.) You could always offer bookkeeping services for artists...that's one way to meet people in an industry you want to enter.

I think there are a million answers to the choice you have, and only you can actually make that choice.

Ok, that's enough. I love talking about these kind of subjects, could go on and on and on.

P.S. Serendipity is a beautiful thing. You never know who you might meet, or how they might influence you. Perhaps, as you suggest, the gentleman was a messenger from your soul...

I do believe in God and I think opportunities are presented to us. It's up to us to take them or not. That said, if it feels right, I'd go for it. You can always do bookkeeping.

I don't know that it is 'God' but there is something divine that 'speaks to me' when I am in the wilderness.

It isn't a voice (Don't worry, the TV set isn't sending me messages!)

But there are specific wilderness sites in which I 'hear' and 'see' the hand of the creator. The Eastern Sierra is one such site.

It might be that getting away from the distractions of daily life helps me to 'see' that which is in front of my face every day - but when I hear the sound of the wind whispering in the sugar pines of Tuolumne, hear the Stellar Jay's persistent call or the chirp of the Chipmunk, or the laughing sounds of water as it tumbles o'er granite boulders on its way to destinations unknown, I hear the voice of something so amazing, it may as well be God.

Looking up to the spires of the Cathedral Range, or watching Alpine Glow on Mt. Gibbs as the sun dips below the backbone of California, and looking up into darkened skies and seeing infinite worlds and our own Milky Way, I sense the hand of the divine.

Im really not a religious person. Thats the funny part. I am very analytical, yet there is something powerful that calls out from these holy places.

I would that they were forever preserved, so that others may sense the wonder that I have been so very blessed to have in my life.

Sure, your back hurts from sleeping on the ground, and its a little scary to sleep with bears, but there is a balance in all of this returning every sacrifice a thousand fold.

Damn I need to get back there. Like a salmon returning to the stream of its birth, I must find a way or perish as I try.

I despise the corruption of organized religion, but I see and hear the Word of God in nature.

How is that possible? Maybe his message just got lost by man in translation. But the Word lives on in the trees and the stars.

Peace

Edited by Relic

I believe in God...He's spoken to me a few times, through many different things. Mostly it's just been when I've needed Him most, and He reminds me that He's still there. It's hard to describe, you know? But yeah, I've experienced it...

This is an interesting topic. I like that people are so different and I admire all the differences.

I hear my inner voice often. In music, in solitude, when I used to walk my dogs in the forest. When I drive through Death Valley or on the high point in Yosemite When I drive home from work and see my beautiful valley open up before me, when I see the sun rise over the Figueroa Mountains, when I drive over the top of San Marco's Pass in the sunset and the vast beauty just is there........the colors..

when I hear the special lick in a song or the lyric that speaks to me.... the rythm that moves me on more ways than one..

I hear that voice and wish I was bold and brave.....

So I try to keep every moment in my heart and photos....

I simply love life as it is... maybe a divine feeling but I just can't believe..

There is a fantastic line in the Kevin Smith movie 'Dogma'.

I hope this isn't sacrilegious for anyone because I also respect others too much to want to cause them grief about their religious views.....

In the movie, the Apostle 'Rufus' asks the female character who is the closest living descendant of Jesus, "Do you believe?"

And she replies, "No, but I have a good idea"

I think the point might be that blind faith isn't as important as opening your heart to the idea, and embracing the wonder.

I think it was Kevin Smith's finest movie. And hey, Alanis Morissette plays the role of God :) Was there ever any doubt that 'He' had to be a 'She'? :)

Peace

(((Wildflower)))

WM, I do believe we are spoken to in many ways and in many situations during our lives. People call it different things....intuition for one. We are given alot of choices in our lives....our journeys. Some we take head on and others we are afraid to turn that corner.

I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do.....I would love to see some of your paintings....I used to paint myself....but have not in a long, long time....

Good luck to you....

Yes, I believe there in a god. I also believe messages come to us (usually not in the way we ask) and we have to be open to hear the message. Depending on your age, I can suggest two books (more if you like) that deal with the topic of intent of the devine. If you are 40 or younger I would read "The Red Book". See both books below. I think the red book is good for an older group too, it's just that Sara focuses her attention on younger women.

I remember years ago listening to Victor Frankal (sp) at Evolution of Psychotherapy conference. He wrote: "Man's Search for Meaning - From Concentration Camp to Existenialism (also a suggested read). Someone in the group asked him

Dr. Frankel, How do you know there is a god?

He said, It is so simple. People have a thirst and there is water. Nobody would have a thirst if there was no water. (or something very similar). I thought holy shit, it is that easy because I had been struggling with the concept of god at the time. Other people think this begs the question.

The desire to find meaning to life is part of the collective drive of people. To some degree, most of us have that desire. Why would that be such a universal drive if there was nothing behind it?

The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark (Paperback)

by Sera J. Beak (Author) "So how the hell do you start igniting your divine spark?..." (more)

Over 40, I would suggest

Remember, Be Here Now by Ram Dass (Paperback - Oct 12, 1971)

People have to be able to have something to believe in when they can't themselves explain why. The Romans and Greeks did it with what we now call Mythology and the Egyptians did it with their gods and just about every other race, tribe or what have you does it too. Most Asians have Buddha.

An interesting take on things is a book by Ravi Zacharias, "The Lotus and the Cross". Jesus talks to Buddha. Short book, easy read.

I can't stand organized religion. I despise it. It seems to me it brings more harm than good, and always in the name of God or Allah.

I guess that is why I still have more questions than answers. I mean seriously, if there is only ONE god, then why are there SOOOO many fricking religions out there?