Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

UPDATE - A Benefit Gig to honor the life of Mike "Pipes" Canipe and Family

Thank you everyone. It is my greatest hope that my photos might 'speak' to those who see them. I have more to come, so stay tuned. Ill get as many up for you as I can before flying off on my wretched business trip in a few days.

I feel so blessed to have been present last Friday.

Thank all of you for allowing us to share our love for Pipes.

If my photos managed to capture a little of the outpouring of our love for Mike, my joy is indescribable.

A note on photo usage: http://www.deweil.com/steve/Note.txt

Peace

Edited by Relic
added note

I would like to learn more about Mike Canipe's music.

The stories of Mike's life that uncleBob shared were wonderfully received, as well as the photos at the site he linked above.

If and when it is appropriate to share more, I will be eager to enjoy more stories about this amazing man's musical life.

Peace

Edited by Relic

The camera sees so much more than my eye sometimes!

As for the other idea, trying to keep the photo's usage appropriate is a never ending battle sometimes. Its a risk taken by anyone who shares on the net.

Accomplishing that task without defacing the images is what I am after. That is why I don't slap ugly watermarks across the images.

Above all, my photos are about the music. I don't want them to detract from the magic.

Your idea sounds pretty sharp to me.

My note was not directed to anyone who has shared their thoughts in this thread. Posting some rules regarding the photos usage was long overdue and perhaps it was confusing as it seemingly came 'out of the blue'.

Lets now return to the topic at hand - celebrating Mike's life and remembering the wonderful music Friday night - just wow! It was incredible from where I stood.

A night I will remember forever.

Edited by Relic

Beautiful!

I love the way Darian's guitar is catching the light, and I don't think I have ever seen Jason smile so big! Is he smiling at you? Sure seems like it!

The color is wonderful too, great capture!

You can see how packed with people it was. I don't think I have ever seen Joe's Joint so filled up.

Mike Campbell, a bit of Matt Laug, Jason Sinay and Phil Jones during the DK set.

11529.jpg

At one point during the set, Matt and Phil kicked off an awesome drum duet. Mike wondered off to the far side of the stage where he stood for a while and took it all in. Finally he joined back in along with Jason and Rick Rosas.

11563.jpg

Mike Campbell at wide open throttle

11738.jpg

Bernard Fowler is another amazing performer. One of the most energetic guys I think I have ever seen on stage.

Trying to get a shot without motion blur was highly challenging. I got lucky with this one.

11855.jpg

Edited by Relic

Bernard Fowler was a treat! I'm glad he and Blondie Chaplin got onstage during the first set. (we missed sets 2 & 3 :mad: - and we need a smilie here with steam coming out out its ears to properly express my displeasure about that).

As difficult as it was to take pictures, the backlighting adds a little 'something' to the pictures that did come out.

As difficult as it was to take pictures, the backlighting adds a little 'something' to the pictures that did come out.

I call mine "Rembrandt shots"...lol There's a way to diffuse the spot and spread the light around; but I haven't figured out if my camera can do that. It's pretty cheap...lol

Oh, Jason and The WWB played an incredible version of Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane"; it would have made an apple-pod explode..lol

Yes, those are amazing. I think I'd like to see that Bernard Fowler. You can tell from all the pictures that he's really getting down.

Yes..am thinking the same thing about Bernard Fowler....and damn...he's HOT!!

Amazing photo's and stories!

Bernard Fowler IS hot! :) When he came out to sing Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay with the Knobs, I was just in another place. Then he sang Heroes with Waddy's band, OMG! That is all there is to say.

I would like to learn more about Mike Canipe's music.

The stories of Mike's life that uncleBob shared were wonderfully received, as well as the photos at the site he linked above.

If and when it is appropriate to share more, I will be eager to enjoy more stories about this amazing man's musical life.

Peace

relic, i would love to be able to share more about mike's music, but most of his music archive was lost in "91 when the house he lived in on canyon acres was burnt to the ground during a wildfire. i have been try to collect and sort through the music i have and some other family members are getting me tracks from their stash. when i get it all together i will make it available on the net and post a link.

Eric Johnson, the artist who designed the Flying Crowbar logo just told me he has a couple of cassettes with some tunes including "Radiation".

i just hope someone turns up a copy of "Nazi of Love"

here's something i started writing, still rough and tune free, a work in progress. bob

The Ballad of Pipes Pinto

bob shade 2009

running through the canyon in the '55 Vicky

keep the tires on road, it gets kind of tricky

got the Crowbar blastin on the radio

all the girls know him wherever he goes

doing what he can and what he will

it's so much more fun than the "coupe de'phil"

dirty dan and the music man riding in the rear

smoking on a joint and suckin on a beer

headed down the street to the legion hall

he says, can't stop now "i'm a busy man"