Sign in to follow this  
gatorhugger

The firing of Stan Lynch

I read a post on here a while back by someone that met Scott Thurston and said he is not a very nice man at all.

As for Stan, the band was never the same without him IMO. I much prefer his drumming.

Ah yes indeedy, this may have started back when first artists smeared ochre on cave wall. Can you imagine others in clan shaking heads? More in sorrow than anger, saying: "Yeah, Ogg paints a good hunting scene. But as for being a fully grounded person, hmmm, that's another story." 

Maybe also worth bearing in mind that as well as recording Full Moon Fever, TP was a Wilbury too, for a while. And they were, by all accounts, a cohesive happy band, even if didn't tour. I'm sure I've read how George Harrison 💓 took special care to make sure everyone was feeling alright all the time. (Having learned from experiences with his previous band). So, no egos were hurt while making TW Volume 1& 3, which is pretty remarkable. 

Hah, for some reason reminded of funny lyrics: "You think that you're so big. Well, I saw you kick that dog*. When the wind blew off your wig." (Zero from outer space)

*(which I misremembered as "kick that cat").

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

No, I get it. And it's all good.

Again, your post there just reminded me of how people sometimes won't separate a person from his/her work. I realize there's no bulkhead between the two, but for me, I prefer to focus on the latter, since 1 - it's more interesting, and 2 - it's easier when I don't actually know the person. People just generally seem to project very strong emotions and feelings about their idols private qualities, is all I'm saying. Rightfully or wrongfully , but to what point. But, well.. to each their own, surely. 

Again, a reason to bring it up, is that paradoxically that level of love - or contempt - for the person tends to undermine any serious discussion of the actual work. Deep personal investments in a perceived reality a lot of the times get in the way of any productive attempts at discussing the actual reality, I have come to experience.   

Again, I have no doubt Stan wasn't your average Saint. But what most people fail to consider, I think, is that Tom wasn't either. (Or Scott. Let's not even go there, you might get upset. Haha.. ). And, most of all, that none of that matters that much, at the end of the day. It's not that it's totally void of importance or interest - since we love what they do musically and the dynamics that's behind it. It's just that, at least to me, it's second (or third?) rate priority for the most part. And that we don't really know them, so it will only take us that far.

Sorry if it seems like I was critizing your emotions. They just got me thinking is all. It's all good. Your personal feelings are none of my business, so I may owe you an appology, if that's how it came across. So what if you feel that, besides snare and kick, that affability should be part of the kit (pun!). 

@Shlelter no need for an apology whatsoever. :) I just wanted to explain my reasoning for feeling about Stan the way I do. 

I totally agree that people have a difficult time separating say an actor form their roles they play and find it somewhat hilarious and horribly sad at the same time when I see an actor like Geoffery from Game Of Thrones or Negan from the Walking Dead getting hate mail because the character on a show is evil.   

I do recall as BBS or someone posted above (Cant see who at the moment) that Scott was a dick when someone met him, but on social media, he comes off as a nice guy as does Steve. 

I've seen Stan on RDD and in interviews and documentaries bashing FMF and the music Tom was making and given my love for FMF it rubs me the wrong way.  That said I have trouble saying if I prefer Damn the Torpedoes (Stan) to Wildflowers (Steve) as my top Petty album.  I really love all the early catalog and prefer it generally speaking over the later albums (HC/Mojo/Last DJ) rank toward the middle or bottom for me and I find myself drawn to the earlier stuff LAD/TPHB/DTT)  so musically its a wash where FMF would be top 5 and Echo would be as well with the older stuff and newer stuff all mixed in together.  I'm having trouble getting definitive in my album rankings but its more or less a tie for WF/DTT as #1.   I hope I don't come off as contemptuous against Stan, its just I don't like 'him' as I view his persona, that said I firmly feel he is an amazing drummer, musician and performer. 

I honestly find the discussion very interesting and don't view it as an argument of right or wrong but a discussion. :) 

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

No, I get it. And it's all good.

Again, your post there just reminded me of how people sometimes won't separate a person from his/her work. I realize there's no bulkhead between the two, but for me, I prefer to focus on the latter, since 1 - it's more interesting, and 2 - it's easier when I don't actually know the person. People just generally seem to project very strong emotions and feelings about their idols private qualities, is all I'm saying. Rightfully or wrongfully , but to what point. But, well.. to each their own, surely. 

Again, a reason to bring it up, is that paradoxically that level of love - or contempt - for the person tends to undermine any serious discussion of the actual work. Deep personal investments in a perceived reality a lot of the times get in the way of any productive attempts at discussing the actual reality, I have come to experience.   

Again, I have no doubt Stan wasn't your average Saint. But what most people fail to consider, I think, is that Tom wasn't either. (Or Scott. Let's not even go there, you might get upset. Haha.. ). And, most of all, that none of that matters that much, at the end of the day. It's not that it's totally void of importance or interest - since we love what they do musically and the dynamics that's behind it. It's just that, at least to me, it's second (or third?) rate priority for the most part. And that we don't really know them, so it will only take us that far.

Sorry if it seems like I was critizing your emotions. They just got me thinking is all. It's all good. Your personal feelings are none of my business, so I may owe you an appology, if that's how it came across. So what if you feel that, besides snare and kick, that affability should be part of the kit (pun!). 

@Shlelter no need for an apology whatsoever. :) I just wanted to explain my reasoning for feeling about Stan the way I do. 

I totally agree that people have a difficult time separating say an actor form their roles they play and find it somewhat hilarious and horribly sad at the same time when I see an actor like Geoffery from Game Of Thrones or Negan from the Walking Dead getting hate mail because the character on a show is evil.   

I do recall as BBS or someone posted above (Cant see who at the moment) that Scott was a dick when someone met him, but on social media, he comes off as a nice guy as does Steve. 

I've seen Stan on RDD and in interviews and documentaries bashing FMF and the music Tom was making and given my love for FMF it rubs me the wrong way.  That said I have trouble saying if I prefer Damn the Torpedoes (Stan) to Wildflowers (Steve) as my top Petty album.  I really love all the early catalog and prefer it generally speaking over the later albums (HC/Mojo/Last DJ) rank toward the middle or bottom for me and I find myself drawn to the earlier stuff LAD/TPHB/DTT)  so musically its a wash where FMF would be top 5 and Echo would be as well with the older stuff and newer stuff all mixed in together.  I'm having trouble getting definitive in my album rankings but its more or less a tie for WF/DTT as #1.   I hope I don't come off as contemptuous against Stan, its just I don't like 'him' as I view his persona, that said I firmly feel he is an amazing drummer, musician and performer. 

I honestly find the discussion very interesting and don't view it as an argument of right or wrong but a discussion. :) 

Just one more thing..

On 10/8/2019 at 2:34 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

How dare Stan dislike FMF! How dare he criticize out 'dear Tommy!' 

Those things are one and the same, though, right? 

As for Stan expressing dislike with the direction that songwriting, production style or whatever was taking, I think he has every right. (While I generally don't share such sentiment.)*

Publically lashing out on Tom - or anyone else - personally, though, would indeed be less charming. (Not that I think Stan did too much of such unprovoced public "backstabbing" though.)

Important distinction perhaps.

------

* Being not invited, it's not that he had any professional loyalties to style or otherwise, towards other people's project. He probably liked and disliked lots of music he wasn't involved with. Although, granted, in the case of FMF, his own future perhaps felt at stake, making him more willing to take the bait when asked about it

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Ok then. :)

Just for the record, here's hoping that's not denotative of how you valuate people in general. :D

Not a bit but I don't often bump into these folks in my life so its one of the ways I form my perception of somebody. ;) 

As an aside, or maybe as part of this... Its kind of funny...  Years ago in college, I had a friend that had a older corvette sting-ray late 70s model sporty but incredibly impractical for New England with snow and generally crappy roads.   He told me anyone that owns a corvette is an A-hole (apologies to anyone on here that has one for the next part,) generally speaking this has been a truism.  A year or so later I was at the beach and ran into another friend who was with me on  the main drag. This gorgeous two tone 56-ish vette is rumbeling toward us, exhaust note in full glory. I look at it and say 'that's a damn nice car' and my friend says 'ya, but the owner is an a-hole.'  I laughed then the car stops in front of us and the driver asks "Kirk you want a ride?" - "Nah Dad, I'm all set" is the reply. 🤣   My BIL owned one and he was a total A-hole and I've known a handful of others that were kind of jerks too.  

How is this related you ask? It reminds me of a story in the Zane's book (IIRC) where it talks of Tom driving his new vette to one of his friends places (Harrison?) and Roy is there along with George, they are all appreciating the new corvette and Tom pops the hood to show off the engine.  After they look at it, as guys are wont to do, NONE of them could figure out how to close the hood.  😳 Now if Tom had a vette he was probably an A-hole by my general (and not real at all rule.) 

What struck me in reading about this, is how disconnected Tom was from the real world.  I always like to think of him as a down to earth "regular Joe." But, truth be told, from the time he quit being a grounds keeper in Gainesville forward, he never really had another real job in his life.  He was a rock star and eventually -after hitting a pedestrian- after seeing a UFO and trying to show Dana or Jane said UFO- he gave up driving any cars. 

I in all likelihood share almost nothing in common with Tom, by appearance he was a regular guy, sipping coffee in a diner in a jean jacket contemplatively drinking Maxwell House.  But in reality he was drinking much better coffee, in one of his multi-million dollar homes with staff to make him dinner or coffee very disconnected to the common man and our problems making rent, getting chores done etc. :(   

None of this diminishes my love for his music or the band, its just strange  how much a disconnect people have from our 'mental images' sometimes and if you don't think about it you might never realize.... 

image.jpeg.7b9b752cdbffe5282119822e4e0593b1.jpeg

... from Travelling Wilburys documentary. Maybe your friend's  theory only applies if you're in New England? California weather would be much more appropriate for Corvettes? Hahaha we've all been there with things like popping engine cover. In my case, we just could NOT remote-open hatchback from front seat, most embarrassing. Finally read the manual... Oh, manual says remote-opening lever is UNDER the seat! 

image.jpeg.a2e1e925fed914e1ba2a5c482389d8ae.jpeg

And this beauty ^^^  Which is from that story about how he donated his favourite car for an auction for Doctors Without Borders / lMédecins Sans Frontières

image.jpeg.5921603315d41fba2761399c1e9cd207.jpeg

11 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

image.jpeg.5921603315d41fba2761399c1e9cd207.jpeg

hey does anyone know if the diner from Swinging exists? I'm a huge fan of dinners and going to CA this week and would love to go to this place if its near LA... :D  No doubt Tom was not an New England Corvette owner ;) just feeling a bit surely with my last post... 

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Johnie’s Coffee Shop, LA... (also seen in the movie Big Lebowski.. btw..) I'm afraid it's not a real diner no more.

bummer. :(

6 minutes ago, TomFest said:

That video had 2 things - a great song, and Teresa Lisbon from "The Mentalist".  Had a thing for her.

Are you talking about Owen Wilson's GF? That is Robin Tunney unless you are referring to her character name on the show.  She is fetching in the video and I loved her in the Craft! :) 

39 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

bummer. :(

Are you talking about Owen Wilson's GF? That is Robin Tunney unless you are referring to her character name on the show.  She is fetching in the video and I loved her in the Craft! :) 

Yes, I was referring to her name on the show.  She'll always be Teresa Lisbon for me.  She had a new show this season called "The Fix" which I liked too.  Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming......