Jump to content
pettyfreak94

Tom Petty: Long or Short Hair?

Recommended Posts

God, yeah, that's awful! :lol:

What I've always liked about Tom's hairdo (apart from that mishap in the Christmas video) was that it was very simple, straight-forward, very rock'n'roll actually. Maybe it was the hair equivalent of his music. Didn't look like it took a lot of time, although it might have. Much like his songs come across very effortlessly, when they actually took a lot of work.

Well, I never thought I'd compare Tom Petty's hair to his music, but here I go...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom was the only one in the band who could be said to have "straight" hair, which amuses me.  Even Stan's hair had somewhat of a wild wave/curl to it if left unchecked.  I think, because he had such a strong sense of personal style, Tom always looked good no matter the length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

imho it's all about getting the basics sorted: decent cut & using conditioner.  I have this insight as I too have world's straightest hair (but that's only similarity between me & them!)

Somewhere I read a male music journo's memories -  next morning after a concert he bought a vest and hair conditioner.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

imho it's all about getting the basics sorted: decent cut & using conditioner.  I have this insight as I too have world's straightest hair (but that's only similarity between me & them!)

Somewhere I read a male music journo's memories -  next morning after a concert he bought a vest and hair conditioner.  :)

It's always a reasonable investment to buy a vest.

Pun not intended...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the way he looked at age around 39-40 when he was doing the TW's records. There's an interview with him wearing a brown tweedy hat. He really is stunning in that interview. Love him much older too when he did the Gainsville 30th Anniversary tour.  In the 1990s I thought he looked a bit like an insurance salesman with that blonde hair and beard and then there was the very long hair and his face was a bit haggard in the early naughties (No doubt H and the divorce didn't help). Unfortunately, TP did not age gracefully. Too many fags is very aging and, frankly, a likely contributor to the hip problems he was suffering from too, possibly! Heavy smoking weakens the bones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think Tom's hair was real all the time? It changed many times over the last 20 years and it looked think in the mid to late 90s. Mike has awesome hair, but again I what do you think? Is it real, a wig, or extensions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike told Alice (Benmont's wife) that he grew his hair out and started wearing it in dreads because he was just tired of dealing with it.  If he had extensions or a hairpiece then you wouldn't be able to tell how much it's receded on top over the years, which you totally can when he takes off his hat.  Tom, on the other hand, might have had extensions at one time or another, and that's totally okay if he did, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

34 minutes ago, chimera said:

Mike told Alice (Benmont's wife) that he grew his hair out and started wearing it in dreads because he was just tired of dealing with it.  

Oh, that makes sense!!!  

In same line of thinking, I'm guessing Benmont got contacts or eye surgery from 1976 onwards.  Some things are just a given for people needing to look sharp up on stage... 

Read an article about how much pressure there is on opera singers, of all people, to be glamorous.  And then scrolled through images.  And yeah, they are all like that now, though there's more variation in presentation the further back you go in history.  Apparently they need to be awesomely musical, obviously, to get in but once they're in they must also remember they work in show biz. (Thankfully I'm in a more casual attire profession ;))

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed in 2014 Mike had very big dreads that made me think they werent real. Then the next year seemed smaller. I also noticed a bald spot in 2014 yet not anymore. Something doesnt seem real about it, yet it never looked like he was loosing it like Tom did in the mid 90s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Tom Petty but I'm beginning to think he (and some of the band) might have been bald as a "q" ball.   I think Tom definitely bleached his hair over the years

and sometimes he had thin, receding hair...and other times it was thicker and more full.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, twisterseal said:

I love Tom Petty but I'm beginning to think he (and some of the band) might have been bald as a "q" ball.   I think Tom definitely bleached his hair over the years

and sometimes he had thin, receding hair...and other times it was thicker and more full.   

Took me a bit to track down, but here's one picture of a graying Tom.

 

 

cYhEDKP.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, I have straight hair & it can easily go from looking drowned rat to fluffy bunny (and back again) in hours.  Humidity, conditioner, hair-cut, whether I gave it a blow-dry, wore a hat,  etc etc...  If mine was anything like Mike's I'd "lock it up" too.  (Hipster talk for putting it into dread-locks.)

Anyway, with straight hair, whenever I have been unwell or stressed my hair looks terrible & falls out & breaks off & thins out but then as I recover, it also  recovers.  I think by any definition, Tom was suffering in the late 1990s & not at the peak of his health & well-being.  If you think his hair wasn't 100% great / was thinning, it could easily have just been for those sort of reasons.  I'm happy to believe that as he came back into the sunshine of life, so to speak, he could easily have bounced back & that would've been reflected in things like his hair & physical fitness.  I understand that for some men it's a one-way street into baldness, but there are many other possible options too. 

Also, some people with lovely hair do this thing on holidays where they "rest" their hair ie just let it be for a change & not do anything much with it.  This may also be true for singer-songwriters.  If you're tempted to try this yourself, however, you  need to be aware of what happens next.  You'll get a phone call from a loving relative who saw a recent photo & asks if you're ill, eating properly & why are you letting yourself go?  This may also be true for singer-songwriters once they have a break from touring, but with fans doing the asking, instead of relatives. 

Who knows?   

But, hey, whatever you wanna believe.  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Also, some people with lovely hair do this thing on holidays where they "rest" their hair

Right. I use to send mine to the Bahamas for a few weeks every year. While it's away I really spoil myself with cozy evenings at home. If forced to go out, to buy some treats or to see the dentist, I'll normally wear a hat. Then, when it's back from it's trip, all rested and ataunt, we usually need a few days to get used to each other again, and people sometimes will turn around astonished to look at us as we fight our way down the street. Wait what are we taking about. Oh.. ok then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 6:11 AM, Shelter said:

Right. I use to send mine to the Bahamas for a few weeks every year. While it's away I really spoil myself with cozy evenings at home. If forced to go out, to buy some treats or to see the dentist, I'll normally wear a hat. Then, when it's back from it's trip, all rested and ataunt, we usually need a few days to get used to each other again, and people sometimes will turn around astonished to look at us as we fight our way down the street. Wait what are we taking about. Oh.. ok then.

you're hilarious - you're making me laugh so much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×