Sign in to follow this  
LoveroftheBayou

Mudcrutch Newbie

Just wanted to say "Hello" to everyone, as a Mudcrutch newbie, and say a few words about how I was introduced to Mudcrutch. To begin with, my name is Kent, aka LoveroftheBayou.

A friend of mine who works at a music store asked me if I heard of Mudcrutch. I confess, I have been a casual fan of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (have the Anthology album), but I was not an avid follower... so I told my friend "No, I hadn't heard of them." My friend gave me a brief history of the band and who was in it. I was intrigued.

I am a Johnny Cash fan, especially his work with Rick Rubin, and I agree with a quote Tom Petty gave about a decade ago: "Unchained is one of the best Heartbreakers albums." The Unchained album is what made me begin to really stand up and take notice of the musical versatility and craftsmanship that the Heartbreakers were capable of producing.

So, after having spoken with my friend, I went home, typed in "Mudcrutch" on youtube, and was immediately sold when I heard "Scare Easy." I dug the lyrics, the music almost contains a southern "drawl" in itself, and Tom's vocal inflections and annunciations ("...when I'm under the gun...") are simply terrific and one of a kind. Again, I was sold.

Then I came across a little gem of a video under "Scare Easy" called "Lover of the Bayou"... and that sealed the deal for me! Two terrific songs... the band sounded great! I immediately went out and purchased the Mudcrutch disc, and ordered the t-shirt from fanfire.com. The disc did not disappoint, in fact, I feel that I have gotten more than my money's worth! I can only hope that Mudcrutch will continue. It is so refreshing to hear some new "real" music again in this day and age!

So now, I have purchased the Runnin' Down a Dream DVD/CD package, the Conversations with Tom Petty book, the Highway Companion cd, and the Traveling Wilbury's box set.

After seeing footage of Tom standing up for Roger McGuinn on the dvd, and his stance on corporate radio, I have a greater appreciation for Tom as an individual. And collectively, the Heartbreakers are untouchable as a musical entity.

Sorry this was so long-winded. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I am glad to be here!

:)

You know one day our evil little plan will work. Everyone will be under the spell. ~ evil laugh~

Welcome to the Farm Kent

This is the Funny Farm, right??? Thank you, everyone, for making me feel welcome!

(Listening to the Wilbury's VOl. 3 at the moment... gearing up for Dylan who will be around my neck of the woods toward the end of August.)

:) Another satisfied customer!

Welcome Kent!

So as a Johnny Cash fan, could you hear Johnny singing 'House of Stone'? What do you think?

Yes, I actually could, Relic... now that you mention it! It fits his style both musically and lyrically.

Cash did a good job on Southern Accent, the song, considering his frail condition. I feel that makes it all the more endearing, how Johnny Cash still gave everything 100%, even though he was so frail.

I wonder how Tom felt when Cash covered his songs (Southern Accent and I Won't Back Down)? In my humble opinion, that would be one of the greatest compliments as a writer- if Johnny Cash thought enough of my material to desire to cover it.

Kudos, again, to Tom for being a wonderful songsmith!

Kent, if you don't mind asking what is your age range 20's, 30's?

Just wondering how you missed Tom's music for 30 years :)

I am well in my 30s! It's not that I missed out -completely- on Tom, it's simply that I was only a "casual" fan growing up and, over the years, I have really grown to appreciate Tom's songcraft. Perhaps it's a bit of maturation on my part.

Here's my musical "story": I cut my musical teeth on bands like KISS in the 70's. I grew into a headbanger, back when metal (power, glam, pop-metal... didn't matter) was ruling the airwaves. But I always had a penchant for acoustic based, Americana type songs... Black Water by the Doobies, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot, the album Slow Train Coming by Dylan, etc...

Then I came across two lesser known groups that really turned me on to acoustic based rock and/or rock with an Americana vibe: The Lost Dogs, and Vigilantes of Love (Bill Mallonee). Next I began to get into Johnny Cash. I thought it was phenomenal how much heart and soul he put into his music- especially in his twilight years... and that's what really made me give attention to TP and company- the Unchained album simply sounds amazing! Solitary Man, the album, is great too.

Once I was introduced to Mudcrutch, about 2 weeks ago, that was it, I was hooked! I guess you could say I was a diehard Mudcrutch fan before a TP fan!!! But I am both now! :)

Glad you found your way home!! Now you just need to buy Tom's first 4 albums and start slapping yourself for all the missed years. :)

Actually all those songs will be new to you, the B sides, not the hits, so I kind of envy you!

You are about to be amazed and a true convert.

Welcome Kent! :)

Anything Tom's been connected with is a musical goldmine, as far as I'm concerned! :003:

You probably already knew this, but it's worth repeating--Unchained won Best Country Album at the 1997 Grammys!

Yes it did, my friend, yes it did!!! :)

I am really digging Highway Companion right now- enjoying the vocal and guitar treatment given to the song Jack.

Edited by LoveroftheBayou
I misspelled a word- a pet peeve of mine!

Kent I'm guessing you havent seen a TPATH show. It's not to late. Hurry not much longer and the run will be over. Even if you have to fly to see them. It will be so worth it.:045:

Kent I'm guessing you havent seen a TPATH show. It's not to late. Hurry not much longer and the run will be over. Even if you have to fly to see them. It will be so worth it.:045:

You are correct, Flower, I have not seen one! :085: And unfortunately, he is not coming to a city near me this time 'round. I will definitely go when he comes near.

However, as a second place prize, I did afford myself the luxury of purchasing a commemorative TPATH 30th year commemorative tour shirt!!!

Welcome Kent! A metal head interested in accoustic American songs? Are you really Ryan Adams? lol

Maybe Mudcrutch will tour again in the fall after the Heartbreakers are done and you can see them then. We are all hoping the same!

Welcome Kent! A metal head interested in accoustic American songs? Are you really Ryan Adams? lol quote]

Tell me about it! I feel so musically schizophrenic! :) I actually owe a lot of my variety of musical tastes from my mom. As a young kid (around age 5), I remember her playing Doobie Brothers records on the record player. I also remember listening to early Eagles material too (Lying Eyes, One of These Nights, etc...)

My step mom was also really cool about music. She would put on her early Stones and Beatles albums for me- and these were like first U.S. pressings- the real deal.

I think my headbanging began when my older step brother brought a KISS 8-track tape home with him one day- it was the Rock and Roll Over album. To me, a young kid in the 70's, they were like superheroes who played music. Plus I just wanted to be like my older "cooler" brother back then. But the heavy music stuck.

Now that I'm older and a bit more mature, I can see how cartoonish most of the metal was in the 80's. It's fun to reminisce to at times, but I am really enjoying music with "substance" to it these days, and Petty fits that bill. I also enjoy the blues.