Sign in to follow this  
_Imagine_

The Life And Times of Charlie T. Wilbury Jr.

I'm suprised theres not much discussion on this amazing musician. He was also known, later, as Muddy Wilbury. I'm Talking about Tom Petty in the Traveling Wilburys. One of the most Underated groups in the history of rock music. Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne & Tom Petty. All In the same group. Like Derek and The Dominos, the band was short lived. One album together. A second album, minus Roy Orbison. Both essentials in folk rock, classic rock, any rock really. "So we went out there to Bob Dylan's house, sat on the grass and from the germ of an idea that George had on the guitar we wound up writing this song called 'Handle With Care'." - Tom Petty

This group came together by chance. "I just thought I'll just go into the studio tomorrow and do one, and it happened that Jeff was working with Roy and Roy wanted to come. My guitar was at Tom's house for some reason and I had to go round and get it. And the only studio that we could find available was Bob's. So we thought, Bobs got one, we'll just call him up." - George Harrison on the formation of the Wilburys . The song they came up with was "Handle with Care". However, the record company immediately realized it was too good to be released as a single "filler". What a beautiful thing we were blessed with. What song did they do that wasen't good? "7 Deadly Sins", "End of The Line", "The Devil's Been Busy", "Congratulations", "Cool Dry Place", etc. With the death of Roy Orbison, the group as a whole was gone. But the remaning memebers went on to record one last album together. And good they did because even without the wonderful blessed voice of Roy Orbison, they created another classic. "We watched Roy give an incredible concert and kept nudging each other and saying, 'Isn't he great? He's in our band.' We were real happy that night." - Tom Petty, on the night Roy Orbison agreed to form the Wilburys.

"Give us some lyrics, you famous lyricist." - George Harrisson to Bob Dylan while writing 'Handle With Care'