Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

The Social at the Hamptons

^ Ames - that was just poor sentence construction, the band was paid $850,000, the mayor just had a "great

time." :)

Thanks Amylou... I wasn't sure if political funding thing...lol We don't want to go down that road...lol

I don't care if they do the occasional private gig as long as they play for us once in awhile. Shoot...if they want to go celebrate money with people, it's up to them...

Hmm....The Knobettes know that The Knobs play for the joy of it. I'm pretty sure it isn't for the money... (How much does the Viper Room pay? lol)

You know....I'm wondering if the dollar amounts in the article are gross or net. I think the promoters are getting a hunk of change, right?

Yeah....I thought the Last DJ was about how money has spoiled the music. "Untalented trampies" (LOL Amylou) get airplay because they're marketable and that's only reason their music is played, etc.

I don't care if they do the occasional private gig as long as they play for us once in awhile. Shoot...if they want to go celebrate money with people, it's up to them...

That's kind of how I feel. I can understand wanting the big payday that comes with these gigs, but that's ALL they seem to be doing this year. Would it be so difficult to do one or two shows for "great unwashed" after all the rehearsal, etc, they must have done for these Hamptons shows?

I am not opposed to the band making a quick buck. I think I'm just disappointed in Tom a little because it seems to go against everything he's always said. He's always stood up for his convictions and spoke his mind. He really got on a soapbox during the promotion of the Last DJ about the golden circle. He backed his songs when he got so much criticism and didn't apologize for them. Now it feels like he's catering to the people he was so down on for the big buck! WTF Tom?

money_becomes_king_symbol.jpg

I am not opposed to the band making a quick buck. I think I'm just disappointed in Tom a little because it seems to go against everything he's always said. He's always stood up for his convictions and spoke his mind. He really got on a soapbox during the promotion of the Last DJ about the golden circle. He backed his songs when he got so much criticism and didn't apologize for them. Now it feels like he's catering to the people he was so down on for the big buck! WTF Tom?

money_becomes_king_symbol.jpg

I've found this all very confusing, and I can't help but feel disappointed.

I know I feel that way sometimes too Marion. But I have to keep reminding myself that at least they haven't gone way up on their ticket prices to the fans like some of their rock equals have done. Now that being said, They'll probably raise their ticket prices on the next tour, lol.

Yeah, I'm going to wait until the next tour to decide if money has become king. I'm not opposed to these occassional big paychecks, even if they are for the golden circle, as long as they keep the average fan base in mind like they always have in the past.

I have mixed feelings and I'm raising an eyebrow, but reserving judgment. We don't know why they did this, and they don't want us to know why. Maybe it was the money. Maybe someone owed someone a favor. Maybe it was a professional obligation, or some other reason we can't imagine. I believe when Tom makes such decisions he has the best interest of the band at heart. He may not always make the best or the right decisions, but I think he has a pretty good track record, or the band wouldn't still be around. Time will tell if this was one of the bad decisions or not.

And I also think, well, THEY are rich and famous too. They were just playing to their own kind for a change, hard as that is for us riff-raff to swallow. (There is a thread over at the officials [OOPS! Can I say that here?] about a promoter of the show selling it as a way for VIPs to avoid the riff-raff.)

If this is the start of a pattern, I would be alarmed. A one-time thing? No biggy to me really. It's a little painful, a little bit of a snub, but I'll wait and see what happens next.

OK - how's about this? :)

The Heartbreakers seem to get around in terms of backing up other musicians etc., when not touring with TPATH. They likely don't just "get together" and jam for the grins of it much. So they play these gigs for semi-interested fans - giving the Hamptons crowd the benefit of the doubt that there are a few die-hards in there - but there is no magic. They realize how much they love performing for US and decided to tour again at a venue/price that again makes it reasonable for the rest of us!

Maybe it will take this crowd to make them realize what they're missing! LOL!

Eeeeek. The more I learn about this event, the more I have to wonder why they played at this thing. Must be more to the story than we know. This is totally out of character. But, time to move on. :017: :102:

Ah yes, the beautiful people. I'll take us old riff raff any old day. Uhm, and tell me am I suppose to recognize those people he took pictures of? I didn't see alot of pictures of the band but I gotta tell you, I sure am hungry, lol. :045:

Wow, I can´t believe it, there are about 2 or 3 pictures of Tom and thousand pictures of "food" (if you can call this so).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1020/1240464207_a6f0aa8ce3.jpg?v=0

:078: 44753579xx8.gif :078:

Cool, at least I won´t waste time for eating the next days, thanks.