Sign in to follow this  
Echosoftom

Random Thoughts Thread

It's only the fully automatic e-scooters being banned.  You can still have semi-auto e-scooters. You know - to protect yourself from all of those walkers out there. You never know when you might need to take out a horde of them.

You just missed the naked bicyclists in Seattle.  The Fremont area north of downtown is a haven for - let's call them free thinking Americans (hippies).  This weekend was their street fair which includes the naked bike ride.  I'll display it as a link because it may not be SFW.  They paint their bodies, but well......some more successful than others at obscuring the important parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3246bPg8M6I

23 hours ago, Shelter said:

Not that I don't get the frustration.. but going to these lenghts just to be able to hear it is really a step too far. ;)

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-music-theft/  

BTW I am starting a GoFund me for the legal fees associated with my Petty Theft: contributors will get special streaming access to AllTheRest of my crimes.... ;)   

Mind boggling that someone would give so little care to Tom's unpublished music that they are in some rando storage facility on a hard drive. 😢

Stored with guitars, musical instruments and a gun. A gun???  Whaaaattt?! 

Not much use having a gun as a deterrent without, you know, having someone to wave it in a threatening manner at any baddies. Preferably someone who's "got a licence to wear this .38". If must have guns, and I'm not at all convinced they're a good idea. Like Lynyrd Skynrd says in Saturday Night Special: dump them in the sea. 

But really, wtf? The whole story's odd. Yes, it might be a cool dark place, taking up the whole block. But. How safe do you wanna be? A lot safer than letting guitars & music be stolen by burglars, for starters. Burglars who then become armed burglars

7 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Stored with guitars, musical instruments and a gun. A gun???  Whaaaattt?! 

Not much use having a gun as a deterrent without, you know, having someone to wave it in a threatening manner at any baddies. Preferably someone who's "got a licence to wear this .38". If must have guns, and I'm not at all convinced they're a good idea. Like Lynyrd Skynrd says in Saturday Night Special: dump them in the sea. 

But really, wtf? The whole story's odd. Yes, it might be a cool dark place, taking up the whole block. But. How safe do you wanna be? A lot safer than letting guitars & music be stolen by burglars, for starters. Burglars who then become armed burglars

Agreed, I'm more than a little surprised Tom owned GUNS, Guns and a corvette..... Tom we hardly knew ya.... :(    I actually really liked when Tom played Knocking on heavens door w Mudcrutch and said 'drop all the guns in the sea' so to hear he was an owner....   

That story about a break-in and theft is not what it seems.  At least according to the resident Tom Petty expert at the Steve Hoffman forum....

-----------

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tom-petty-heartbreakers-2019-thread.799609/page-13#post-22310651

The story is bollocks. To begin with TP didn't store his personal possessions in some random storage locker, especially his recorded work all of which still safely remains in the possession of and accessible by his estate.

The Clubhouse was never burglarized! The storage locker that was raided belonged to a private citizen and it's contents were to my knowledge not connected to the Tom Petty estate. While the soft media was good enough to eventually clarify the issue stating the the locker in question belonged to a former engineer of Tom Petty, it should be implicitly understood that the storage locker that was raided at no time was the property of Tom Petty or his estate. As for the items that were recovered from the locker, if I was to hazard a guess I would say that they were items that were gifted to the owner of the locker either by TP and/or his management. Furthermore as far as the recordings that were recovered are concerned, since the contents of such were described as hard drives, these are no doubt digital copies of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' music rather than the far more valuable actual multi-track reels themselves. 

------------------------

For much of the latter portion of Tom Petty's professional career, much of his musical instruments were stored at the Heartbreakers' rehearsal space "The Clubhouse". The location is kept top-secret but it is known to house most if not all of the band's road instruments. It is worth noting that the one time there was a successful pillage of Petty's musical instruments in 2012, they were stolen apparently in transit as the band was preparing to head out on the road. It had all the ear markings of an inside job as a security guard was later arrested in the caper.

FWIW, even in the nineteen eighties Petty kept most of his musical instruments off premises as when his house was claimed by arson in 1987, about the only things he was able to salvage were his musical instruments and private recordings which were kept at a location separate from his main property. This may have been due to Petty's belief in a separation between church and state, as he had attempted in the mid-eighties to record "Southern Accents" in his basement, but it lead to issues between himself and the rest of his family at the time. When Petty relocated to Malibu, he kept two properties and installed a small recording studio in one of them and would keep many of his preferred musical instruments at this location. I also know that Tom Petty's friend Norman Harris (of Norm's Rare Guitars) had several of Petty's guitars in his personal collection, that Petty donated to him at one time or another. There are some other stories as well regarding TP's guitars and the like, but I don't want to tell any tales outside of school so we'll leave it at that.

PS: While I have no desire to get into this topic again, it is important that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans understand that the reason Tom Petty went on tour in 2017 was not out of some wanton desire or greed. He was a professional right up until the very end. He made a commitment to his band, his crew (both of whom he loved) and his fans to live up to an obligation and he did just that. Nobody was twisting his arm or forcing him to go out on the road. He didn't need to tour because he was in some type of financial distress. To paraphrase Mike Campbell prior to Petty's passing, the Heartbreakers go on tour because that is what rock bands do. I miss TP like hell, but one thing I've learned in the past two years is that it does no good to wring my hands over the situation. Tom Petty made a decision to go out and tour in 2017 and given the circumstances I respected the hell out of him for doing so then and continue to feel the same way today.

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Agreed, I'm more than a little surprised Tom owned GUNS, Guns and a corvette..... Tom we hardly knew ya.... :( 

Although it might have been a joke, there was an interview ca. 1999 where he mentions getting in trouble for shooting at trees.

Yeah, I always worry about temper. I could never have a gun in the house. They won't let me have one. I've had mine taken away. Police took mine, because I'd just start shooting. I wouldn't shoot at people. But I'll go out and kill a tree. My dad always had guns. I'm good with a gun. I really like shooting, and when I'd get mad, I'd take a gun and kill some inanimate object. But finally I got it taken away from me because I was disturbing the peace. I think it's good. It's too dangerous. You don't need it. But I do shoot targets.

Just popping in to say hi.