Sign in to follow this  
Echosoftom

Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Why use an SSD? They are faster but burn out a million times faster than a HDD. It's not worth the money or trouble to me.

It's a tradeoff. SSDs are far faster access than mechanical hard drive. 

2 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Sounds like you need a new PC. Don't waste money trying to upgrade an old PC. New upgrades can't help an old slow PC. YOU HAVE to take the plunge and spend the money, or you will forever be left in the past.

It depends, actually. If something's bottlenecking the system, replacing it will probably help.

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

thanks Aimee, don't think the is much I can do that doesn't involve something more than I want to do with the machine now. Its a HP m3-u001dx  

I looked at best buy where I bought it

Did you buy it brand-new or refurbished? If the latter, I'm wondering if it's even the same hardware. I don't exactly trust Best Buy.

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

my current HDD is on its way out, making a buzzing noise periodically.

Hm, what sort of buzzing? It's possible the drive just isn't mounted right. 'Course, keep your data backed up. 

6 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Did you buy it brand-new or refurbished? If the latter, I'm wondering if it's even the same hardware. I don't exactly trust Best Buy.

Hm, what sort of buzzing? It's possible the drive just isn't mounted right. 'Course, keep your data backed up. 

I think this was one of the last things I bought at Best Buy about 3 years back.  I'm really disgusted with their customer service in general.  the buzzing is a whirring noise I associate with a laptop on its way out... its a grinding noise that seems come and go. Got a full backup going ongoing with a portable drive. :) 

9 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I think this was one of the last things I bought at Best Buy about 3 years back.  I'm really disgusted with their customer service in general.  the buzzing is a whirring noise I associate with a laptop on its way out... its a grinding noise that seems come and go. Got a full backup going ongoing with a portable drive. :) 

Good luck with whatever you decide Hoodoo Man! Glad the backup is going. I'm just impressed that you opened the machine up...!

Don't give up on your maple just yet!!

On 2/14/2019 at 2:08 AM, TomFest said:

In the fall it was really spectacular.  The best looking tree on the street.   I'm so sad.....

1355409581_Mytree.thumb.jpg.0e3ff26fdcbc24a1b4e2302dd590fd6f.jpg

Admittedly with a smaller tree. http://gardenatoz.org/whats-up/ensemble-editions/late-winter/whats-up-82/fix-split-trunks/

Or if you can even manage to have a tree surgeon take a look? (Fancy name but they are definitely more than just gardeners with chainsaws.) Such a beauty in fall & looks shady for summer too. I love trees & am hoping for a good outcome. Maybe your maple can be snatched back from hungry jaws of winter & have another 8 lives (cat-like). 

The reason I'm so interested is because we've often seen big trees at botanical gardens. Sometimes they have tension bandages / corsets holding splits or grafts together while damage heals. AND long-term cabling, crutches or other supports under branches to bear the weight. Japanese (I've not been) are keen in this treatment too. 

Your damage is up and down but the bark looks okay? In my amateur keen gardener opinion, where there's bark, there's still hope.

(If damage was across-ways with a stump and separate fallen tree 😕or Winter ring-barked your maple 😕 )

what about if treatment meant you could still save even one side?  

Okay, some images, just off internet, of what im talking about. (Hope what I've suggested isn't fiendishly expensive for domestic gardens and only available for heritage trees in botanical gardens!).

Good luck!

images (4).jpeg

265351155_images(3).jpeg.5c3716ee0bec9ef2576dc5e011e07c70.jpeg

51 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I hope they can save it!

Cautiously optimistic.  I talked to an arborist today and sent him some pictures.  He's going to come by early next week and look closer but he thinks we could absolutely try to save it.  So we'll see.  I'll report back later on it.

Oh, dear. Sorry about that. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's in his early 59's. He had it for 25 years.  As for the haircutting thing, I've done it. With disastrous results. Even with steady hands, I don't recommend cutting your own hair.  ;)

We're gaining about 3 minutes of daylight every day!

On 2/15/2019 at 11:44 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I hope they can save it!

Following up on the maple tree saga, I've had an Arborist look at it - in fact he had lots of "master arborist" titles - and he thinks we can do this. They'll end up drilling through both halves of the split and put a big bolt through there, to try bringing them back together, or as close as possible.  Then also there will be cabling connecting the damaged section across to the other large portions of the trunk for support.  

It's going to be nearly $1,000 but my wife and I agreed we owe it to this beautiful tree that we've loved for over 20 years. It's the least we can do. So here goes....

7 hours ago, TomFest said:

Following up on the maple tree saga, I've had an Arborist look at it - in fact he had lots of "master arborist" titles - and he thinks we can do this. They'll end up drilling through both halves of the split and put a big bolt through there, to try bringing them back together, or as close as possible.  Then also there will be cabling connecting the damaged section across to the other large portions of the trunk for support.  

It's going to be nearly $1,000 but my wife and I agreed we owe it to this beautiful tree that we've loved for over 20 years. It's the least we can do. So here goes....

First, I'm glad that you can save it. Second, whoa at the cost! I'm glad you both can afford it. Hope one day in the future you can post a photo of the tree all healed up! Picture it happening one day!

cheers

Wow, $1000... ah, about $1 per week for all those 20 years... Is it a maple syrup tree by any chance?

So pleased for you & Mrs Tomfest that your master arborist feels there's a good chance for long term survival. 🌿🌿🌿 that's a happy diagnosis. :D despite the cost.

In slightly related topic, did you see a family in Japan have lost 7 of their bonsai to thieves? They're saying "please water them!" One tree has even been in the family for 400 years (ie since early 1600s)! I think my ancestors were still living in mud huts & arguing with their neighbours about bagpipes & sheep at that stage - definitely not planting bonsai.