Sign in to follow this  
Echosoftom

Random Thoughts Thread

Just realized a couple of days ago was my 10 year anniversary since I quit smoking.  Yay me!   The math is actually kind of scary.  Pack and half per day comes to over 100,000 cigarettes not smoked, and well over $40,000 not spent on cigarettes.  Yikes.

^ If it was only about money, I'd still be doing it.  Stupid, but true.  Tobacco is evil.  It makes you defend it, but it kills you and those around you.  I didn't quit because I wanted to. I quit because I knew I had to.

Nurk and Tomfest, very encouraging to read your comments about quitting smoking! My husband has quit; I am working on it and have cut way down. I am also at the point where I NEED to quit; I simply am not as young as I used to be. How did the two of you do it? Patches, drugs, cold turkey?

I had previously tried cold turkey, the patch, and the gum.  None of them stuck.  It was the nicotine lozenges that finally did it.  When you break it down, there are 2 things to beat - the smoking habit, and the nicotine addiction.  I chose to do them one at a time.  I used the nicotine lozenges for quite a long time.  They deliver nicotine, and they keep your mouth busy.  Nicotine doesn't cause cancer, it's all the other crap in cigarettes that does.  The lozenges are a bit spendy, but there are generic versions out there.  I gradually lowered the dose, and eventually switched to just a breath mint or something. The entire process probably took place over a year or so.  But it worked for me. Good luck, kiddo.  I beat myself up for a long time, just like you're doing.  I know that fight.  You can do it. 

^ Sadly, that is the kind of thing that a smoker will cling to.  "See!  Cigarettes aren't so bad!!  They actually protect you!"   

That's what tobacco does to you.  Sorry if I'm preaching, but it's that important. I've had so many relatives die of cancer that I've lost count.  Nearly 100% of them lifelong smokers.  I'm so happy that none of my children smoke cigarettes.  Time to break the cycle.

^I never thought of it before, but my kids don't smoke either. Looks like the cycle has broken for the next generation, anyway!

Thanks much for the info about your experience with the lozenges, Tomfest. My husband and I actually quit cold turkey in 2013, but it only lasted a month. Taking the long-term approach is a good idea!

I quit by cold turkey, but not by choice. I went to the hospital for a catheterization and after 2 earlier ones with 5 stents in 2 arteries, 4 arteries were blocked again. I knew as soon as the camera got to my heart I was in trouble (I was watching on the screen) and I couldn't see any arteries with blood flow! Dr told me more stents were out of the question, I needed Open heart surgery immediately. I said ok and they wheeled me out and I don't remember anything after that. They did 4 bypasses and I was in a coma for 12 days in ICU. When I woke up I had to stay in different recovery rooms on different floors for another 15 days and I don't remember any of that either. When I got home, they had me on some pretty good drugs, cuz I never felt any pain at all and I never even knew I was home until 2 weeks later when one morning I woke up and looked at the ceiling and realized I was home!!!! So I was out of it for about a month and a half and that period of time without smoking got me off cigs. That's the hard way to quit cigs, but it worked for me.

Benny - I don't envy you any of that experience, but I'm sure glad you came through!  Way to go!  I feel better mentally and physically, and I'm sure you do too.  We did something good for our body for a change!  LOL   

For everyone that's still smoking, its Wake Up Time! 😉  You can do this too!  We're rooting for you, Wild1.

It's still seems strange to me about smoking, I understand that I wanted to and still think about it occasionally, but I have no desire to start again. Unfortunately for me, I had to quit the hard way after 45 years of smoking 3 cartons a week! It seems to me now that it would be a lot easier to quit on your own before the trouble begins.

6 hours ago, TomFest said:

^ Sadly, that is the kind of thing that a smoker will cling to.  "See!  Cigarettes aren't so bad!!  They actually protect you!"   

Plus you can just as easily get the beneficial effects of nicotine through a patch. But the psychological effects of withdrawal can sometimes be as much a stumbling block as the physical.

The power got knocked out for around an hour, and when I turned my computer back on the date on it was set to January 6, 2023. I'd forgotten that I'd installed a flux capacitor in this thing.

It's really quite a strange issue, though. If the CMOS battery had drained, I wouldn't expect it to jump forward five years. On the other hand, my very presence seems to set off glitches in things.