Sign in to follow this  
Echosoftom

Random Thoughts Thread

HAHA the ceiling?! I love that one, gonna try it next time I'm making spaghetti, watch, it won't be done and it'll look like that scene in Alien (Ah! My face!) 

16 hours ago, Shelter said:

Only one way to go, people. Come out of the Woodward!

Yeah, which Woodward are y'comin' outta there? I would think Iowa or Oklahoma. Now in Kansas, they have onion sandwiches. 

Also, I'm about to pull out my Southern cookbook ... and for those who aren't from there I'm sure you know everyone gets sick of the 'boiled peanuts' which by the way, a very acquired taste - not unlike here in the West where we feature 'Rocky Mountain Oysters' 

The things people will eat. 

Well.. the clues to your dreams start to add up.

Another thing: Your profile pic does come off positively 3D in miniature on my phone screen. Is that by design or by accident? I know the glitch art method, there.. But see.. there's a southern accident where I come from. (Glitch writing, that.) 

12 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

I just woke up from a crazy dream and had to double-check: No, everybody is not wearing a traffic cone on their head during "Don't Come Around Here No More." 

I'm almost disappointed.

:lol:

Yeah I'm not sure Jeff Stein would have been up for that kind of surreality.

A week or two ago, I also had a dream about the intro for "You Got Lucky," except that in my head it had somehow gotten mixed up with the events of Half-Life 1. Instead of digging up the radio, Tom digs up a headcrab. Then like a knight-in-very-orange-powered-armor, Gordon Freeman pops out of nowhere, kills the headcrab with a crowbar, and without a word just sprints off. Tom and Mike stare at each other and shrug in confusion.

I've learned my lessons. I don't play games and watch music videos at the same time anymore.

Especially not before bed.

I've been on a bit of a Half-Life kick lately, if you haven't noticed. This year is the 20th anniversary of the first game's release.

I'll try to keep it to the video game thread though so I don't annoy everyone.

I had a Humphrey Bogart marathon recently.  Banged out a bunch in a row including Casablanca, African Queen, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon and a couple that he did with Bacall.  That guy was an actual actor. Not like many actors these days that seem to be the same character in every movie they're in.  Bogie was the real deal.  Great stuff.

Edward G. Robinson too - people remember him in his various gangster movies but he was capable of great nuance in various roles.  My favorite is his performance in the Fritz Lang film Scarlet Street.

I was in a film club & we got access to old movies on reels & old-school projector.  Happy days.

Casablanca & Maltese Falcon ❤️❤️

Front row for Lawrence of Arabia & all I remember is the slow approach of Omar Sharif's character on his horse & the painful crick in my neck

I aim to watch some of those iconic american death valley ones though - John Ford - for the big clouds like in the Learning To Fly music video.  Will look out for this Edward G Robinson actor too.  So now even some of my film watching is indirectly inspired by my music taste?  :)

(Not Death Valley - but Monument Valley.  Great scenery.)  But back to Bogie - my favorite I think is The African Queen.  I believe Bogie won his only Oscar for that one.  I heard somewhere that Katharine  Hepburn had written a book about that experience, so I went and found that too.  "The Making Of The African Queen" - or - "How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall, and Huston, and Almost Lost My Mind".  Came out in 1987.  Really interesting to hear the entire experience described by Katherine Hepburn.

Big Edward G. Robinson fan also.  He was in more than one of Bogie's movies.  I have his last movie on the shelf over here - "Soylent Green" with Charlton Heston.  Eddie steals that movie too. He's great in it.

Music pun in headline: The Needles and the Damage Done. 

• Needles: There's a weird outbreak of needles (& pins) being found in strawberries in Australia and NZ.  Theory is some people are deliberately sabotaging the harvest for reasons known only to themselves.  
  • Damage: It's hurting the farmers & truck-drivers etc as supermarkets are not selling strawbs until the situation is resolved.  Also hurting the people who love strawberries. (I'm sure Neil Young would be supporting the farmers in this.)