Sign in to follow this  
Echosoftom

Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

so instead of him telling a tale, he sort of tells one, then obscures it with layers and layers of events, surreal moments and nightmarish intensity with slow pacing

Removing the strings indeed. Something like that. Removing Mike, even. Leaving the general outline of a guitar body only - a symbol, as it were - to replace the full experience.... That, to me, is the type of story telling people seem to prefer. "Ah, it's a guitar! Nice touch!"

Personally, I don't sense the difference between the "tales" mentioned. I think the common misunderstanding here is a about what level of the "telling" carries the real "story". The real story, as far as I'm concerned, really is not where most people been taught to look for it. That's why you may think it's not there. 

you didn't answer my question, did you see Season 3? What did you think of it?

Sorry. Yes. I did. I found it absolitely brilliant. Unsurpassed, really, in terms of television. The "3" really being beside the point. Aside from some obvious references to the old ground breaking series, the latest instalment is its own entity entirely! Pure genius.

Fair enough. You are one of the most eloquent people on here and can be counted on for intelligent well thought out posts

Thank you for saying so! Very kind! Coming from one of the most prolific posters to pass through over the years, that is some praise. Glad you appreciate whatever efforts been made, whatever dimensions and depths found.

I wasn't exactly implying an exit. That post was just a half-joking way to say that some gold people post here is really wasted. But, yeah, I've had a growing sense of playing the part of Don Quixote, lately. The somewhat "lynchian" quality to things (speaking of)  should suit me well, one may think, but something seem to be missing... we'll see. I may still have things to add, that interest not just me but also others. And vice versa, for that matter.

35 minutes ago, Shelter said:

That's why you may think it's not there. 

Sometimes I think it's there. At the same time there's a bit of a suspicion though...that maybe it's not, kind of a colossal prank! Regardless...

36 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Sorry. Yes. I did. I found it absolitely brilliant.

Interesting. I will say that one particular episode was quite terrifying and riveting and if anyone is interested and hasn't seen it I suggest you stop reading now. I refer to the nuclear explosion episode, and whatever the heck it was, larger commentary about the evil unleashed by such weaponry, or just a nightmarish psychedelic display, or the slice of a life in the battle between Good and Evil or all of the above, it was definitely a unique television experience. What did you make of it? Well, I figure you loved it but still...

I think it's interesting that the original show ended in such a terribly bleak way; yet per the dialogue in the black lodge, things picked up, what, twenty-five years later or whatever. That's a crazy occurence in itself. But I thought it was a mistake to keep Cooper off for so long; I also felt the destruction of Bob was anticlimatic (though interestingly filmed). As for the rest of it, interesting visually, with a lot of menace and suspense and horror, even some joy but it's not really my thing. Though I can see why fans of Lynch enjoyed it. I don't know how many fans of the show did, I'm sure some did while others were disappointed and certainly, the whole thing from Cooper's escape/release from the Black Lodge to the blackout ending (connection of some sort there?) was far from predictable or even easy.

48 minutes ago, Shelter said:

The "3" really being beside the point. Aside from some obvious references to the old ground breaking series, the latest instalment is its own entity entirely! Pure genius.

I've read some peoples' theories as to what it all meant, some of which were interesting. I'm glad it was such a fulfilling experience for you and far from the norm.  Any more you'd like to comment on? 

cheers

32 minutes ago, Shelter said:

I may still have things to add, that interest not just me but also others.

I hope you do.

Regardless, as you know, not everything connects, I've posted many a topic that has few views or no comments and just shrug and move on. I'm not saying that's what you've experienced, just that I think there's an ebb and flow to a place like this; certainly it was full of energy with the announcement of American Treasure and once it's released and people hear it in context, the new songs, live tracks, well, I'm sure it will pick up.

Anyway, I sometimes step away for a while, come back fresh. And let's face it, being more involved in the world away from computer/phone/tablet screens is usually rewarding. 

cheers

^ Yeah, well.. I've been around TP boards (and others) long enough to know the score. Some 20 years in, that may be part of the problem.. haha! But thanks for the concern! The "world away", as you so poetically put it, is really my kind of place. Where I keep my focus, always.

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

Some 20 years in, that may be part of the problem.. haha! But thanks for the concern! The "world away", as you so poetically put it, is really my kind of place. Where I keep my focus, always.

Ha ha yeah, me too on the focus. You know, this is (even with 20 years under your belt) still new territory in terms of human interaction. What happens in ten years, more new fans cycle in? At some point I will have exhausted anything new I could say about TPATH. If one were to say I exhausted that two years ago I wouldn't argue :P

cheers

Just saw the Soundstage video yesterday, for the first time in years. Amazing stuff!! Yet so heartbreaking.. seeing some now dead friends on the screen. Both on and off stage, as it were..... very sad... to realize that there is so much death connected with my love for this band now..