Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

Mudcrutch - Song of the Day - Shady Grove

It's been a while since we did this at the Farm. I thought while we await the kickoff for the 2008 TP&TH tour, we could give our input on the Mudcrutch songs.

I think most of us have had the chance to listen to Mudcrutch's cd. So...now comes the fun part...let's discuss the songs. I will post one song per day. You can tell us what you love, like or dislike about the song. Let's all be adults about this...okay?

Here goes...SHADY GROVE.

I love this song. I remember when I first heard it, I was like...I have heard that song someplace else, it was driving me crazy! Then I remembered....The Andy Griffith Show! I am a HUGE fan and have DVDs of the series.

It's in a scene with The Darlins. The "boys" were the Dillards, a bluegrass group.

It's just one of those feel good, earworm songs for me, lol. I can't help but smile and get crazy after a while because I can't stop singing the song, hahaha.

What a great song to start off the cd with.

Great idea, Ref!

I loved this song the minute I heard it. I love every sound in it. The guitars, bass, piano and fabulous drums. They all swirl around each other and make this wonderful sound. I've played it and played and played it so all of those sounds replay in my head along with the vocals. Wonderful song!!

Ref, The Darlin's!! :045:

The first time I´ve heard that song I thought I´ve heard it before...and then I remembered hearing a song by Fairport Convention that used the same melody but different lyrics.... - sad lyrics so I don´t like that version...But I love the Mudcrutch-version!!!!:) It´s kind of an earworm.:003:

And when I was with AnotherBee a few weeks ago, we´ve played it on guitar and Bee found a harmonie voice and it sounded great!

but i find the lyrics limp

I understand what you're saying bout the lyrics, Christine. We're used to the top-notch lyrics from Tom Petty and this song can't compete with those. That said, I must say I LOVE the way Mudcrutch perfoms this song, and it really is a crowd-pleaser live, too. I think because it's upbeat and so easy to sing along to!

I understand what you're saying bout the lyrics, Christine. We're used to the top-notch lyrics from Tom Petty and this song can't compete with those. That said, I must say I LOVE the way Mudcrutch perfoms this song, and it really is a crowd-pleaser live, too. I think because it's upbeat and so easy to sing along to!

I bet its a different experience alltogether seeing it performed ,and I really wish i could get into it because i really want to , It`s just that i`m not used to it and have never heard anyone else play it so i can`t compare

I love the upbeat rhythm of the song. And the guitar-playing is magnificent. Well, all of the playing is magnificent!

(What the hell is an earworm??? Sounds gross! Reminds me of that scene in one of the Star Trek movies when that worm-thing came crawling out of Chekov's ear. :eek: )

I loved it right away, and I recognized it from the Andy Griffith show too Ref! lol

My Oma especially liked it because she said she used to sing that song with her mother when they lived in Oklahoma. I made a copy of the cd for her and she plays it all the time. Actually, I went to visit her yesterday and she was listening to "This is a Good Street" and she looked at me and went, "Sydney, I can't turn this album off! It's just so good!" :D

PB, you just mentioned how fun it is to dance to this song. it's the same with an older song tpath used to do that surprised me and many others in concert. it was "free girl now"!!!! it came over great in concert and everyone was up and dancing.