Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

Mudcrutch - Santa Barbara - 04/19/08

I have to go check into my room, but OMG! What a show!!!

I love Mike and Benmont!! :heart: Okay...I love the whole band, but wow oh wow, did these two men rip it up tonight!!!

Be back later! LOL! :003:

^ Amen! What a night! I just can't write a review - I have too many thoughts running through my head. They were something else, that's for sure!

They had such a great time - I couldn't help but smile the entire time! :)

That was one fantastic show last night. These guys are HOT! HOT! HOT! :045:

I've got to go eat something but I'll be back to write more later about the show. Oh, by the way, I think I'm totally in love with Tom Leadon, LOL! :003:

LOL, Sharon, you ARE a concert ho!

I just got home and I'm pooped, but last night was amazing. I turned to Marion at one point and said, "anyone who would call out for Free Fallin' is a (expletive) idiot." I love the HBs, but I was not for one second thinking of HBs songs or wishing they would play some. Mudcrutch has an identity all its own.

other than a couple mediocre numbers (Oh Maria, Queen of the Go-Go Girls), the songs were great. The Wrong Thing To Do seems to already be a crowd favorite, and I totally dug Topanga Cowgirl and Bootleg Flyer.

Tom Leadon can definitely hold his own on guitar next to Mike (who is still the number one guitar hero), and Randall Marsh is a solid drummer (he apparently lives in Ojai, and had a large cheering section in the theatre). Benmont was quite charming, and I loved seeing Tom P on bass -- he's a natural.

Barb and I left the others waiting in line at the Ventura Theatre (sure wish I could have stayed), and I'm sure they're in for another treat. it was such a blast to hang out with everybody, and so nice to meet Katie, Lizzy and the other ladies.

i dunno. great show but i was a little dissapponited that he didnt play depot street or up in mississippi. and what was up with no one smoking j's? seemed like blasphemy at a tom petty gig.

Are you kidding? It was flowing quite freely and thickly back in my section! I even saw people passing it around the crowd, like the old days. LOL

The show was fantastic. There were a couple of songs that were

just okay but for the most part they ripped it up and the crowd

(at least in my part of the theater) were digging it. "Scare Easy" "The Wrong Thing To Do" and "Rainy Day Women" were the top hits of the

night I think. Oh, and "Summertime Blues" rocked the roof right off the place! That Benmont was just on fire all night. And all the boys seemed to be just having so much fun.

It was a BLAST seeing you all again, and to meet a few new people, too.

(Athena and Gina & Katie, you can start the Tom Leadon fanclub - I'll start my own for Randall Marsh! :045:)

I just got home and I'm pooped, but last night was amazing. I turned to Marion at one point and said, "anyone who would call out for Free Fallin' is a (expletive) idiot."

LOL....well said!!!

I only have a couple of minutes to write something about the show.. Wow....it was just great! I'm so glad they're playing this music. We knew about the band's influences, it's soooo cool to see their beginnings in person. I can go on and on about Mike, Tom and Benmont. I'm always trilled by them. And Benmont's singing is such a sweet surprise. He must have had that in him a lot of years. I love all of the musical territory. The new guys are great! Randall rocks! Tom Leadon has a really great bluegrass voice, it goes so well with the songs. Like Gina says, his guitar work is right there with Mike's.

I have to say something about the Knobettes. Tom Leadon mentioned the Dirty Knobs in his intro to Mike, and there was a huge cheer. It was so cool! There was quite a Knobette presence in the audience. I enjoyed seeing old and new friends. You guys rock!

My one last thought is that they should keep "Bubbles" in the go-go girls story...LOL

I have a few dark, grainy photos that'll post if nothing better appears here in a fews days. They have better shots at the official site.

Totally AWESOME show!!! So glad I could be there. All of the guys were fantastic, but Benmont and Mike - WOW! Just WOW! Crystal River - absolutely AMAZING!!

Arlington Theater is lovely.

It was great to see everybody.

I want more!!!!

^ Yeah, the Knobbettes were heard loud and clear, LOL! Even Tom acknowledged that.

The show was great, the band played their ass off. Glad the first three rows in front of me decided to sit down, I had a clear view all night till the encore.

Hey all,

My wife and I went to SB to see MUDCRUTCH for our 9th anniversary. What an amazing show! We got our tix through Mike Campbells dog rescue charity, tazzyfund. Great tix, amazing show and a good cause.

I agree with the previous messages, Mike and Benmont were on fire. Tom was his usual, the coolest guy in the room. Loved the set. I have had a permanent smile on my face ever since. We can't wait for the Troubador (Thurs) show!

"anyone who would call out for Free Fallin' is a (expletive) idiot."

Ummm... okay. Well, as per my last message on another forum, I had agreed to jump no the bandwagon of Mudcrutch fans - - not that I ever objected in the first place, just wanted to hear different voices on the matter - - but now, I almost have to yell out Free Fallin' and hope that you and your honey will be there to call me a (expletive) idiot to my face! Good times! Why can't someone enjoy what they are seeing/doing without worrying about other people who aren't enjoying it on their level? Beats me - but who cares. Tom Petty rocks!! I'm there to see him and his buddies!!

Glad you liked the show - try liking it without hating on others and see how your life changes -

I know you’ve been asked this a million times since the tour’s been announced, but here’s a million and one: Any chance of hearing some Tom Petty songs at the show? Please?

MC: [Laughs.] Sorry. It’s true, there’ll be no Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers songs played — all Mudcrutch songs, but the band does do some cool covers.

BT: Even if we wanted to play some Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, songs we don’t have the time to learn ‘em!

Gotta love Benmont! LOL!