Sign in to follow this  
WreckMeBaby

Mudcrutch @ Troubadour - Any Tom Petty Songs?

Dude, I don't think we meant to attack you. This is a very friendly place and a great group of music fans.

But I don't think we are 'projecting' our own feelings, but rather what the band has basically already stated, when we jump up and down and scream "MUDCRUTCH IS NOT TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS!"

I have got to believe that this is a real concern - that some fans are not willing to give the reunion a chance to stand on its own merits, as a separate entity that just happens to have 3 Heartbreakers in it.

Its like that actor or actress that gets type-cast early in their career and has a hell of a time getting roles outside of that 'box.'

There are some incredible new songs on the Mudcrutch CD, and I (for one) clearly hear musical elements that trace back to Heartbreaker and Dirty Knobs DNA - yet not so much that the music fails to stand on its own.

I think the Mudcrutch CD and live performances contain plenty of merit and lots to love, without any need to 'run back home to mama' and those proven Heartbreakers hits.

Besides, as others have pointed out, there is a Heartbreakers tour this Summer, so we can all 'have our cake and eat it too!"

Its a wonderful time to be a music fan!

Peace

I can bring cake too!! LOL. I'm full of goodies... I'll be the happiest one there haha, shouting "Don't Back Down" (at the appropriate time, like when he walks onstage) or not! lol. J/k.

Yeah, knowing I'll see TPATH at the Bowl does make it all seem like cake - - - nice physodelic pharmacy grade cake... ahhhhhh, it is good to be alive folks.

I offer my love to those endowed with smaller bladders who must make a potty run during the show.

I even married a person who suffers from 'peanut bladder' syndrome. Sometimes when beginning road trips we cant even make it to the freeway before I hear the old refrain,

"Um, honey, I gotta pee."

It only took 5 or 6 years of marriage before I realized that in order to maximize the potential for domestic tranquility I needed to heed these pleas. Of course there were the 'wise-ass' years when requests such as these were invariably met with a detour through nearby parking lots with big-assed speed bumps, or the roughest pavement I could find.

Next time I see Linda, Im going to do a secret experiment. I'll play 'Its good to be king' at subliminal message volume levels and see if, like Pavlov's dogs, Linda has become so conditioned to making a potty run when the song is played that she suddenly has the urge to go. ;)

(running like hell)

This thread is funny. But the more I read it, it reminds of the prince and the pauper !! It is bizarre that Tom is playing like they are this band that isn't TP&HB, and they want to be a bar band, when so many bar bands want to be able to do "concerts".....I'd love to trade with him for a day LOL, but anyway, this is a little bit like when Paul McCartney wanted to go back to doing little clubs around the time of Get Back, and the others shot the idea down. And he eventually did do it with the early Wings. But just imagine if around that time John and Paul had put the Quarrymen back together. I think its cool, that Tom is saying, the world didn't take to us the first time, but there was something about that combination of musicians that hit its own groove and I would like to expose that now, especially since we have a better chance of being accepted. I hope he's given that chance. On the other hand, that review made me think, It didn't work then, and its not working now. LOL. You have to give the guys credit, especially the other 2 who haven't had that "BIG" exposure. They must be under alot of pressure. Has anyone else notice how Tom seems to get some of his idea's from the beatles ? I mean with doing this sort of thing, like I had mentioned Paul wanting to do. And also performing "the last DJ" Cd as a complete show, like the beatles were going to do with "let It Be" ? I wish I could see these shows and I hope theres a DVD.

Peace

Great comments Tim!

Personally, I think that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have always had the 'bar band' gene in their DNA, but perhaps it wasn't a dominant gene? Still, I think I can hear it in their music, some tracks more than others of course.

As for the pressure on Randall and Tom L, they were thriving on stage at Malibu.

I also wonder what it must be like for them. Forgive me for not knowing, but I suspect that it might have been a while since Randall or Tom L played in gigs like these, to audiences like these... It has got to be an adjustment if you have not done it in a while don't you think? Going on the road pretty grueling too!

But at one point in the Malibu gig, I saw Tom L look down at the front of the audience- The band was rocking and rolling and he was faced with a throng of cheering fans, including a good number of very lovely ladies who were were dancing and jumping -

Tom got this wonderful smile on his face....

Call me a nut but to me that smile said, "Hey, I remember this!"

And I also think it said, "Finally, I'm back home again."

You know they're having a great time. Tom likes to play it safe with the setlists when TPATH tours, but you KNOW he's got to be sick of playing those songs. This has got be a huge treat for him, Mike & Benmont.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have some cake and watch the Mets.

Hey Relic,

So glad you learned when to stop for the better half. When given the call to stop, my first husband would blaze through town and then pull off on some side road for my convience and comfort. He didn't want to have to buy a pack of gum of waste time. Did I tell you he is an ex?

Tell me about your pass on cameras at the Troubadour? I'm guessing by your being turned down for a camera pass that cameras are not allowed??? Or would that only be for those with enormously big lenses?

Hey, how do you know about my husband's enourmously big lenses? ;)

Back to the topic at hand...I wonder if this experience will inspire Tom to change his usual set list for the tour this year.

LMAO!!

Seems like after the tour with Dylan, everyone was excited about how Bob would shake it up instead of following a set list. I wonder if list is for them or for guitar techs to know which guitar to bring out next.

regarding the camera thing, you can't blame me for trying huh?

I politely requested permission to take some non-commercial photos at the event, they very politely turned me down, and I thanked them for their consideration.

I had a perfect seat and it might have worked out very nicely, but thats how it goes :)

As a joke I considered creating a slide show 'stick figure' re-enactment of the gig and uploading it to the TP BBS in lieu of photos, but just didn't have the time (or the guts!)

Had I not asked first, I probably could have gotten off a few shots before they asked me to stop, but once they made their wishes known, there is no way I was going to go make waves.

I would have liked to have had a chance to capture that moment when Benmont ran from behind his piano over to where Tom was standing, and teased him about what key the song was in. Mike was in on it too. You should have seen the smiles and laughter going on. EVERYONE was cutting it up. It was a priceless moment. Would have made a hell of a shot if I managed to catch it instead of standing there doubled over in laughter myself.

[edit: I don't know how to describe it exactly, but that slip-up just seemed to deflate all of the tension in the air. We were laughing most because of the release of tension I think, and the situation which just seemed preposterous! We were laughing WITH the band of course. I sure hope Tom realizes that! When they got it right on the 4th take, Mudcrutch was hitting on every cylinder and they were AMAZING. They were PERFECT. In that one moment, they passed through some kind of barrier - it happened like a stroke of lightning, and it blasted the tension to smithereens.

In this bizarre mixed-up wacko world, and in some unfathomable way this was a defining moment.

I think maybe its Destiny at work, correcting a blow-out in the time-line 35 years ago. ]

As a joke I considered creating a slide show 'stick figure' re-enactment of the gig and uploading it to the TP BBS in lieu of photos, but just didn't have the time (or the guts!)

LMAO!