Sign in to follow this  
WreckMeBaby

Mudcrutch @ Troubadour - Any Tom Petty Songs?

I can see a little of both points here. Would anyone want to see Mudcrutch, if Tom Petty and the guys never made it big ? But as a artist doesn't Tom deserve to have some "fun" with his career ? I think you should respect the artist's wish, especially since they have made it known this is not TP & the HB's, and save your requests for when you see them. Go to see Mudcrutch and enjoy the experience of the night.

well said, Tim.

I can see the point of what's-his-name who started this thread to some extent. it's NOT unreasonable to expect Tom Petty to play a Tom Petty song. but to demand it IS unreasonable and also disrespectful. frankly, I think it will be refreshing not to hear the same songs I've heard TPATH do 10,000 freaking times live.

I'll be the one yelling, "Freebird," which is just as appropriate to a Mudcrutch show as "Free Fallin;" i.e. not at all.

Zombie, LMAO!!!! :icon_laugh:

We're talking about a two person difference between the HB and Mudcrutch, lets not get ridiculous and pretend that it's not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers playing Mudcrutch songs. What's the difference?

There is QUITE a difference. Geez, if you want to hear TPATH songs, go to a TPATH show. How hard is that?

Nobody wants to hear Mudcrutch play just Mudcrutch (unless your die-hard physcopath that thinks that everything the artist you love or does is right and you blindly follow... hmm can you say blind religous faith being misplaced?). They want to hear Tom Petty. It's just a fact - life's too short - get over it!

I REST MY CASE?:

Tom Petty, Mudcrutch fail to impress

By Jim Harrington

MediaNews Staff

Article Launched: 04/15/2008 06:44:10 AM PDT

Mudcrutch is not just Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers by another name. It's more like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers minus all the really good songs.

Imagine going to a Heartbreakers show and having the band only play from "The Last DJ" or "Highway Companion" and you get a sense for what it was like to attend the Mudcrutch concert on Monday night at the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium. It'll likely be the same story when Petty's pre-Heartbreakers outfit, which he's recently resurrected from more than 30 years in the grave, performs Wednesday and Thursday at the Fillmore in San Francisco.

It's understandable, and even commendable, that Petty wants Mudcrutch to be its own entity, not just a cover band that plays Heartbreakers hits. If he's not going to play the fan favorites, though, he's got to give the crowd something else worthwhile in its place.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen in Santa Cruz. Petty played all 14 of the tracks from Mudcrutch's forthcoming eponymous debut, due in stores April 29, yet none of those selections was spectacular and very few were even memorable. Mudcrutch did toss in some fun cover songs — such as Dave Dudley's "Six Days on the Road" and Roger McGuinn's "Lover of the Bayou" — yet those renditions never rose above the basic bar-band level.

While the Heartbreakers always come across like a well-oiled machine, Mudcrutch definitely had some sludge in its engine as it opened the show with a version

of the old folk standard "Shady Grove" that never really came together. From there, the band — which also features Heartbreakers Mike Campbell on guitar and Benmont Tench on keyboards, as well as guitarist Tom Leadon and drummer Randall Marsh — mostly delivered the type of unremarkable country-rock that far too many Flying Burrito Brothers clones churned out in the '70s.

On the plus side, Petty was clearly enjoying the reunion and that translated into one of his more personable performances. Also, some of the new Mudcrutch lyrics — such as the great line from "Scare Easy," "Yeah, I'm a loser at the top of my game" — rank among the best that Petty has penned in years.

Yet, those elements couldn't compensate for the fact that this band just didn't gel all that well or that the crowd was forced to hear Leadon sing the dreadful "Queen of the Go Go Dancers." Thus, what the audience was left with was the novelty factor. It was novel to get the chance to see Petty's pre-Heartbreakers band, which lasted from 1970 to 1975 and only released one single. It was novel to hear Petty play bass, instead of his regular guitar. And it was novel for fans to finally meet Petty's old buddies Leadon and Marsh.

In the end, however, those novelties weren't enough.

Reach Jim Harrington at jharrington@bayareanewsgroup.com. Read his Concert Blog at www.ibabuzz.com/concerts.

Mudcrutch in concert

When: 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday

Where: The Fillmore, 1805 Geary Blvd., San Francisco

Tickets: $55, 415-346-6000

Okay here's the deal; I could listen to Petty play all day. Don't care what it is. He's inspiring and genuine, I like that. But the fact remains it would be EVEN BETTER if he were to play one of the songs we know and love from him. It seems far more gimicky to have this separate band playing songs nobody knows - - I'm in no way dissing what he's trying to do; But it could be a better experience. BTW, I'm sure these two guys have been itching to get their hands on a Heartbreakers song for three decades, give it to them - give it to the crowd -

For the haters saying there's going to be a throw-down at Troubadour over shouting at songs - come on. It's a concert, I'll do whatever I want with no insult to anyone. Being excited and screaming out what comes to your mind is a genuine experience, and I won't back down. If you can't handle different people enjoying things on different levels and wanting different things - then keep listening to Tom Petty until you get it - - life's about accepting everyone, all ideas and opinions, even those that aren't like your own! I doubt that I would hurt anyone's feelings, and if I did, that would be their trip not mine since it's not the intention - - the only intention is to get him to play a good freakin' song.

Mudcrutch use to play American Girl and Breakdown, why the heck can't they play that in concert? It feels more like a charity benefit on behalf of the two previous excluded members, leaving them probably feeling even more 'in the dark' on the experience than before they were plucked from obscurity. I think it's all gravy, let them play whatever they want!! I will say and do whatever I want and you know what - everyone will have as good a time as they let themselves!

If he plays 6 shows at the Troubadour and they are all massive failures because they're banging out material that is tired and unispiring - then the mistake was not to beef it up with some electric performances of these guys playing the songs they started out with - hopefully Petty will give in to the demand for better performances from Mudcrutch and accept that his celebrity is bigger than any pet project he can put together and hope to take for a ride. We all watched 'Runnin' Down a Dream' - how can we not expect to hear the songs that made him who he is? That made the rest of the band who they are?

Like I said - he'll play Tom Petty songs at the Troubadour - you can write it down, it's going to happen. ;-0

I think there are a large group of fans that have seen so many TPATH shows that we are STARVING to see anything off the map but by the same general group of guys. Mudcrutch is that opportunity.

There are some TPATH songs that would indeed make sense at a Mudcrutch show.. but we know those songs and have already seen them live.

sounds like WMB and J Harrington are the same person. get a life and go see who you want. if no one reads your articles in the newspaper, "don't come round here no more". you're obviousely someone trying to find your way through life and make a name for yourself, and it's not gonna work here. you've posted 6 times, and still don't get it. this is a tom petty and the heartbreakers site!! it's not a place for you to vent your frustrations or dislike of the band. btw, i would imagine you are a member of the official tom petty site, and therefore i can see your madness, just don't take it over here. btw again, welcome to the farm.

IF IT'S A TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS SITE, THEN WHY AM I BEING VILLIANIZED WANTING TO HEAR HIM PLAY A GOD DAMN TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS SONG!!!!!!!

I can say whatever I want, I love Tom Petty. I love a lot of people, that doesn't stop me from pointing out what I do not like - - come on. 1) Don't take it personal. 2) Get some maturity and don't take cheap shots at me because I can type and put my thoughts down in an expressive way you can understand (even if you don't like it!). 3) I have no intentions of making a name for myself on a website that probably has at most about 10,000 hits and is comprised of people like me, who like Tom Petty. 4) I haven't seen TPATH more than once, at Randalls Island in NYC. I would love to hear more TPATH - but lets face it, they are aging and won't tour forever, it's my desire to hear more TPATH even if it means seeing half the Heartbreakers and Tom Petty playing as Mudcrutch - - but again, I would like to hear Mudcrutch play songs they use to play back in the day - - not a new album that I don't know as well (I really like the six tracks I have!).

I'm down to take all your insults and grandstanding. It's cool for me. I just posted a quick thought on here and have become interested in how it plays out - - other peoples thoughts and ideas. In case you've noticed, I'm less concerned with getting people to side with me and more concerned with expressing my feelings on the issue. I'm right, and your right - to quote Obama, you can disagree without being disagreeable. Why don't you give it a shot and give me a reason to blindly caress these 14 songs I'm going to hear 3x when I would be SO HAPPY to hear just one song, "I Won't Back Down," or "It's Good to be King." I mean, I paid the money to see the guy, going to see him 4x in a month - - nobody should be questioning my sincerity and appreciation towards Tom Petty (and Mudcrutch or Heartbreakers).

Keep it real yo - thanks for welcoming me to the farm. Looks like I'm going to be sticking around!

Travis

^ It's Good To Be King???? :095:

Okay, now you have just crossed the line, LOL!

Before you get your panties in a twist, it's because I can't stand the song.

Okay...Travis...now you know that Mudcrutch is NOT going to play any TP&TH songs, you have posted your dismay, it's not going to change anything, so let's talk about something else.

Do you like baseball? Who's your team?

"It's Good to be King" is such a trip live - it's so simple yet becomes so distant and resonates with me - - I love that song. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM NOW!? Did I quote that I liked a song that is not the premier TPATH song or something? Should I get some nails and go grab me a cross now or should I wait until I really screw up and say something like you all act like Stevie Nicks, blindly following Tom Petty like a school girl with her eyes gleaming open and in need of constant validation that never seems to materialize... ;-0

It's good to be king, and have your own way, get a feeling of peace at the end of the day. It's good to get high, and never come down, it's good to be king, of your own little town.

LOL! You crack me up. There's no problem, I just said I don't like It's Good To Be King, like you stated you want TP&TH songs at a Mudcrutch concert. To each their own, right?

Wow, I guess your panties or tighties whities are twisted too tight.

Back to baseball...you pulling for any particular team?

"It's Good to be King" is such a trip live - it's so simple yet becomes so distant and resonates with me - - I love that song. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM NOW!? Did I quote that I liked a song that is not the premier TPATH song or something? Should I get some nails and go grab me a cross now or should I wait until I really screw up and say something like you all act like Stevie Nicks, blindly following Tom Petty like a school girl with her eyes gleaming open and in need of constant validation that never seems to materialize... ;-0

Shhhhhhhhhhhht!

LOL LOL!!!

I don't do baseball, I dig music. I eat it, breathe it, screw it, play it, listen to it and yeah, write about it (on Mudcrutch.com, it's new, but I'm starting to like it a lot).

He'll play some cool stuff at the Troubadour - - but looks like I need to be really high for this one now - - anyone wants a fun lolipop see me at the show!