Sign in to follow this  
WreckMeBaby

Mudcrutch @ Troubadour - Any Tom Petty Songs?

I see for the Malibu setlist that they didn't play any Petty songs... do you think this will be true for all of the shows? I would love if he'd play "I Won't Back Down" or "Runnin' Down a Dream" and am actually surprised that he didn't play anything. I know Mudcrutch is it's own band, but hey, who better to cover Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers than Tom Petty and three two of the Heartbreakers!

Thoughts?

I'm going to the Saturday show, the Tuesday 29th show and the Friday May 2nd show at the Troubadour. I'm thinking those shows will be different as they are the last of the tour and a historic setting...

Anybody else hoping he plays Petty songs, or is that just asking too much?

^ I don't mean to offend you, but why would you go see Mudcrutch hoping for TP&TH songs?

Anyways...this is a tidbit from an recent article.

Although three-fifths of Mudcrutch are Heartbreakers, both Campbell and Tench emphasize that Mudcrutch is its own entity, with a distinct rhythmic feel and a pronounced country influence - thanks in large part to the presence of Leadon, brother of Bernie Leadon of Eagles fame. The band won't be playing any Heartbreakers material on tour - not even songs like "Don't Do Me Like That" that started as Mudcrutch tunes. The guys will be focused on the 14 songs from the album - including eight new Petty songs - and a few choice covers. (Campbell says they're having fun with an old Stones tune and Jerry Lee Lewis' "High School Confidential.")

I think that answers your question.

Ummm, yeah I would go to see Mudcrutch hoping to hear a Tom Petty song because, umm, yeah - it's Tom Petty. The guy has a 35 year career and he's going to play songs from one album that nobody knows - cool - but I along with many people would like to hear Mudcrutch play Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers songs. We're talking about a two person difference between the HB and Mudcrutch, lets not get ridiculous and pretend that it's not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers playing Mudcrutch songs. What's the difference?

Okay - so I read the article you attached. Fine, he doesn't want to play Tom Petty songs - whatever - I think it's a gnarly idea not playing any TPATH songs, but whatever. Mudcrutch is 'okay' but seems quickly thrown together and probably just a way to warm everyone up before the TPATH tour - - which is always amazing. I value the creative decisions placed behind soley putting every effort into Mudcrutch for this short tour, but undoubtedly people want to hear songs from Petty's catalouge. I do. I'm no ashamed of it - it's reasonable to want to hear Tom Petty play Tom Petty. When Paul McCartney goes on tour, he plays Beatles songs. When Stevie Nicks goes on tour she plays Fleetwood Mac songs. When the Artist Formally Known as Prince goes on tour, he plays Prince songs. Haha.

Well I'll be the butthole screaming "I Won't Back Down" at the Troubadour, shameless and insistent - THEY'RE RIGHT THERE! Just put your little fingers on the EM chord and lets get it started - so easy. I mean come on Tom Petty, it's 3 minutes and at your disposal -- just play the songs we love to hear.

^ I see Mike Campbell with his band, The Dirty Knobs, believe me, I never expect or want to hear TP&TH songs, and I'm very glad he doesn't play them. It's nice to see these men playing something other than the same old songs.

But...that's just me. :)

This reminds me of a guy I was talking to at the Malibu show who had the attitude that with all the money he spent he "deserved" to have them play TPATH songs. I explained to him the band is Mudcrutch, not TPATH.

I agree with Starfish. It would be rude to yell out for TPATH songs. Please don't ruin the experience for the rest of us.

I don't understand how someone yelling a Tom Petty song at Tom Petty could possibly ruin anybody's concert going experience... but we'll have to find out if it does!

I do have tickets to TPATH fyi - and at that show I expect I'll be screaming "Scare Easy" now, just to prove a point.

I'm entitled to my opinion, I can't sell my tickets fool as you have to show up at the door with your ID and credit card. Not to mention I deserve to go as much or more than anyone else - Troubadour is walking distance from my place. That alone merits screaming for the song I want. It's my neighborhood! lol.

Originally this started as a question, but now I feel forced to take a position on this - enhance the experience for everyone and include some TPATH songs on the setlist. Any new band from Gainesville, FL that was deemed "Southern Rockers" would probably cover a Tom Petty song in their set anyways - - BUT THIS BAND INCLUDES TOM PETTY - SO, LIKE DUH!

^ Very well said ladies! How rude and disrespectful.

Okay, I'm sorry, what IS wrong with people? I swear, if I hear one idiot in the crowd around me say..."When are they going to play Freefallin' or Runnin' Down A Dream?" I'm gonna lose it.

AND, how refreshing and COOL was it to see Benmont doing something totally different from the Heartbreakers at Largo's?

Lets not get ridiculous and pretend that it's not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers playing Mudcrutch songs. What's the difference? :eek:

Ok, if you have ALL the band members from both on the stage at one time, which would be quite interesting from a drum perspective, dueling basses etc., then I can see the songs being interchanged. But it's NOT the Heartbreakers without the full band, just like it wouldn't be Mudcrutch without TomL and Randall.

To suggest otherwise is disrepectful to both bands.

I hear ya!! How dare they not cover Tom Petty songs!! Who do they think they are.. a completely different band? I shouldn't have to wait a month or two to hear a Petty song live. I went to a Foo Fighters concert once and screamed for 45 minutes straight but they REFUSED to play Nirvana!! What a bunch of dicks! I was PISSED when I bought the re-released Traveling Wilburys set and there wasn't one Beatles song on it! What a load of crap! Not even Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison. I threw it out immediately.

Zombie Zookeeper has the best response so far - I threw out my Traveling Wilbury CD when I realized that Bob Dylan was really named Robert Zimmerman, I mean come on Sybill, whom am I actually listening to?

Petty is Mudcrutch. Petty is Petty. Petty is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Petty is not going to play "I Won't Back Down" at the Troubadour, except when he gives in to my constant chat between songs, "Won't Back Down! Won't Back Down! Won't Back Down!" Then he will, cause he's gravy like that. I didn't know there were so many rules and moral lines in rock-n-roll, I thought I'd eat a few shrooms and go down the street to see Tom Petty? Wtf is wrong with me that I was so off? Geeze, guess rock-n-rolls as corporate as Wal-Mart these days, I always saw Tom Petty as a person and if this person can do something I want them to do I am going to ask. That simple. Guess I was wrong. I guess I should respect that he is not Tom Petty the person, but Tom Petty the member of the bad Mudcrutch and then when I see him again at the bowl he'll be Tom Petty with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - geeze, I better write all this down so I don't mix it up! How embarrassing it would be for me to confuse Tom Petty of Mudcrutch with Tom Petty of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers! That'd be ultra foolish! I'd be laughed out of the Troubadour for coming up with something so ridiculous.

Good news is - his show at Troubadour will be different - - he'll play some TPATH songs, cuz he's not regulated by the Bands Must Play Only Bands Own Material Even If Band Members Are Ultra Famous Musicians With A 30 Year Catalog To Choose From law.

"Well you can't turn him in to a company man, no you can't turn him into a whore."

Two questions:

1. How do you think the original Mudcrutch members feel if you yell out for Tom Petty songs?

2. Mike himself said it is great to be playing non-tpath stuff. Why doesn't the band get a say in what they play?

and finally -- they are doing a HUGE TPATH TOUR. go to the shows this summer.

Dude, you can't be serious. Don't be a drag. That's heckling as far as I'm concerned. Even if you don't mean it to come across that way the band will interpret it as such.

I'm there to see Mudcrutch...there'll be plenty of opportunity to hear the hits during the TPATH tour.

I hear ya!! How dare they not cover Tom Petty songs!! Who do they think they are.. a completely different band? I shouldn't have to wait a month or two to hear a Petty song live. I went to a Foo Fighters concert once and screamed for 45 minutes straight but they REFUSED to play Nirvana!! What a bunch of dicks! I was PISSED when I bought the re-released Traveling Wilburys set and there wasn't one Beatles song on it! What a load of crap! Not even Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison. I threw it out immediately.

:081::043::082: Well said!

I can see a little of both points here. Would anyone want to see Mudcrutch, if Tom Petty and the guys never made it big ? But as a artist doesn't Tom deserve to have some "fun" with his career ? I think you should respect the artist's wish, especially since they have made it known this is not TP & the HB's, and save your requests for when you see them. Go to see Mudcrutch and enjoy the experience of the night.