Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

The Dirty Knobs with Black Unicorn at the Imperial Ballroom 01/19/08

OMG! What a night of fricking awesome music!

What an honor it was to be a guest of the Knobs and Duesenberg USA Guitars to see these two great bands play.

Black Unicorn started the night. Brian Ray and his band got the ballroom rocking. Songs like Vinyl, Soft Machine, I Liked You Better, Goin' Down Swingin', Anywhere But Here shows what a kick ass band this is. The DKs very own Swampfox joined Black Unicorn playing away on drums, and as always, he was fantastic! Also joining Brian onstage was Rusty Anderson, dork here, I can't remember the other band member. Sorry!

From my perch, I saw alot of happy people rocking out to Brian's music. He shared a very nice story about his late sister, Jean. She once dated someone that Brian thought twice about, lol. Turns out this man wrote a wonderful song about his sister, you might know it as Cinnamon Girl. Damn! They jammed out to that song! Neil would be proud.

After a few minutes of setting the stage, the Dirty Knobs took front and center. As always, they just blew me away. That Duesenberg and Rickenbacker got a workout Saturday night.

They played (in no particular order) - Blow Up My Stereo, a personal favorite. Bride of Frankenstein, Wah Wah, Working Class Hero, Surf Medley, Humdinger, Shake These Blues, She Said, Never Gonna Own Me, and a few others that I can't think of, I'm tired, lol. They had a great all star lineup for Guitar Boogie Shuffle with Peter Stroud and Brian Ray joining the Knobs. They stayed and played Hey Joe, too. I can't even find the right words to describe what we were watching. All that talent on stage....mind blowing. I loved watching Gator leading the "orchestra" of guitars.

DannyMac! You got the setlist, share with us!

On top of all the fantastic music, it was great fun seeing so many friends again....old and new. I can't thank you all enough for making this night SOOO special.

Mike, Jason, Lance and Matt....THANK YOU for everything! :heart:

I was fortunate enough to get to go to the show for a short time. I had the crazy idea that I could fly in, watch the show and then catch the red-eye home so I could be back home for a previous commitment on Sunday afternoon. My plan was flawed though and I had to leave to catch my flight midway through one of the most fantastic shows I ever saw. Our guys were burning it up! Sob!!!

First off, the new song, Never Gonna Own me is quickly becoming one of my favorites and it is so stuck in my head! LOL! That one should be on the radio!

Here are a couple of my pictures taken from my perch beside Ref. They aren't the greatest by you'll get the idea. I'm sure others will have better shots. You can't see him in these pics but Phil Jones was playing percussion.

DSC01756.JPG

DSC01755.JPG

DSC01763.JPG

It was a nice crowd. Rock and roll musicians everywhere! I couldn't place a lot of them though.

Peter Stroud kindly stopped by and said hello. He's such a nice guy. I knew he was with Sheryl Crow I just found out he was with Pete Droge and the Sinners, one of my favorite bands.

Brian Ray's band put on a great show too. I really enjoyed them. Brian's got some great songs and that cover of Cinnamon Girl was fantastic! What a great story. haha!

Thanks Dirty Knobs for rockin' my world!! Can't wait to see you again.

Marion, I love the pictures!!! Thank you for those...

I, too, was fortunate enough to be at this show. Last minute flying in and then out. I will write a little review later...I am playing catch up here with things.

Awesome night!!!!! Dirty Knobs, you always rock my world and I can't wait to see you all again!!

I made it to this show, too. What a wonderful night! Brian Ray's band was very enjoyable, and of course the Knobs were, too.

A favorite moment was Mike's stalling tactic when some minor technical difficulties surfaced early in the show: "So what's wrong with Axl Rose anyway? Discuss." :icon_laugh:

What a GREAT show! I was blown away not only with the Knobs but also with Brian Ray and his band. Going to need to pick up his CD on iTunes. So nice to see Pete Stroud again. All of them on stage at one time...it was incredible!!!

Thank you to the Knobs for again being gracious to us adoring fans. LOL You guys are amazing!

A great night and a great show spent with great friends! :045:

Here's another happy camper who made it to the show. And I couldn't agree more to what already has been said. I think this was the best I have ever heard the Knobs. I was (stinll am) in awe :) Like everyone else I totally enjoyed Brian Ray and his bad too. Nice guy Brian Ray, too. Very sweet. Off to buy his CD!!

Photos, yep, got some. took 100 maybe 3 came out good.... But two are pretty much awesome...........of Mike, of course.

God I love this band!!!!!

A favorite moment was Mike's stalling tactic when some minor technical difficulties surfaced early in the show: "So what's wrong with Axl Rose anyway? Discuss." :icon_laugh:

OMG Toni, that was hilarious!

I can't say any more than has already been stated - the show freaking'

ROCKED!!!! And how much fun to see it with some of my favorite people

in the world. Danny Mac, watching your face light up with your first "Knobbing" was just icing on the cake.

Thank you Knobs for another wonderful night!

amazing show -- Mike was a comedian a few times, lol. never heard them play so much Beatles before and I LOVED it. I woke up this morning with a real scratchy throat -- probably from all my WOO HOOing at the show!

wonderful to see so many great old friends and meet some new ones, too!

I knew Matt was fast - he is but a blur when he explodes on those drums, but when he got goosed by Mike while adjusting his drum kit Matt went into warp speed! LOL. I saw Mike give Chinner the same treatment once upon a time at Vinny's. So to anyone who has the courage to get up on stage with these guys, all I can say is watch out! ;)

It was a fantastic event and I am once again so proud to see great musicians like these cutting it up in Fullerton.

At one point, I thought I was seeing three of everything - Mike and Jason were playing identical blue and white Duesenberg's - and guess what? Lance was playing a blue and white Duesenberg bass too!

The entire evening was truly stunning, but what sent me into orbit was how Mike acted as conductor during 'Hey Joe' when Peter and Brian joined the Knobs on stage, and each would play a solo when Mike pointed at them.

Brian, then Peter, than Jason, then Lance, then...... Round and Round it went. Monster solos by everyone!

Special thanks for all the sponsors who threw in to make this gig possible, and of course to the stars of this event - those wonderful musicians who's music we adore so much!

(Seems like everyone had a camera in there besides me. Did my best to get permission but it didn't work out. Thankfully others have posted some images and now everyone can see a little of what it was like inside the Imperial Ballroom in Fullerton on Saturday night.)

Peace

wow, what a show. i'm so glad i went to this show the last minute. i've seen brian ray many times before when he plays with paul mccartney, but this is the 1st time i've seen him do his own music. i was really great, i'm gonna have to get his cd. the knobs, well what can i say, they are the knobs. they just amaze me everytime i see them. after a shakey opening (tech difficulties before the 1st song with the mic in matts bass drum causing a hum) mike said 'that's our 1st song, "soundcheck at the imperial ballroom" '....lol. the band sounded great and mikes voice never sounded better, they were having so much fun. they played alot of beatle songs that just blew me away and made me think back in time when all kids were trying to start a band and play beatle songs. and now 40 years later the knobs were doing it again! i'd like to get the set list to this show, but i'm not sure if it's true to the setlist mike had on the floor that danny got. about 1/3rd through the show, mike bent over grabbed the set list, crumpled it up and threw it backstage....lol. after the show we went back to meet everyone and get autographs and pix. it was great, they were all so nice. i told mike and jason to try to work an instrumental song into the show called 'becks bolero' by jeff beck and written by jimmy page. jason asked what album it was on and said he would buy it and mike said they'll try to work it in. jason seemed to be excited about trading off lead guitar parts on it with mike. jason also told me about the home recording studio he's building and all that techie stuff and i mentioned i have a small Boss 1600 studio to fool around with. he said you can do some pretty amazing stuff on those little studios too. next i talked to matt and lance awhile about drums and bass guitars. i talked to brian awhile and told him i saw him perform with paul mcartney and we talked about that for awhile and he said he'll be going to london next month to rehearse with paul for an awards show. by that time jason came over to talk to me and brian and i mentioned to jason that i caught the mistake on a beatle song they did, where mike started singing the 1st line of the 1st verse and jason started singing the 1st line or the 2nd verse at the same time and mike looked funny at him. jason said "you caught that!! my god, i didn't think anyone would notice". then he said "we fuck up all the time" and we all got a laugh out of that. then brian or jason asked me where in the hell did you get a name like nurktwin and i explained it to them. they both said "wow, i never heard that story". brian said he was gonna mention it to paul next month. by this time mike was ready to leave and i shook his hand again and thanked him for all the wonderful music. the band just can't get over how we all come together from all over the country for 24 hours just to see them. i think they are amazed at us just as we are of them. lance was ready to leave, but said he couldn't find his guitar!! so i told him it was behind the couch....lol. as we all headed downstairs to leave the building, brian was near the exit and as i walked by he said "hey benny, it was nice to meet you, hope to see you again", we shook hands and all i could think of was wow, he remembered my name! it was a night i'll never forget, and sharing it with so many friends is beyond words. i'll check my pix out today, hopefully they came out good and i can post some of them. til next time rock on and thank you dirty knobs.

Ah, nurk, you reminded me!

100% completely agree with you about the vocals.

Frankly I don't believe that I have ever heard them sing better than on Saturday night. The harmonies produced by Mike and Jason were like nothing I have never heard before from this band. It was great hearing Matt sing too - that guy has a great voice and I hope he gets more microphone time!!!!

Wow! What an amazing show! I've seen the Knobs so many times but I must say this was one of THE BEST shows EVER! :045:

I thoroughly enjoyed Brian Ray. This was my second time seeing him and his band and they did not disappoint. I'd forgotten how much I like them. I LOVED his Cinammon Girl story and man, did they jam out on that song. The crowd was so into it. I'm going to have to pull out his cd and give it a listen today. What a nice man too. I saw him signing autographs for these young kids and he spent time talking to them. He was so sweet.

Next up, The Dirty Knobs. I totally agree with you all. The vocals were awesome and they seemed to have really taken it up a notch since I last saw them play. I LOVE that song Never Gonna Own Me. It was also good to hear Blow Up My Stereo again. And I couldn't help but think of Anna during Bride of Frankenstein, which just rocked! Oh, and how about that cleaned up version of Humdinger, lol. You know it's so hard for me to watch the two of them playing guitar because I'm always torn between watching Mike or Jason, who is also an amazing guitar player. Mike was hilarious! He was just joking around a lot and kept the audience entertained. He has become so much more comfortable in his frontman skin. It's so good to see him that way. I loved the part where he directed the solo's. That was so cool. And as for his musical better half, Jason. He was in rare form Saturday night. Man, can he play and sing like nobodies business. There's just so many things about that night, I could go on and on.

Oh yeah, it was Soooooo good to see everyone. As always, the night would not mean nearly as much to me if it weren't for you all making it so special.

Great friends, Roscoe's and Knobs! How can you top that? :003: