Jackboy1970

Confusion wheel

I've just been deconstructing the song a bit, and making a chart for guitar (HINT: capo on 3).  I'm starting to like it a lot.  I can kind of hear "To Find A Friend" in a couple places.  We already saw that in the "Wildflowers" home demo.  All of these songs and chord phrases were swirling around in his brain and they came out in different forms at different times.   

I really like the vocal in the "we'll wake up singing a brand new song" lines with the harmonies.  Very nice stuff.  And the solo bit has an interesting sound.  This song is worthy.   

12 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

What don't you like about it? I'm not sure how I feel about it other than disappointment at another slow number, though since it's connected to WF I have only myself to blame for expecting something different...!

cheers

I just find it boring and draggy. Just my opinion of course.

Confusion Wheel is my favorite song so far. Its spare somber lines epitomize Tom’s mood and style during the Wildflowers project, and like most everything Tom wrote, it is universally applicable to anyone and everyone—perfect for these times or any time.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I just find it boring and draggy.

It kinda grew on me but I understand boring and draggy. Parts of it sound like something else too. I'm still not sure if I like it or just enjoy hearing something fresh.

14 hours ago, TomFest said:

I can kind of hear "To Find A Friend" in a couple places.  We already saw that in the "Wildflowers" home demo.  All of these songs and chord phrases were swirling around in his brain and they came out in different forms at different times.   

Good point, that all makes sense.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Just my opinion of course.

Do you like WF the album? What are your favorite TPATH albums? I was never a big WF fan though there are songs I like on it and it is one of the best sounding records they ever did. 

cheers

cheers

Confusion Wheel is the second track alongside Somewhere Under Heaven from the All The Rest Archive. Both songs are not necessarily my favorite Tom songs. If the other songs on All The Rest are of similar quality, then I almost have to agree with Jay, saying that he knows why the songs didn't find their way onto the album. Even though Tom planned to release everything as a double album at the time.

1 hour ago, livin´thing68 said:

then I almost have to agree with Jay, saying that he knows why the songs didn't find their way onto the album. Even though Tom planned to release everything as a double album at the time.

It'll be interesting to see; if most of ATR (or all of it) is like what we've heard so far, it really makes YWM and Honey Bee as the outliers and WF, as a double album as maybe one big definitive statement of sadness and longing mixed with just a pinch of hope and fulfilled love. Who knows...well...I guess we all will time, eh?

cheers

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

It kinda grew on me but I understand boring and draggy. Parts of it sound like something else too. I'm still not sure if I like it or just enjoy hearing something fresh.

Good point, that all makes sense.

Do you like WF the album? What are your favorite TPATH albums? I was never a big WF fan though there are songs I like on it and it is one of the best sounding records they ever did. 

cheers

cheers

I'm not a fan of Wildflowers but do like, "Higher place" and a couple of other tracks.

The 3 TPATH albums I would take to a desert island, would be, Hard promises, Long after dark and Let Me up (I've had enough), yep that's right Let Me up (I've had enough).

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hard promises, Long after dark and Let Me up (I've had enough), yep that's right Let Me up (I've had enough).

Bold choice indeed! Who knows, maybe one day they'll be more unreleased tracks from that era of the band as well. Long After Dark is in my top five TPATH records, just a really fun album, good songs, a mix of sadness, hope and energy.

cheers

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Bold choice indeed! Who knows, maybe one day they'll be more unreleased tracks from that era of the band as well. Long After Dark is in my top five TPATH records, just a really fun album, good songs, a mix of sadness, hope and energy.

cheers

I would love to hear unreleased stuff from these albums.

Hmmmm, off topic, but, I can"t find  a more suitable spot to ask, What happened here?  I feel like I just got home from a long trip , opened my front door, and found half of my stuff missing.

4 hours ago, Nel said:

Hmmmm, off topic, but, I can"t find  a more suitable spot to ask, What happened here?  I feel like I just got home from a long trip , opened my front door, and found half of my stuff missing.

Mudcrutch held a yard sale; you should've seen the money Ryan got for The Waiting; the Dirty Knobs sub forum earned a decent amount of cash as well.

cheers

18 hours ago, Nel said:

the site was set to close down at the end of July or so, when we discovered All the Rest was coming out as well as Reckless Abandon it seems Ryan had a change of heart and kept things open in reduced form. As yet he has not said how long we are operating like this before things go dark...  

I was hoping the official Tom Petty forum - which is now open for all with no subscription fees - would pick up the flag and run with it, but I'm just not seeing that.  Nothing happening there.  Everything from the "Tom Petty camp" goes to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and I don't see that changing. 

The Steve Hoffman Forum also gets direct input from Ryan Ulyate (TP producer), but the TP Forum seems like just an afterthought.  The only thing I see there are announcements for the schedule on Tom Petty Radio on Sirius XM.  And I'm not a subscriber.