Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Do people in your life listen to TPATH?

Aside from some family that like the greatest hits and a few other songs I introduced to them, no. One friend owns GH and thinks it's pretty good. Other friends were surprised this place exists and don't really like TPATH.

What's it like for you? Do people in your life enjoy them? Get sick of you playing them or talking about them?

Are you married to an equal TPATH fan?

And that's it.

cheers

Never really discussed TPATH with them. They like his music, but we just don't talk about it. It's sort of like the TPATH community (us) is a private family and no one else is allowed in. It's worked for more than 40 years, so why stop now?

Yes and no. I have one friend, Charly, who is a huge fan. We talk and text about Tom a lot. He listens to TP Radio all the time (along with the Beatles station). He's in a little bar band and he plays TPATH covers all the time. I'll send him a "deep cut video of the day" for fun. I have a few other friends who dig TPATH music, but not as much as me. Mostly the Greatest Hits variety.

When Tom passed away in 2017, my brother, who isn't a big fan (doesn't own any albums, but doesn't have anything against him either), said this to me: "You know, Tom Petty, he's not in anyone's Top 3, but he's in everyone's Top 10." I laughed, because he is in fact in my top 3, but I got what he meant by the comment. Everyone loved Tom Petty. Everyone thought he was cool. Everyone thought he rocked.

I feel that most anyone and everyone liked him, certainly no one hated him, or had a strong reaction against his music. I mean, how many people have you ever heard say, "Man, that Tom Petty, I CAN'T STAND HIM...AND HIS MUSIC SUCKS." None here. Never heard it. He was just a likeable guy all around, you had no problem with him, and his songs were impossible not to enjoy in some way or another.

It seemed that all over the internet, with articles, blogs, and comments on YT videos from regular people, that Tom's passing was a big deal. Even if people weren't huge fans, I think that many people realized the absolute loss to the music world, and the world at large. In a good way, Tom and his music were like wallpaper in their lives–always there, always dependable, quietly and consistently providing joy through several decades. Even if you weren't always aware of it. And it made you incredibly sad to realize that his presence was gone.

Most everyone in my close circle of family and friends are Tom Petty fans. In some cases, I dragged them there myself, my band included. And not just the greatest hits. You should see the CD playlists I've made for some of them.  Filled with deep tracks. I've also been to Tom Petty shows with most of them over the years. 

I do know people (from other forums, and one actual human that I know) that can't stand Tom Petty. For some it's the nasally voice. For others, they see him as appealing only to women. I kind of get both of those arguments, although I don't necessarily agree with them.

I've had a few comments from people like "how come you like him then" and "is that the skinny bloke with the big teeth".

Also "never see his songs in the charts" "didn't he do that annoying song with the mad hatter video"

"never heard of him"

Carry on being ignorant 😀

Sort of. I grew up listening to classic rock, but neither of my parents owned Tom Petty albums or saw him live or anything like that. My 'grandma' (not related to me, old babysitter, now bff) likes TPATH music and I took her to a show with me. She wished she had known about them earlier so she could have been going to shows. 

That's about it. 

Almost everybody I know listens to, and loves the band, and not just the hits.  Driving the Pacific Coast Highway in the summer with TPATHB blasting in the car is one of my favorite memories.  I should do that again.

Whether it's with family or friends, we always went to shows together, it became a huge event for us.  At the very last Hollywood Bowl show, we arrived long before the gates opened and were one of the first into the seating area when it opened.  For some reason before the show began, I told myself to take it all in, to look around and commit the sights and sounds to memory.  Here we are, nearly 3 years later, and I can still hear the crickets chirping in the background as Tom introduced the band.

I feel very fortunate to have spent my life around people with very similar musical interests to mine.  While we don't always agree on everything, it makes for some great, spirited conversations.

9 hours ago, downsouth26 said:

Driving the Pacific Coast Highway in the summer with TPATHB blasting in the car is one of my favorite memories.

Playing my Damn the Torpedoes and Hard Promises cassettes over and over on the PCH in January 1983: what could be better?

On 8/13/2020 at 5:05 PM, Arete411 said:

Playing my Damn the Torpedoes and Hard Promises cassettes over and over on the PCH in January 1983: what could be better?

A little slice of heaven.  Windows rolled down, clear blue sky on a summer's day, a cool sea air breeze, and Kings Road playing loud.  It can't get much better than that...