Sign in to follow this  
TheSameOldDrew

Mary Jane's Last Dance drumming question

What is the story on the drumming for the studio version of MJLD?  Doesn't it go something like Stan was asked to copy the drumming from some song (a famous song by another band), but instead he decided to play it the way he does?   I remember reading about this but now I've forgotten it.  I think Tom eventually liked Stan's drumming so much that he had Steve play it that way live.  

1 hour ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

What is the story on the drumming for the studio version of MJLD?  Doesn't it go something like Stan was asked to copy the drumming from some song (a famous song by another band), but instead he decided to play it the way he does?   I remember reading about this but now I've forgotten it.  I think Tom eventually liked Stan's drumming so much that he had Steve play it that way live.  

Told to play it like Gimme Shelter but did it his own way, a win for Stan.

Thanks MJ2LD, that's how I remember it now.  How it could have played like "Gimme Shelter" I don't know.  But Stan certainly came through creatively, and I like how Steve essentially used Stan's template for it, in his own performances. 

I stumbled across this live video performance of MJLD tonight, the first time I've ever seen it.  This one has Stan on drums and it's either from 1993 or 1994.  Complete with annoying (but thankfully brief) introduction by Rosanne Barr.  

Very listenable though not perfect sound quality (or video quality for that matter), BUT it has a very interesting, very "jammy" extended ending that I don't think I've quite heard on other performances of the song.   Overall it's very cool to see this, possibly the very first filmed live performance of MJLD, also one of the last filmed non-acoustic songs with Stan on drums.  Kind of a "last dance" in that sense, other than Stan's bored YDKHIF live performance on Letterman.  

7 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

it has a very interesting, very "jammy" extended ending that I don't think I've quite heard on other performances of the song. 

Thanks for unearthing this performance. I hadn’t heard this particular extended ending before either, and it is such a pleasure to watch the band build another new (to me) sound.

1 hour ago, Arete411 said:

Thanks for unearthing this performance. I hadn’t heard this particular extended ending before either, and it is such a pleasure to watch the band build another new (to me) sound.

Arete, yes this is terrific.  And I see that it's from September 8, 1994, New York City Radio Music Hall - apparently one-off for MTV.  I don't know how I missed this before, maybe everyone else had seen it, besides the two of us.  BTW here's a better quality version of it (sound is much better):

IMPROVED QUALITY!!  

11 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Arete, yes this is terrific.  And I see that it's from September 8, 1994, New York City Radio Music Hall - apparently one-off for MTV.  I don't know how I missed this before, maybe everyone else had seen it, besides the two of us.  BTW here's a better quality version of it (sound is much better):

IMPROVED QUALITY!!  

Great performance.  Never seen it before.  Thanks for sharing!

On July 25, 2020 at 8:27 AM, Arete411 said:

Take care of yourself! Yes, very good version of the song!

cheers

Watching the RDAD documentary and Benmont spoke very highly of Stan's playing on Mary Jane.  He said that it's "the last thing Stan ever did with us" and "he plays his ass off."

Very true.  That track has a great groove.  A very memorable performance.  What a way to go out.