Jump to content
Arete411

Never-heard song?!?

Recommended Posts

I will say I love the effort though.  I hear at least 6 tracks in this "demo".  2 vocal tracks, 2 guitar tracks, a harmonica, and a bass track.  Pretty solid work for a demo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

so some of you that downloaded the song may have noticed it's listed as track 26 home recordings 01, I read over on the Hoff forum the thinking is it may be 25 tracks comprising Wildflowers All the Rest and this is the first of the Home Recordings / Demos...

so it sounds to me like we should be seeing some thirty tracks or more.   Now we need a release date for the package....  

Yeah. For a moment there, I thought that maybe there would be 26+ home recordings....!?

Then I read that same thing you mentioned on the Hoffman forum about the potential track sequencing for this...

And this would make sense with a multi-disc deluxe release in mind. For example:

Disc 1: Wildflowers: Original Album (1-15)

Disc 2: Wildflowers: All the Rest (16-25) 10 song album of unreleased songs. The 10 that got cut from the original 25 song vision for the double album? This appears to be what Tom said in the Rolling Stone article* that were so good, that it could almost be a "new" album on its own. He could not see them as outtakes. Quote: "There’s probably six songs that nobody has heard. There’s 11 or 12 [new] songs on the album. I think people are going to like it a lot. I like it a lot. At one point the label really just wanted to put it out as a standalone album.”

Disc 3: Wildflowers: Home Recordings (26- ) We've heard 2 songs so far from this batch. To me, this might be one of the more exciting things about this release. This would be the closest thing to hearing Tom in his living room playing these songs for you on the couch. Talk about intimate.

So there could be 30-40 tracks for ATR...

Someone mentioned that there won't be a live album included, say a complete show from the 1995 Dogs With Wings Tour. Which is kind of a bummer if that's true.

*https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-petty-considering-wildflowers-tour-in-2017-86493/

Also being considered and being discussed for ATR was releasing the original double album concept - with 25 songs. This would be a mix of old and "new/unreleased songs", that would potentially drastically alter the sequencing of the Wildflowers album that we're familiar with. Would this be a good or bad thing? Would this mess up the Wildflowers experience, or throw is in an alternate universe? At any rate, this seems to be the less probable option. But it would be interesting to at least see the proposed track order that was submitted to WB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Someone mentioned that there won't be a live album included, say a complete show from the 1995 Dogs With Wings Tour. Which is kind of a bummer if that's true.

I've long wondered why the Chicago 1995 video, which was obviously professionally filmed, was never officially released.  Were the original tapes lost?  It seems to me that this would be the time to throw in a DVD (presumably of higher quality than what is circulating, though it's not bad in the version I've seen) of that concert in a deluxe or super-deluxe boxed set. 

34 minutes ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Also being considered and being discussed for ATR was releasing the original double album concept - with 25 songs. This would be a mix of old and "new/unreleased songs", that would potentially drastically alter the sequencing of the Wildflowers album that we're familiar with. Would this be a good or bad thing? Would this mess up the Wildflowers experience, or throw is in an alternate universe? At any rate, this seems to be the less probable option. But it would be interesting to at least see the proposed track order that was submitted to WB.

Personally I'd be for a new and inclusive track order IF Tom Petty were still alive to oversee it.  As it is now, I would imagine that a new track order for an expanded Wildflowers album would be chosen (mostly) by Mike and Benmont.  

I know that this is heresy to a lot of TPATH fans, but I never thought the WF album was one of the better TP/TPATH albums, or even in the top half of them.  So to me the original tracking order of WF is not particularly sacred. But I realize that some people feel the whole thing is a "masterpiece", including the track order, so maybe they wouldn't want to mess with that. 

On the other other hand, I didn't like the way on Highway Companion that the two extra songs were just "tacked on" to the original album, in the Special Edition (released a little less than a year after the original).  A lot could have been done artistically in integrating those two songs with the originals, as has been discussed on this (soon to be gone) website. I think that the new WF would benefit from a full integration of the extra songs rather than tacking them on after the original, but we'll see.  Too bad TP isn't still here, for a lot of reasons, including that he won't be able to choose whether to retrack the album or leave it as it is, plus the extras.       

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its boggled my mind since we lost Tom that there was not a mix order in mind as he seemed to be actively working on this prior to the final tour. I'm guessing Tom might not have rolled out the home demos we will now get but he must have had some kind of track order and mixes in place if he was approaching folks about a tour.  I hope whatever package they release in the end has an nice companion booklet like AAT had and some hint of what Tom had planned is offered...   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Yeah. For a moment there, I thought that maybe there would be 26+ home recordings....!?

Then I read that same thing you mentioned on the Hoffman forum about the potential track sequencing for this...

And this would make sense with a multi-disc deluxe release in mind. For example:

Disc 1: Wildflowers: Original Album (1-15)

Disc 2: Wildflowers: All the Rest (16-25) 10 song album of unreleased songs. The 10 that got cut from the original 25 song vision for the double album? This appears to be what Tom said in the Rolling Stone article* that were so good, that it could almost be a "new" album on its own. He could not see them as outtakes. Quote: "There’s probably six songs that nobody has heard. There’s 11 or 12 [new] songs on the album. I think people are going to like it a lot. I like it a lot. At one point the label really just wanted to put it out as a standalone album.”

Disc 3: Wildflowers: Home Recordings (26- ) We've heard 2 songs so far from this batch. To me, this might be one of the more exciting things about this release. This would be the closest thing to hearing Tom in his living room playing these songs for you on the couch. Talk about intimate.

So there could be 30-40 tracks for ATR...

Someone mentioned that there won't be a live album included, say a complete show from the 1995 Dogs With Wings Tour. Which is kind of a bummer if that's true.

*https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-petty-considering-wildflowers-tour-in-2017-86493/

Also being considered and being discussed for ATR was releasing the original double album concept - with 25 songs. This would be a mix of old and "new/unreleased songs", that would potentially drastically alter the sequencing of the Wildflowers album that we're familiar with. Would this be a good or bad thing? Would this mess up the Wildflowers experience, or throw is in an alternate universe? At any rate, this seems to be the less probable option. But it would be interesting to at least see the proposed track order that was submitted to WB.

 

This probably makes the most sense. However, it leaves open the question of whether B-sides and alternate versions will be included on a 4th disc. That would be stuff like the acoustic "Cabin Down Below" and "Only a Broken Heart," etc. We know "Girl on LSD" will be included, since Adria confirmed it, but will it be as part of the second disc or a fourth disc of B-sides? TP didn't consider it part of the final 25 when the album was conceived.

The B sides/alternate versions will be nice, and home recordings are going to be great, but the true headliner of this project is going to be that second disc, tracks 16 though 25. At first I was hoping the songs would be integrated into the original running order of the full Wildflowers. Now I am ambivalent and wouldn't mind the 10 tracks all being on a second disc. Here's hoping we get a track list soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Chicago 1995 video, which was obviously professionally filmed, was never officially released.  Were the original tapes lost?  It seems to me that this would be the time to throw in a DVD (presumably of higher quality than what is circulating, though it's not bad in the version I've seen) of that concert in a deluxe or super-deluxe boxed set.

Forget a box set. How about a DVD and a two-disc live album. Sold separately so if you don't want to watch it you can just get the live record. There hasn't been a complete, official unedited live TPATH record. Why not Chicago '95? My old vhs tape if not thrown out years ago was fine, save the sudden cut in Don't Fade On Me.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedfordCowboy said:

For sure. Agree with you on the b-sides and alternate versions. Where would they go?

Are you sure Girl on LSD wasn't considered for inclusion with the original 25? I'm definitely not a fan of that song....

I think Adria said recently that her dad definitely did not have "Girl on LSD" in the 25-track running order. She then said that the song would still be part of the new release in some way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just hoping that when the re-release hits that it has as many band takes as it does home, solo demos. As much as I like it, I'd hate to see the effort of the album just be solely shifted to a TP project when we all know there isn't such a thing outside of HC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martin03345 said:

I'm just hoping that when the re-release hits that it has as many band takes as it does home, solo demos. As much as I like it, I'd hate to see the effort of the album just be solely shifted to a TP project when we all know there isn't such a thing outside of HC. 

I think there's definitely going to be full band tracks and the TP demos; of the two I definitely prefer full band! And new music, well...new old music from the early 90s Tom and the band.

ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 5, 2020 at 3:12 PM, Thelonious said:

Turning Point

Now that I've gone back to listen to it, the compositional similarities are obvious! Interesting to hear a song that has parts of another song yet goes in a different direction in the chorus. I prefer Turning Point but Dream Away is a pretty little song; such nice rhythm playing too.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone find themselves listening to this song much? I downloaded it, gave it a few listens but its not something I feel a need to give a spin again and again...  nice to hear it but does not feel as special as I had hoped it would... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

does anyone find themselves listening to this song much? I downloaded it, gave it a few listens but its not something I feel a need to give a spin again and again...  nice to hear it but does not feel as special as I had hoped it would... 

I've listened to it maybe half a dozen times.  I've really enjoyed it, but then again, I have been feeling down for a couple weeks now, so what's that old saying?  Misery loves company, I think.  Lol.

But I can see how it probably won't be on frequent rotation for a lot of people.  Nevertheless, lovely song.  Grateful to have it. 

Now bring on All The Rest.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I downloaded it, gave it a few listens but its not something I feel a need to give a spin again and again...  nice to hear it but does not feel as special as I had hoped it would... 

I don't listen to it much because while I think it is a good song I'm just not in the mood for the more acoustic side of Tom's music. I'm not listening to TPATH at the moment, it comes and goes in waves. 

cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, downsouth26 said:

I've listened to it maybe half a dozen times.  I've really enjoyed it, but then again, I have been feeling down for a couple weeks now, so what's that old saying?  Misery loves company, I think.  Lol.

I hope things improve for you. Take care of yourself when this place shuts down, downsouth26!

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I hope things improve for you. Take care of yourself when this place shuts down, downsouth26!

cheers

Very kind of you, thank you!!  I'm sure they will.  I seem to go into a funk every couple of years and I come out of it thinking "What the hell was that about?"

Also, all the best to you!  It's been a pleasure being here and engaging with you.

Out of curiosity, you said you aren't listening to Tom now, what are you listening to?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, downsouth26 said:

Also, all the best to you!  It's been a pleasure being here and engaging with you.

Out of curiosity, you said you aren't listening to Tom now, what are you listening to?

Thanks. A lot of Guns n Roses, mainly the Illusion tracks and some of the live shows from their reunion. Also the new Pearl Jam album Gigaton, first five tracks range from excellent to good, after that it's a mixed bag but overall disappointing thus far.

Prior to all that some Queens of the Stone Age, Joe Satriani and a huge amount of live Zeppelin, bootlegs of soundboard quality.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

does anyone find themselves listening to this song much? I downloaded it, gave it a few listens but its not something I feel a need to give a spin again and again...  nice to hear it but does not feel as special as I had hoped it would... 

It made me want to revisit "Turning Point," never noticed what a good song that was; haven't listened to it for years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

does anyone find themselves listening to this song much?

I usually keep Tom Petty Radio on all day in the background while I’m working, and the song is in very heavy rotation on the channel, so: yes. 🙂 It isn’t a song I would think to play over and over again, so I’m glad it is on repeat more or less by default; it’s been growing on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 12:21 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I like Turning Point quite a bit! It's one of my favorites from the box set.

cheers and take care Zargo when this place finally shuts down.

Thanks mate, you too! Was missing a TP messageboard for a while after the official one became for paid up people  only (were they called "Highway companions?"), which was useless for someone outside the U.S. Found this one not that long ago and now sadly it's goodbye here also, but it's been fun while it's lasted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was posted by McCool over on the SH forum:


There Goes Angela: Also according to Tom Petty's childhood friend Keith Harben, the protagonist of Tom Petty's latest single [There Goes Angela (Dream Away)] is an actual person who was familiar to TP and his friends from childhood. Harben recently shared the following: "I know Angela! I know her well! She lived on our street, me and TP. On the corner of 16th Ave. and 6th Terr. She was a beautiful young girl, a lot younger than us. As youngsters from 6 to 9 Tom and I spent our days finding interesting things to do. No internet, no video games. One of our favorite things to do was play Cowboy and Indians. We had a close circle of friends in the neighborhood. One family had 3 girls and 1 boy. An older sister didn't hang out with us. Her name was Kay and she married Halston's brother Don. That's the famous designer Halston. Another sister Debbie was closest to our age and a brother named DR (we called him peewee). the youngest sister was Angela. You can understand that these kids we grew up with were sort of like brothers and sisters. Angela was quite a bit younger than us but as we grew older she grew up to be a beautiful young lady as were her other two sisters. Sister Debbie liked me and wanted to date me after High School. I tried and she was very pretty and looked like a model. But it felt like I was going out with my sister. Listening to the song I feel like it really fit and the words made sense to me. Angela grew to be equally stunning and I can imagine Tom would see her walking as I often did. She and many other neighborhood kids would often come down to hear the Sundowners practice as she grew older. He may have had a crush on her, maybe we all did. I don't think there would ever have been a romantic connection. May have just been a fantasy! But I feel this is another example of Tom writing about life in Gainesville and this Angela would have certainly and in all likelihood fit the words to this new song!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arete411 said:

This was posted by McCool over on the SH forum:


There Goes Angela: Also according to Tom Petty's childhood friend Keith Harben, the protagonist of Tom Petty's latest single [There Goes Angela (Dream Away)] is an actual person who was familiar to TP and his friends from childhood. Harben recently shared the following: 

Interesting back story!  Thanks for sharing it over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By TPHB1976
      Hey so I’m not sure if this is the place to post this, but I’m looking for a Martin HD-40 Tom Petty model if anyone has one or has a lead. Thanks!
    • By Arete411
      The Gainesville Music History Foundation is spearheading the effort to turn Tom's childhood home, 1715 NE 6th Terrace, into a historically designated landmark and a museum. Here’s where you can donate: http://www.gmhfi.org/tph/
       
      (Admins, if this isn’t allowed, I apologize.)
    • By under-them-skies-of-blue
      Mark Felsot posted in the TPN Facebook group this morning that they’re doing “Mojo Madness” all weekend on TPR since it’s Mojo’s 9th birthday. 
      What interested me specifically was his mentioning that they’ll be playing a song from the Mojo sessions never before heard on TPR. I guess what I’m wanting to find out is, has it also never been heard by me? 😂
      I don’t currently have TPR, so if anyone’s listening this morning and hears the song, would you mind sharing what it is? The suspense is killing me! 😂
      (and if anyone happens to record it if it’s not something we’ve heard before, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to anyone sharing it 😜😂)
       
    • By Adamr
      Can anyone help identify these autographs and if this is tom petty

×
×
  • Create New...