Arete411

Never-heard song?!?

sirius posted some of the interview with Ben.

https://blog.siriusxm.com/hear-the-all-new-tom-petty-song-there-goes-angela-dream-away-on-siriusxm/

Spoiler

Hear the all-new Tom Petty song, “There Goes Angela (Dream Away),” on SiriusXM

August 5, 2020

TomPetty_Wildflowers.png?w=940

Just over a month after the Tom Petty Family premiered Tom’s eight-track demo of his classic song “You Don’t Know How It Feels,” SiriusXM’s Tom Petty Radio (Ch. 31) debuted another song from the music legend.

Listen-Now_Tom-Petty-Radio.png?w=628

On Wednesday, August 5 at 10am ET Heartbreakers’ keyboardist Benmont Tench and engineer George Drakoulias joined SiriusXM host David Fricke to unveil a never-before-heard Tom Petty song, “There Goes Angela (Dream Away).” This song is another Tom Petty home demo from the forthcoming Wildflowers project. Stream Tom Petty Radio to hear the all-new track, revisit the world premiere On Demand below, and scroll down to hear Tench’s reflections on Petty and his music.
Listen-On-Demand_Tom-Petty-Radio.png?w=6
For up-to-date information on Petty’s music and more, visit tompetty.com.

4 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I'm not going to take some damn quiz to hear the song. 

Ha ha, what? Why would they do something like that? 

Anyway, the song itself:

a) I like it

b) I would've preferred a whole band song

c) It sounds very very familiar; the back and forth nature of the verses, I can't quite place it yet but it sounds like something else he's sung.

d) My understanding is All The Rest is completed songs with demos as a bonus.

e) Remember on the Sirius quiz, always pick "c" or "none of the above"

f) All of the above

13 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

c) It sounds very very familiar; the back and forth nature of the verses, I can't quite place it yet but it sounds like something else he's sung.

Turning Point

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

sirius posted some of the interview with Ben.

Thanks for sharing that. Haven't listened but the artwork in that post seems similar to the artwork for YDKHIF, so maybe this is all part of the ATR project and this is the slow build up to a fall or Christmas time release. Or maybe it'll coincide with the original release date of WF.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have to be honest, I got bored with it half way through.

I respect your honesty. 

cheers

so some of you that downloaded the song may have noticed it's listed as track 26 home recordings 01, I read over on the Hoff forum the thinking is it may be 25 tracks comprising Wildflowers All the Rest and this is the first of the Home Recordings / Demos...

so it sounds to me like we should be seeing some thirty tracks or more.   Now we need a release date for the package....  

4 hours ago, Thelonious said:

Anyone else hearing some similarities to Turning Point?

Love the song. His songwriting was sooo strong during this period.

Nice observation.  Same key, and similar chord progression.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if one song morphed into the other.

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:
7 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I'm not going to take some damn quiz to hear the song. 

Ha ha, what? Why would they do something like that? 

Ok I tried it just now.  I deliberately messed up the quiz and only got 2/5 right.  And they still gave me the free download.  

1 hour ago, TomFest said:
6 hours ago, Thelonious said:

Anyone else hearing some similarities to Turning Point?

Love the song. His songwriting was sooo strong during this period.

Nice observation.  Same key, and similar chord progression.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if one song morphed into the other.

Yes I hear it too, good call.  Musically this sounds like a slowed down Turning Point.  

I like the lyrical references to childhood, such as playing cowboys, playing Tarzan in the trees, not knowing how hard it would be (later in life).  

Also, maybe this is the part that brings a tear to the eye:

One Day I'll be back

One Day I'll be home

Right now I've got some things

To do out on the Road 

I agree, this is a good song to have at the end of the forum.  

4 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Benmont commented that he'd never heard this song, apparently Tom never presented it to the band.  Ben thought it might have even been from a time when they made some early WF recordings with Stan (if I understood that correctly, I think he said Stan).  

Ben talks also of the emotion of hearing Tom's voice again, on something new to him (now).  I agree and it's also great to hear Ben's voice again too (and it's been great to hear Ben on some of the videos he posted during the covid outbreak).      

Nice writeup from Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-pettys-lost-wildflowers-song-there-goes-angela-dream-away-1039785/

The song? It's...fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Nice turns of phrase, callbacks to Gainesville nostalgia, a melody partly lifted from Turning Point. It works as one of the demo bonus tracks we hope to hear with the full release of All the Rest.

Seems to me like more of a "Highway Companion" outtake than anything else.  Tom sings in that high soft voice.  Not my favorite style of his, mostly because I don't have the range to sing it. LOL That's my acid test for a song.