Arete411

Never-heard song?!?

There are most likely "Contractual Obligations" that have to be met before the whole thing can be released. With Tom gone, that could take years, if ever! This is probably the family's only way to get that music to us at this time. Maybe 1 song at a time forever, we just don't know and no one is talking to let us know. It's all about the money and who profits from it!!!!!!!!!!

Couple of new teaser tidbits:

• Wednesday’s 10 am premiere of the song on TPR will be hosted by David Fricke with Benmont Tench and George Drakoulias participating.
  • Mark Felsot reports that he has now heard the song, and says: “It’s cool. It’s cool....might be a bit of a tear jerker, I dunno.” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Moon Pie 2?

That would indeed jerk a few tears, but not in a good way.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:26 PM, nurktwin said:

There are most likely "Contractual Obligations" that have to be met before the whole thing can be released. With Tom gone, that could take years, if ever! This is probably the family's only way to get that music to us at this time. Maybe 1 song at a time forever, we just don't know and no one is talking to let us know. It's all about the money and who profits from it!!!!!!!!!!

I fear this is exactly how things are going.

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

well, that's 2020 for you... :(  Mark just posted this on the TPN website.  

TOM PETTY RADIO'S WORLD PREMIERE OF NEW TOM PETTY SONG POSTPONED TILL NEXT WEEK🙁

Why?  How aggravating.  No chance to discuss it in Mudcrutch Farm now.  Definitely typical of 2020.   

Okay, I apologize for this stupid sentence especially because giving birth to Tom and child was a little off.  I'm probably just angry that something will be postponed again.  Only Mike with his debut album, which was postponed for a good six months, I can certainly wait a week for a song, but it's just annoying.

10 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Of course, why not.  🤦‍♂️

Someone wake me when it's 2021 and I'm sitting in a baseball stadium watching a game.

Any chance of keeping this forum around one more month so we can experience one last new song together??  Just some wishful thinking....

17 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Ah, well, c'est la vie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Enjoy the song whenever it comes, and farewell, Farmers. It's been short and sweet. 

The Steve Hoffman forum says:

Just push it forward one week, same time-same station. Next Wednesday [2020-08-05], SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" will be premiering an unreleased Tom Petty song at 10 AM ET/7 AM PT.

But it is not at all certain that the song comes from the Wildflowers project.

Its lovely. Just listened to the Sirius broadcast. it should be available for free on Tompetty.com very soon and  Ben says think of Gainsville when you listen to the song as it to him gives cues about the song. 

Is it called There goes angela or Dream away? 

Thanks to Mudcrutch for staying open so we can talk about this!  

Nailed the quiz.  Wasn't tough, so I shouldn't be this proud of myself, but I am.

Absolutely beautiful song.  I noticed that it is labeled as track "26. Home Recordings".

Could be a nice sign of things to come.

I was not able to record it but he said Ben does not recall him ever hearing it before. He would have bugged Tom to record it in full if he had. He mentioned it was set in Gainesville FL as the 18th ave was located there and he suspected Tom felt it was too much like a few of the other tracks to include.  Did not seem to think there was a specific Angela it referenced and it was very, very early in the writing of the album as it was a 1992 copyright. 

Is this even listed as one of the "outtakes" known about for the album? 

2 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I was not able to record it but he said Ben does not recall him ever hearing it before. He would have bugged Tom to record it in full if he had.

Thanks!
Damn, I was hoping there is a full band recording of it...