Mudcrutch

Mudcrutch Farm / mudcrutch.com Will Be Shutting Down July 31, 2020

Sorry to see the site go I must say, it has always been my first 'go to' place for all things Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Mudcrutch, Dirty Knobs. I'm not really a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram person, this place and other types of forums like this have always felt like more of an independent local type flavour which is what I like. It's the way of the world now that independent providers are getting squeezed out, and most of the time that's just based on demand. I don't know what the viewing/content stats are like but I'm guessing that they are down substantially over the last while. 

With Tom departed and the band not touring that's another factor too I'm sure, but not exclusively so . I like the discussion/analysis/considered opinion type forums but these are a dying breed. 

Looking forward The Steve Hoffman Tom Petty thread site is probably where I'll end up pitching my tent when the Farm closes down. may try reddit as well, Mike and Benmont do some very interesting video clips on Instagram, there are a couple of Tom Petty  Facebook groups out there and there's still the official social media accounts....

Still, I'm disappointed that Mudcrutch Farm is going, it's the end of an era in many ways......

Thanks to all contributors over the years for the fun, the inspirational moments, the debates, the discussions, the information, the anecdotes, and those set list discussions!😊 

57 minutes ago, dollardime said:

Sorry to see the site go I must say, it has always been my first 'go to' place for all things Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Mudcrutch, Dirty Knobs. I'm not really a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram person, this place and other types of forums like this have always felt like more of an independent local type flavour which is what I like. It's the way of the world now that independent providers are getting squeezed out, and most of the time that's just based on demand. I don't know what the viewing/content stats are like but I'm guessing that they are down substantially over the last while. 

With Tom departed and the band not touring that's another factor too I'm sure, but not exclusively so . I like the discussion/analysis/considered opinion type forums but these are a dying breed. 

Looking forward The Steve Hoffman Tom Petty thread site is probably where I'll end up pitching my tent when the Farm closes down. may try reddit as well, Mike and Benmont do some very interesting video clips on Instagram, there are a couple of Tom Petty  Facebook groups out there and there's still the official social media accounts....

Still, I'm disappointed that Mudcrutch Farm is going, it's the end of an era in many ways......

Thanks to all contributors over the years for the fun, the inspirational moments, the debates, the discussions, the information, the anecdotes, and those set list discussions!😊 

All great points and after Tom's passing it really hasn't been the same. Facebook, etc has definitely put the squeeze on many sites. Remember, this place was originally built as an alternative to the un-moderated official forums where many were driven away. Ironically the people that took refuge here and wanted to exclude others (for valid reasons) don't come here anymore anyway. People can now live in the the safe friend circles they create on other sites. Photo hosting which was once a needed service for tour photos, etc is now easily uploaded from your phone to your social profile, etc.

In the end the demise of this site is of my own doing. I will never blame external X factors. We needed a regular flow of news, articles, content, etc. posted on this site and social sites driving eyes back here to keep a fresh group of fans passing through. I never had the time or put enough focus on curating the culture that could sustain this place.

Communities built on OTHER platforms are in danger as well. I hosted and held secure all the data here. People don't have that sort of control when they don't own the data. Things can change any moment!

13 hours ago, dollardime said:

Yeah.. very well put, really. Simple as that. It's about the contribution, isn't it. People taking the time and energy to share the passion, to pour thoughts and insight on here, that made these pastures green for many years. The having fun. After all - life needs to be fed, and as soon as the input peters out, so does the output. Not to say the very raison d'etre.

After all, thrills and kicks of fast clicks - of links and likes - is everywhere in multitudes. It's the elaborate sharing of thoughts and discussion that is really a dying habit with people. Even the very idea of actually really talking with each other, is becoming rarer by the minute in these fact resistent, twitter bubble days of mighty Self. If you think about it, it's really not just the Farm dying. It's quite understandable, inevitabel even. I think Ryan's got it right. And after all, it's just one of many signs of our times.*

All this said - Thanks a million to Ryan for making it all happen, for keeping this resource and opportunity to talk TP from various aspects, open this long. It has been some interesting and entertaining times. Some weird and wonderful stories. I have learned a lot. I have connected with a lot of interesting and good people. In short, I am very proud to have been a Farmer. It has been a good ride.

All the best to all of you!

-----

* Of course, I'm just gonna have to do this note thing here, just because I can..... just to expand by saying that.. at the end of the day, of course the masses will get what the masses want - what they deserve, to put it bluntly. It's only natural. No one will take your Coke away, so to speak. As for all the rest (right!) it's always a gamble.. And as for our interest in all things Tom Petty.. well.. There will still be online archives for sound, vision and articles, hopefully.. there will still be youtube.. places for people to lurk about in their "splendid isolation".. and yeah.. TPN seem to do the trick for most fans, for some reason. For the rest of us.. well.. Steve Hoffman is still open for business.

Just around the time when the Dirty Knobs are finally about to release an album, this happens.

Thank you everybody on this board for keeping us updated on upcoming Heartbreakers related releases.

On June 21, 2020 at 12:00 PM, Mudcrutch said:

Thank you to every single person that had a part in making this a great place for fans to be.

Ryan/Mudcrutch,

No, thank you for this place. It is and soon to be was, the premier site for TPATH fans.

I found my way here after the official forum became paid members only. This place has been a treasure trove of live and unreleased recordings and interesting and lively fan discussion. You're not going to find this place's quality at TP Nation nor reddit and while Hoffman offers some avenue, none in my opinion compare to what this place was for TPATH listeners.

At the same time, it's not exactly a surprise as discussion has slowly been dwindling, I guess it's good it lasted as long as it did following Tom's death.

The time, money and effort you put into this place is appreciated. Thank you for allowing me to be a moderator here.

Good luck in your future endeavors and take care!

cheers,

MJ2LD

11 hours ago, Shelter said:

People taking the time and energy to share the passion, to pour thoughts and insight on here, that made these pastures green for many years. The having fun. After all - life needs to be fed, and as soon as the input peters out, so does the output. Not to say the very raison d'etre.

True. Well said and I agree.

Also, the 'Farm was easy on the eyes with a nice appealing and easy to read layout so we could easily get to the important discussions: of how bad the set list was...! Definitely a seldom broached topic here.

Seriously though, forums are great for discussion and debate with a space for back-and-forth quality that things like facebook will never equal.

Before this place goes dark, I gotta say I think you're definitely one of the MVPs of Mudcrutch Farm, your well thought out takes and dry humor helped make this place what it was. Maybe we should all play You And I Will Meet Again on July 31 as this place goes down. 

Or instead, the much heralded and wildly popular classic It Ain't Nothin' To Me.

Except this place was somethin' to quite a lot of folks.

cheers

Sorry to see the end of the forum, though the posts had gotten very sparse recently.  I've enjoyed the various discussions on the music and performances of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.  Most everyone here has made significant contributions to the forum, which is fairly rare for the internet. 

Thanks to Mudcrutch for hosting and posting many insightful comments.  Thanks also to Shelter and many others, especially including MJ2LD - with whom i found myself most in agreement on TPATH topics.  With no new TPATH music being generated, I doubt I'll be joining any new forums. But the songs as "covers" (including from "tribute bands"), the TPATH studio recordings, and TPATH recorded concert performances will live on.  

See this in the Steve Hoffman Forum: 
As an aside, I was saddened to learn that the independent Tom Petty/Heartbreakers site "Mudcrutch Farm" has decided to pull up stakes. While I was never personally a forum patron, the site served as a true gathering place for many Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans over the years. I must admit I remembering chuckling when the unforeseen and wonderful occurrence took place in 2008 and TP decided to reform his first band, Mudcrutch and they had to list their web domain as mudcrutchmusic.com as the domain name "Mudcrutch" was already in use by the fansite. I mean who'd thunk it?

Anyway, I would like to welcome any and all refugees from that site over to this thread. We'll try our best to keep y'all entertained

4 minutes ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

especially including MJ2LD - with whom i found myself most in agreement on TPATH topics.  With no new TPATH music being generated, I doubt I'll be joining any new forums. But the songs as "covers"

Thanks. I nearly fell out of my chair when I read someone who was disappointed in the covers. Nice chatting with you too Drew. While I could change my mind, I think I'm most likely done with posting on TPATH as well. This place was largely a very friendly place even with some more heated moments and arguments.

take care

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

See this in the Steve Hoffman Forum: 
As an aside, I was saddened to learn that the independent Tom Petty/Heartbreakers site "Mudcrutch Farm" has decided to pull up stakes. While I was never personally a forum patron, the site served as a true gathering place for many Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans over the years. I must admit I remembering chuckling when the unforeseen and wonderful occurrence took place in 2008 and TP decided to reform his first band, Mudcrutch and they had to list their web domain as mudcrutchmusic.com as the domain name "Mudcrutch" was already in use by the fansite. I mean who'd thunk it?

Anyway, I would like to welcome any and all refugees from that site over to this thread. We'll try our best to keep y'all entertained

LOLLLLL. yea that was funny. I don't remember specifics but management did call me and we were trying to work out some sort of exchange.

7 hours ago, Mudcrutch said:

Good way to put it and I feel the same.

HoF should still happen! A while back we planned a meetup on an off-tour year and they sprung a tour on us, ha.

Yes it could!  It is still on my list of things I want to do so it could still happen! 

Hey Ryan, you and I go back, and I mean way back. Remember the time you slept on the couch at my dorm the night before we saw TPATH at the Vic? That's almost 20 years ago! What a week that was. I've been around these message boards that long too, and it has always been a great place, and one where I have spent a lot of time over the years. I can honestly say I will truly miss Mudcrutch Farm. Sure, things have slowed down recently — less news, less posts, less activity — and I haven't been very active in posting myself (though I still do come to browse, that's a habit I can't break!), but it will be sad to think this collection of posts, photos, enthusiasm, memories and people won't be around anymore.

In any case, thank you for all the work you've put in over the years. It is truly appreciated. And to all the posters still here, thanks for fun and interesting conversations and friendships over the years.

It is ironic though — and you have to chuckle a little — that this announcement comes literally days before a possible "Wildflowers All the Rest" official announcement later this week, as TPR has teased! 😄😆

I'm pretty shocked, even though I haven't written most of it myself, but I enjoyed reading your reports almost every day. Especially those from MaryJanes2ndLastDance, Shelter, Hoodoo Man, Mudcrutch, Nurktwin, dollardime, Marion, TomFest, High Grass Dog...
In which forum do we see each other again? Steve Hoffman? reddit?
Can nobody create a second Mudcrutch Farm Forum?  😥

It's over and can NEVER be recreated or the same again. It's the end of an era. 20 years of good stuff and meeting everyone over the years at not only concerts, but to vacation together and visit each other at our houses to party for a week at a time. Sorry to say that will most never happen again. It's sad, but some of us will party again.