Jes

Stan Lynch teams up with Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) for new instrumental album!

Thanks.  It's always great to hear Stan's drumming, especially on that first track.  I'm struck by the fact that the first track is "surf" type music, when Mike Campbell, Ron Blair, and Randall Marsh did their own surf instrumentals on Blue Stingrays.  It's too late now, but I think it also shows that if personal differences had been worked out, Stan could have remained with the band through all of their stylistic changes. 

Good for Steve to carry the ball of course, but I think it's wrong to think Stan wasn't equipped for the kind of music they did at that point. Even though Stan himself made an offhand comment that he didn't like and didn't know how to contribute to the Wildflowers-type of music (he didn't say Wildflowers but it was going on at that time). 

On a non-musical topic, I need to unsee that picture of Stan in the "do-rag" holding a frying pan.    I realize that they are "The Chefs" but still.  

On 5/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, TheSameOldDrew said:

Thanks.  It's always great to hear Stan's drumming, especially on that first track.  I'm struck by the fact that the first track is "surf" type music, when Mike Campbell, Ron Blair, and Randall Marsh did their own surf instrumentals on Blue Stingrays.  It's too late now, but I think it also shows that if personal differences had been worked out, Stan could have remained with the band through all of their stylistic changes. 

Good for Steve to carry the ball of course, but I think it's wrong to think Stan wasn't equipped for the kind of music they did at that point. Even though Stan himself made an offhand comment that he didn't like and didn't know how to contribute to the Wildflowers-type of music (he didn't say Wildflowers but it was going on at that time). 

On a non-musical topic, I need to unsee that picture of Stan in the "do-rag" holding a frying pan.    I realize that they are "The Chefs" but still.  

According to Warren Haynes's book, there are reasons why Stan wouldn't have been welcome in the Blue Stingrays project. That said, I'm thrilled to hear Stan on drums again!

15 hours ago, peterdimples said:

According to Warren Haynes's book, there are reasons why Stan wouldn't have been welcome in the Blue Stingrays project.

Yes, I think you mean the tour bus incident in Europe, I believe it was 1987, Mike and Stan had a falling out.  I just meant it's interesting that on the track here Stan shows that he CAN play surf music, not that I doubted he could.  Randall did a good job with the Blue Stingrays though.  

On 6/3/2020 at 8:52 PM, peterdimples said:

According to Warren Haynes's book

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday searching for this mystery book as well as Googling in vain for this connection between him and the Heartbreakers 😉