Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Saving Grace live from Calgary 2008---Best Version Ever?!

Great video of the 2008 extended version.  It's amazing how much they changed the song from a couple years earlier - the 2008 version is somewhat faster paced and much longer than the original, has a nice keyboard part added, as well as a lot more guitar work.  That's one of the many good things about this band, they might play the same song from one tour to the next, but they'd usually change the way they played it.

For comparison, here's Saving Grace from 2 years earlier - also a great performance but a lot different:

2 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

It's amazing how much they changed the song from a couple years earlier - the 2008 version is somewhat faster paced and much longer than the original, has a nice keyboard part added, as well as a lot more guitar work.

I was happily surprised the first time I heard it; they took what was a Bo Diddley homage (to a degree) and completely supercharged it, the combo of Mikes' slide playing, the rhythm section, Tom all of it, Benmont's flourishes made the song completely brand new. I think an interesting interview question for the remaining members of the band would be how this new version came to be. If the original was a bouncy drive along a sunny road windows down, this take is racing through a rainy night, windows up, a/c cranked, charging through the dark.

cheers

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

If the original was a bouncy drive along a sunny road windows down, this take is racing through a rainy night, windows up, a/c cranked, charging through the dark.

Nice analogy.  Maybe because I'm used to it, I feel that the slower paced studio version fits the album better than the fast paced 2008 one.  The original Saving Grace does have a daytime feel.  And of course later along the way, Night Driver has the right feel for that.   

BTW, I checked through the LivePetty site, and it appears that the only 2008 audio recording there which isn't MP3 is the San Francisco one at the end.  Pretty good recording and a similar Saving Grace performance as in the 2008 video.  But it's fun to see them actually playing it, rather than just hearing it.  

On April 30, 2020 at 3:35 PM, TheSameOldDrew said:

Nice analogy. 

Thank you.

On April 30, 2020 at 3:35 PM, TheSameOldDrew said:

I checked through the LivePetty site,

I'm still amazed someone went to the trouble of making that site and sharing all of that music! 

I realize this is a topic on Saving Grace but since we're discussing jammed out tunes what do you make of Two Men Talking? As a song itself and how they performed it? I think it was a definite highlight. I realize this is part of the Steve-era for you but it is just a solitary performance instead of a show.

Back to Saving Grace, I think this is the most reworked version of anything they've done. Songs like Kings Highway, 2 Gunslingers etc. all felt more in tune with their studio version even if they were changed to acoustics or mellowed out; same with Rebels. The song is the same but this is a case where they seemed to largely transform it; to me it's no longer a Bo Diddley homage.

cheers

I love this song and am particularly fond of the original.  It's got that signature TPaTH driving beat.  I can close my eyes and hear Tom's 1970's voice while seeing them performing it as a young band.  It's just classic TP.  Never gets old even though the band does and so do I!   I just found this website - very cool.  Kudos and thanks to whoever created it.

1 hour ago, SAS said:

I just found this website - very cool.

A great find. Welcome to the Farm!

A bit sleepy around here these days - could be a misinterpretation of social distancing, who knows - but a great resource for all things TPATH I hope you will find it.