Sign in to follow this  
Hoodoo Man

Damage you've done... Favorite era or version?

The Damage you've done to me is one of the bands better songs and it seems to have taken many different forms over the years from the original, to the first alternate version on Playback that was countrified, to the last version on the An American Treasure version.  I finally listened to a bootleg of Halifax NS yesterday and i was struck by how different that live version was. So as we are increasingly locked up and grounded I thought it may be fun to share what your favorite version might be. 

1987 AAT version (my current prefered version)

Studio

1989 live version

AAT version for me also.  The recording quality and separation is so good - especially the hi-res version.  Benmont's organ riding on top, and the 3-part harmonies all just jump out. I do like the North Carolina bootleg version as well, for the audience participation and just the performance being so good.

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

The Damage you've done to me is one of the bands better songs

The country version is all right, I guess I might throw it on now since you posted this and I'm curious to hear it. Of the limited takes, the '89 bootleg version is my favorite. It's a middle of the road song for me, it's not great, it's not bad.

cheers

The country version is hilarious, especially when you know the "real" song.  I don't think anyone would call the country version the definitive take.  But it's worth hearing; I'm glad they put it on the Playback album.    

I like both the original studio version and the American Treasure alternate studio take.  Overall I prefer the original but I like the AT version quite a lot.  

As far as live versions, yes the 1989 Chapel Hill NC version is awesome.  That entire recorded-for-radio live album should have been an official release.  It's probably my favorite TPATH bootleg.  I was surprised that not one song from that concert was chosen for the Live Anthology album.  

I guess if I had to vote, I'd take the 1989 live version over them all, live or studio.  But I like having many versions to listen to.  

BTW, I love the song.  I'd put it in the upper 1/3rd of their album output.  Which is very high praise, considering how many great songs they have, often with every song or nearly every song worthy of repeated play.    

I know I've posted about this before, but I loved when the band revived the song on the road in 2012 and 2013. I actually hardly listen to the 1989 version, and mostly listen to this version: 

Now I definitely listen to the AAT version as my go-to official version.

I loved that this band could pick up a song that they hadn't played for 10 years and crush it.  But this audience tape can't match up to the sound quality of a proper recording.  AAT can't be beat for sound quality.