Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

1995 Toronto video

Great, thanks for posting! 

Not only was it really nice to revisit this tour today - nicer than expected, even - it was also the first time I ever saw this show. Despite some flaws in sound and vision, it's a great performance. I also think this may be the first time I ever noticed them actually having Dingo on stage with them. Very interesting. (Did not see no wings, though..)

This video also goes some ways proving to the sceptics why Howie had the best hair. Just saying.

Anyway, thanks! That was fun! 

I feel like the 95 tour was the transitional moment from a “young Petty” to the later-era (older/mature/adultish/elder/veteran, etc) Petty.

During the 91-92 tour, He was primarily wearing the headband, still appearing youthful, buoyant, doing the normal stage antics and moves, etc.

But starting around the 99 tour, and for the final 20 years/era, he slowed it down quite a bit. Became more measured on stage, moreso with each passing tour. Obviously, much/most of this can be attributed to adapting to getting older, and the easier wear and tear felt from touring.

But, when I saw him in 2016 with Mudcrutch, I don’t want to use the word frail, because that’s too strong, but it did feel like he was struggling a bit, mobility-wise. I remember thinking how he appeared older than his “age number”. Perhaps his body was just beat up by so many years of rock and roll...

I wondered how many big tours he had left in him…

Finally, we all know the different pains he was experiencing in the final 2017 tour, much of it being visible and not hidden.

Does anyone else agree, or have any thoughts on this?

That’s not to say that he ever stopped rocking, because that never happened...

Yes, agree.  As much as anything during late 1990s he lost a lot of weight - any Italian Nonna would've been saying You need to eat more, I worry for you, you're fading away.  Started to look healthier again by Echo (Charlie Rose interview).  These two guys are the same person - just a few years apart.

But some of the images of Tom during the years in between ... are almost unrecognisable... & it's not just his facial hair.  Maybe he stopped eating his vitamins.  

I used to think "Who is this masked man?" about Wildflower images.  Sure, it's obviously him (singing) but the images show a different version of the man.  Taken by aliens?  Or like an insect?  You know, when they suddenly change form when they shed an old skin. Not just caterpillar to butterfly, but adult insects keep growing out of their bodies too.  It's messy and they 're suddenly vulnerable, but they need to do it because they're continuing to grow.   So (before information about heroin & depression & divorce) my working theory was that the process of making Wildflowers created some musical & creative moment of extraordinary growth - some re-birth - and so he needed to shed an old skin.  

So maybe Metamorphosis could be an lost album title? Nah, dumb idea... 

tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-in-conce 1HY5Y71_248_lt.jpg?1456608968

Thanks for posting the video.  Although it's not professionally shot, here's a lot to like about this one.  I especially like that Steve's bass drum is not overpowering everything as was often the case on other live recordings.  Also Howie seems very engaged here, playing great bass.  In some of his later concerts his bass playing seemed irrelevant.