Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Roundwound Vs Flatwound

I don't know if true or not but I heard that it's best or guitars play better with older strings on them. Makes sense in a way, they're broken in. I usually change mine when they start fraying, suddenly you're doing a slide and your finger runs into a sharpness. Quite unpleasant.

I use medium gauge as my sometimes aggressive style would have me breaking the lighter ones. I heard Dick Dale used to use giant ones, thickest humanly possible. Man, the sounds he'd make from that thing.

I've got a bag full of guitar strings from over the years, packs filled with strings.

cheers

I tend to leave strings on for quite a long time on my electric guitars.  Acoustic strings seem to go dead faster, or maybe its just the nature of acoustic instruments that they need fresh strings to ring out. I also use medium gauge strings, 10 - 46 or thereabouts on the electrics.  Always round wound strings.

Flatwounds I only ever tried once on my Rickenbacker 360.  Didn't like them at all.  I thought it made the guitar sound kind of dull.  Very "thuddy", if that's a word.  I do use flats on my one and only bass, which is a Hofner knock off.  Makes the bass sound more like the old stand-up bass or "doghouse" they're sometimes called.