Sign in to follow this  
peterdimples

Which TP songs best describe life in COVID19-times?

I was just thinking about the barren landscape in the "You Got Lucky" video and thought about the eerie, empty streets of cities worldwide.

Then I thought about the stockpilers of "Shadow People" and the desperate environments of "All You Can Carry" and "Have Love, Will Travel".

Which TPHBS tunes seem appropriately prescient for these bizarro times?

Swinging reonates as does wont back down.   but the line :

""and the world got still"

really hits home seeing so few cars on the road.

Strangely I live on a normally very quite side street, lately we have a ton more foot traffic as its a nice scenic walk up my road. We may need to install a toll... ;) 

Good question.  I'm inspired by these answers so far!

• Too Much Ain't Enough for people stocking up on supplies plus "ever since that bathroom scene, there's been a slight concern"
  • When The Time Comes 
  • but the ones in my mind all week are the lyrics from his mighty Wildflowers album... "I thought we could ride this out. / I was up all night making up my mind / But now I've got my doubts.  I got my eye on the waterline / Tryin' to keep my sense of humour"   plus  "don't fade... don't fade on me" (which is what I've been saying to myself)

Nightwatchman - this one's dedicated to all the fine people keeping shops open (like Tomfest's daughter in Seattle) & delivering parcels so other people can stay safely at home.  💘

• I'm the night-watchman / I am security / I'm the night-watchman / How safe do you wanna be? / I sit around at night and listen to the radio.  / If I get real bored I might have a little smoke.  / Yeah I got a permit to wear this .38 / But listen my life's worth more than the minimum wage.  

On 3/25/2020 at 7:12 PM, peterdimples said:

Then I thought about the stockpilers of "Shadow People" and the desperate environments of "All You Can Carry" and "Have Love, Will Travel".

I like Peter's idea of All You Can Carry, which is appropriate and also a terrific song, my favorite from the Hypnotic Eye album.    

I would nominate King's Highway from the ITGWO album.  Great song, and it includes the lyrics:

We want to hold our heads up, but we gotta stay down.

And I don't want to end up, in a room all alone,

Don't want to end up someone, that I don't even know.

Oh I await the day, good fortune comes our way,

And we ride down the King's Highway.   

12 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I like Peter's idea of All You Can Carry, which is appropriate and also a terrific song, my favorite from the Hypnotic Eye album

My heretical view has long been that Hypnotic Eye is TPATH's best album not only because of its musical mastery but also its contemporary relevance and prescience. Viewed in that light, HE is the perfect record for these times. 

All You Can Carry is my favorite as well. 

3 hours ago, Arete411 said:

My heretical view has long been that Hypnotic Eye is TPATH's best album

A fellow heretic! Nice to know. Good point about the sobering relevancy of today with the record. For me, it's just a really good mix of songwriting, each one with interesting parts, memorable lyrics, inspired playing all interlocking nicely so you can start with American Dream Plan B, to Shadow People with Tom's optimistic final verse then back to the beginning. The album flies by.

cheers

How about Something Good Coming (from the Mojo album)?  It references the job losses going on, but remains hopeful for a treatment, cure, vaccine, or some positive end to this.  

And I'm an honest man
Work's all I know
You take that away
Don't know where to go....

There's something good coming
For you and me
Something good coming
There has to be

I've always thought that Something Good Coming would have been the perfect way to end HE, if it hadn't already been on Mojo. 

And I agree with the thought that Hypnotic Eye is a great album and great album for this time.  Thanks to Tom and the guys for making it, a few years ahead of when we needed it.  Though I still think that Hurricane Eye would have been a better name, assuming that this was actually considered, and not just a strange accident in that book.  And maybe they would have included Somewhere Under Heaven on the album too, given that it's a great sounding song (which was never officially released on an album), and has its own hurricane reference.

7 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Though I still think that Hurricane Eye would have been a better name

Absolutely. When I spotted it (typo? slip?) in the book, it immediately clicked. The concept of the “hypnotic eye” had to be explained to me, not because I didn’t understand it, but because I couldn’t connect it with the lyrical content. The eye of the hurricane, however, fits. 

(Are we in it?)

^^^^ Nice!  Love that creative masterpiece.  Plus they look like they're having so much fun being cool making a movie out in the desert.

Same album - We Stand A Chance.

Yes absolutely, I'm first to admit these lyrics are taken right out of context.  They weren't writing about a viral pandemic, but about another powerful & potentially disruptive force of nature. However:

Stand back from me honey / Because I don't know what I might do next
No I'm surprised by this, frightened by this / Nothin' ever got me so out of my head, baby

[Chorus:]
We stand a chance / We stand a chance
Yeah, and I could be wrong, but you never know...

Spoiler

Ooops - no spoiler.  I clicked on the "spoiler" icon by mistake.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:35 AM, Big Blue Sky said:

^^^^ Nice!  Love that creative masterpiece.  Plus they look like they're having so much fun being cool making a movie out in the desert.

Same album - We Stand A Chance.

Yes absolutely, I'm first to admit these lyrics are taken right out of context.  They weren't writing about a viral pandemic, but about another powerful & potentially disruptive force of nature. However:

Stand back from me honey / Because I don't know what I might do next
No I'm surprised by this, frightened by this / Nothin' ever got me so out of my head, baby

[Chorus:]
We stand a chance / We stand a chance
Yeah, and I could be wrong, but you never know...

Hide contents

Ooops - no spoiler.  I clicked on the "spoiler" icon by mistake.

I feel a bit cheated by the spoiler. Thought you may have unearthed a rare live performance. ;)   I guess I should have noticed the date... :D

10 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

^^^^ 💘💘💘😷

As a response (& yes it's a cover - what do you reckon - allowable?)

I'm not so much crying as mashing the gas pedal to the floor and cranking this to 11. :D  have not seen that one for a while damn fine cover song these guys were amazing!   So I see your bluff and I raise you another cover song of exactly what we are not supposed to do. ;) 

47 minutes ago, peterdimples said:

"Straight Into Darkness" is mentioned in Bret Easton Ellis' novel Less Than Zero.

I think that's one of TPATH's best songs. Couldn't get into Ellis, read American Pyscho but it was just too long and repetive, too gross as well. I get it...he's a killer, etc. etc.

ciao

On 4/3/2020 at 10:42 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think that's one of TPATH's best songs. Couldn't get into Ellis, read American Pyscho but it was just too long and repetive, too gross as well. I get it...he's a killer, etc. etc.

ciao

Not any kind of Ellis superfan, but Less Than Zero captured that time/place effectively. The film only touched on the book's creepiness.