Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows that ended well and those that ended badly...

---spoilers for ANGEL/THE PRISONER/FIREFLY/DOLLHOUSE/STAR TREK/LEGION/BABYLON 5/FARSCAPE/LOST/BATTLESTAR/THE GOOD PLACE/GAME OF THRONES/XFILES

Well

Angel---had to wrap it up in four or six episodes when told they were canceled. Some things were rushed but what a finish!

The Prisoner---classic

Firefly---wrapped up in a movie that had some weak points but overall a good ending to the show

Dollhouse---far from a good show and yet, the conclusion is pretty good

Star Trek the Next Generation---classic finale

Legion---mixed feelings but overall good 

Babylon 5----pretty good

Farscape---wrap-up miniseries had some flaws but builds to a powerful climax

Badly

Lost----terrible waste of time with characters in some weird after-life limbo running parallel to things in the real world. Attempt at emotional powerhouse fails whereas a few seasons ago it was a very powerfully emotional show. Should've ended after three seasons.

Battlestar Galactica (remake)----lousy ending. Stupid prophecy. Disappearing Kara, she's an angel? What?? Ha ha it's awful. But the worst thing is them giving up all their technology. Most of it. Flying them into the sun. C'mon...how stupid was that?

The Good Place----total failure. Nihilistic ending. Instead of embracing the concept they go for a contrived goodbye ending but since they're dead they try to find another way to have the characters die. Awful.

Game of Thrones----you've probably read the valid criticisms online.

The X-Files---show should've ended years ago, inability to give any kind of an ending, let alone this one is truly awful.

Thoughts? Any others to add?

It is disappointing when you 'invest' years into a series and it goes out with a whimper.  Big "Firefly" fan here, and the movie was pretty good, but Wash died which sucked.  I watched some of the other series' you mentioned - "X-Files", "Game of Thrones", "Lost", "Battlestar Gallactica", "Farscape" - but don't really have too much heartburn about any of their endings.  I was a  huge fan of the original "Battlestar Gallactica" (affectionately nicknamed "Battlestar Ponderosa" by my brother) so it took me a while to warm up to the re-do.  But OK.

You didn't mention probably my all-time favorite sci-fi series - "Stargate SG1".  For me, still the best sci-fi special effect ever.  Right up there with 'The Time Tunnel" which you also neglected. Did I mention I love time travel?  Awesome shows, both.  The "SG1" ending was OK, they had 10 seasons, followed by 2 movies.  And bonus points for scooping up a couple of "Farscape" alumni along the way.  The original movie with Spader and Kurt Russell was great too.  "The Time Tunnel" and original "Star Trek" were my first loves though.  I can still watch any episode of those.

I liked most of Battlestar and don't like the ending / series finale but for reasons different than yours.  The backstory parts of the finale felt like filler, there  was no need to get into so many backstories for Adama/Roslyn and Gyus  Kara and Lee and so on.  The angel bit was a stretch but the overall arc of the series was good. The final battle scenes and the resolution with the Cylons was well done in my opinion.  

One of my favorite sci fi series. 

18 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Lost----terrible waste of time with characters in some weird after-life limbo running parallel to things in the real world. Attempt at emotional powerhouse fails whereas a few seasons ago it was a very powerfully emotional show. Should've ended after three seasons.

as for Lost I was recently stunned to find out they were not all dead on the island and the only time we actually see them when they are truly dead is in the last minutes in the church.  Someone on another forum shared a 5-10 year old interview with the creative team in which they clumsily explain that. I can search for it if you like. 

15 hours ago, TomFest said:

It is disappointing when you 'invest' years into a series and it goes out with a whimper.

Yes. Nowadays I try to wait till a show is finished or hope it's just a cable type series with less episodes. Though overall my tv-watching has gone down which is good overall. I also figure a lot of sci-fi/fantasy shows tend to get canceled, maybe not so much nowadays but it's not worth starting something without an ending.

15 hours ago, TomFest said:

Big "Firefly" fan here, and the movie was pretty good, but Wash died which sucked. 

Firefly could probably be its own topic ha ha! Out of Whedon's three big shows, Buffy, Angel and Firefly, the latter had the most completely realized first season. There's even an origin story for how the crew came together...it's almost like they knew they'd be canceled and did as much as they possibly could. Most people I've loaned the box set and wrapup movie like it. It's a shame the show was cut down like that but at the same time, I wonder if it had been worse, going on for six seasons and becoming terrible. Who knows? 

1) I always figured Saffron would join the crew at some point but betray them.

2) Thought the blue-glove guys were great villains too bad that was never developed.

3) That crazy assassin guy in the last episode was scary. What a well-made episode.

Almost every episode was good, just sitting here thinking about 'em. As for the movie, too bad there wasn't more Book. Wash's death was powerful, shocked me. Man, one of the best characters gone just like that. I think the movie did the best it could to wrap it up with enough room for sequels or a new series. Now I think too much time has passed; unless they'd want to somehow pick up way after everything with an older Mal on one last caper for some reason.

There's more I'm forgetting about I'm sure. I'm glad the film ended on an optimistic note, even some happy endings for some characters. The reveal about the Reavers was good too.

More later...

cheers

13 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

The backstory parts of the finale felt like filler, there  was no need to get into so many backstories for Adama/Roslyn and Gyus  Kara and Lee and so on. 

i agree. It really dragged them out and I didn't care at that point.

The final battle scenes and the resolution with the Cylons was well done in my opinion.  

It was well filmed, battle scenes dramatic and such; but man...you're going to tell me an entire surviving bunch of humans will gladly give up nearly all their tech? No way. Completely unbelievable. Turn one of those ships into a manufacturing plant. Heck, borrow a Cylon ship so you can still travel into space. It's basically watching them march off to their miserable lonely lives and deaths. I did like the truce with the cylons though, etc.

One of my favorite sci fi series. 

I edited this because I just realized that maybe you mean BSG and not Lost.

For me, Lost was shaping up to be a great show but then for me, it just went down the drain.

Those first three seasons were dramatic, emotional, powerful, suspenseful, unpredictable, surreal...then it just fell apart. Talk about a show of anticlimaxes!

Turning Ben Linus sympathetic, even redeemable at the end was fucked up. Hell, he kidnapped a baby! And then later her Mother gets killed. Stupid waste. Who the fuck is Jacob? Who cares? Lame uninteresting character. They explained things poorly for things that didn't need explanation.

How long can people criss-cross an island and talk in generalities? How about the Temple with the guy with the lennon-glasses? How boring was that? Killing Locke was a twist but it neutered a great character. (Good actor though, especially as smoke monster). 

The terrible fate of Michael...so Linus kills a mother (amongst multiple people) tortures others, kidnaps a baby but Michael ends up punished as a ghost on the island? What? What the hell?!

The feud with the rich guy ends with him getting shot, pointless. Agrh, I better stop ha ha.

What was good? Well, nearly everything from the first three seasons in my opinion, take your pick. And the filming, score, all of it, man those beach reunion scenes were great. Or how about Sawyer killing Sawyer? The van rescue. Just builiding the van. The friendship with Hurley and little blonde guy? The hobbit actor. Man, those were some great scenes, the Others were menacing...it just went on too long though I did like the time traveling 70s Dharma Initiative stuff.

Anyway, that last season was a slog though Desmond of course was fun to watch.

cheers

Just to be clear as I was having trouble editing my post, Lost was good and enjoyable but had a lot of plot holes that become evident on a second watching.  I liked it but Battlestar was one of my favorite sci fi shows.

Lost in the end really ran aground and floundered with the series ending not redeeming it at all.  Way too many unexplained things in the show like the smoke monster. The entire last season was more or less uneven to terrible 

not sci fi per se but: 

Although it is ongoing still(to my utter amazement) The walking Dead has got to be the biggest let down of a series I can think of. It went from must watch TV to unwatchable. I essentially abandoned it after Rick left the show.

Add Dexter to the list of shows I never finished as well. I loved the series for the first two or so seasons but it just went down the drain quickly. I've read about the seires finale on line and its so terrible I cant believe it was on the air.  

16 hours ago, TomFest said:

Wash died which sucked.

That's definitely one of the most shocking character deaths I've seen. Another good thing from the show, the friendship between Book and Jayne. Man, most of the relationships were so well done, if they could've done another two seasons with that level of quality it would've been great! I think after that they run into the risk of diminishing quality. It's moot now though. I'm glad they did a movie though, got some answers to River's story etc.

cheers

10 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

The walking Dead has got to be the biggest let down of a series I can think of. It went from must watch TV to unwatchable. I essentially abandoned it after Rick left the show.

I don't get it. I tried watching the show here and there but it's just miserable. And basically the same thing over and over. I'm not a big fan of the comic but it ended well.

Dexter's not my usual type of thing but I watched the first season and kinda liked it. The second season was terrible. I really liked Doakes and respected he was THE ONE FUCKING PERSON WHO SAW THROUGH DEXTER. And they fucking blow him up. Bullshit. I was done there. Later I read how the series ended and was astounded at the terrible direction it went in. Though Dexter's girlfriend was hot. She was on Angel too.

Back to the Walking Dead, they planned a third spin-off focused on young adults/teens, I think. Delayed now. I don't know what people get out of the show, I wonder if it will falter now that there's this quarantine or if end-of-the-world movies/tv shows will still be popular. I could see them losing steam at this point, who wants to watch that shit when people are living a very minor (relative to tv shows and movies) version.

ciao

34 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

If you haven't watched Firefly and can avoid the spoilers in here, even if you can't, it's pretty good. One season and a conclusion movie. Probably all digital at this point.

cheers

Firefly was great and deserved to be rebooted beyond Serenity.  In this age of endless reboots and revivals I find it shocking this never got a green light... 

22 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

The walking Dead has got to be the biggest let down of a series I can think of. It went from must watch TV to unwatchable. I essentially abandoned it after Rick left the show.

I'd say pick up the graphic novels from your local library but...well...

I liked it but Battlestar was one of my favorite sci fi shows.

I'd heard how good it was and checked out the miniseries from the library and was blown away. However, I think it lost steam halfway into the third season and never recovered. I often think less is more when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy shows, better to wrap it up well then linger on or get too confusing and muddled as BSG did.

The entire last season was more or less uneven to terrible 

My guess is, early on people figured out their original intention was for the island to be purgatory/limbo. So they decided not to go with that. But kinda got a version of it with the sixth season and that weird afterlife experience. I just think, so what if people figured out it's purgatory/limbo, it's kinda cool that they could be on this island with weird fucked up stuff (explained because it's some weird limbo/purgatory) that they either escape/are released from and go back to reality or die on etc. I think that's pretty neat. So what if people guessed this early on. 

Instead the show just went off a cliff, weird numbers in a cave, no one can die or be killed, the stupid glowing light, the cork keeping evil in, Jacob so fucking boring and dull I was glad the smoke monster man killed him...just what a mess. But man, when it was on, it was fucking on. Entertaining, surreal, with some serious high points of emotion with a great score and fine acting.

cheers