TomFest

Things to do while on home lock-down

Right - I'm not in Denver.  I'm in Seattle.  And not dead!  Or even sick!  Yay!  And haven't seen that movie.  And not sure who Warren is?  Something to do with that movie?  

Tried to go to Home Depot yesterday to pick up the weed whacker, but there was quite a long line outside waiting to get in.  I guess they're limiting the number of people inside.  Anyway, I didn't feel like waiting, or mingling with the great unwashed, so I left.  I didn't really want to whack weeds that badly anyway.  Starting tonight, I'm guessing Home Depot will be shut down as a "non essential" business?  Not sure.

Long conference call this morning. Got some reassurance from my manager that our jobs aren't in jeopardy, so that part was good. So far.

Played a lot of loud guitar last night.  My office slash jam room has great sound isolation from the rest of the house, so as not to interrupt my wife's obsession with true crime shows. 😀  Think I'll do more of that today.  I have my 5 string open tuning Telecaster out, so lots of Stones and Black Crowes on the agenda. I don't think there is much Tom Petty music with guitars in open tuning.  A couple of acoustic tunes, I guess.

Stay safe!

Today is opening day.  We had 4 tickets on the rail down the 1st base line.  We always go to the home opener, so it's a extra sad today.  At least we're all healthy so far. I have my Mariner jersey on anyway.

I did have to stop by the office and setup a couple of things, so that I can work on them remotely.  That went pretty quick and nobody else was in the office. On the way I swung by the Home Depot for another try at picking up the new weed whacker and there was no line outside the door today, so I got that done.  I was hoping to NOT touch anything while I was there but they made me sign electronically.  And I didn't see anyone wiping anything down.  I'm sure they must be doing that, but I didn't see it.  The greeter at the door was coughing though.  Thanks for that.

Every time I go out, I feel like I have to start the 2 week clock over again.  Such is life right now.

🙂  It's all good.  I'm watching a game while I'm working.  More watching than working actually. 

My daughter is an Assistant Store Director at a Safeway.  #2 in charge of the store, and it's one of the busiest in Seattle. She's the one I'm worried about out there on the front lines really.  Today a customer threw a basket at her while screaming obscenity.  The basket hit her, but she's OK. Then he scattered his groceries all over the floor, and ran out the door.   Grocery workers should be getting combat pay.

Got up, took a shower, and jumped right back into my sweat pants.  The new normal, I guess.  Why dress up if there's nowhere to go?  Friday is "no meetings" day, so should be a real quiet one. 

I started watching this older series on Amazon called "Strike Back".  British Intelligence Black Ops soldiers out killing bad guys.  It's got some faces I recognize.  A lot of killing and a lot of sex though.  A lot.

I listened to the new 17 minute Bob Dylan song a couple of times.  Bob is always interesting.  The places his mind goes.

The new weed wacker is one of those modular kind where you can buy different attachments like edger's, and leaf blowers. I put it together and I'll probably give it a spin today.  If the rain will stop long enough.

Musically, I've got my 12 string acoustic out, so I'm hunting through the song list for acoustic 12 string songs.  

I just made another 88 pizzelles with Anise flavor. That brings my total for 2020 to 888 pizzelles or 74 dozen. I may make a couple batches tomorrow and try Vanilla and Almond. After that I should be running low on Orange and Lemon and tackle those flavors next weekend.

On 3/28/2020 at 4:35 AM, TomFest said:

"Strike Back".  British Intelligence Black Ops soldiers out killing bad guys.  It's got some faces I recognize.  A lot of killing and a lot of sex though.  A lot.

Richard Armitage...  

26 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

That brings my total for 2020 to 888 pizzelles or 74 dozen.

Um, that's a quite a few... are you feeding an army?  

Our specially ordered mushroom box arrived at the hardware store - but rather than phoning us to collect, staff there mysteriously "sold it to someone" (Oh please, they sold it to themselves or someone else on staff.  It wasn't on the shelf, just in the delivery area out back.  Just track the receipt, )  Then, "realising their mistake", they "kindly re-ordered" another one for us.

Unspeakable.  We have expressed our outrage to the management.  Even worse, management aren't quite willing to strap the errant staffer/s to an ants' nest.  Yet.  

Here's another thing to do on lockdown. Get out your guitars and change the strings on them. If you have a RIC 12 string, that'll take you a day!! I broke a string on my Guild 12 string the other day and found that I only had 6 string acoustic sets. I only have RIC electric 12 string sets on hand. So I ordered 2-12 string sets (10-47) of D'Addario EXP38 coated Phosphor Bronze and they arrived already. So I have to replace that .08 G string now.

Today another batch of pizzelles. I'm gonna try Almond for the 1st time. If they come out good, I'm gonna try ALMOND-PISTACHIO blend as soon as I buy Pistachio extract. I still have to try Vanilla too. I'll be back later to let you know how many Almond I made today. Stay home, listen to music and enjoy yourself. Life is good!

We're trying to go shopping no more than once a week, and yesterday was the day.  Went to Costco and Fred Meyer.  Ironically, I would say we have more food and supplies in this house than at any other time in the 24 years that we've lived here.  And there are only 2 of us now.  We bought toilet paper.  I swore I was not going to be that guy, but we did.  Oh well, it seems that all of the "panic" buying might be over with by now because there was plenty.

Guess I'll start the 2 week clock over again.  I don't think I ever get to 2 weeks before I have to start the clock again.  

Watched Neil Young play his acoustic guitar outside in the snow.  Killer version of "Words".   He did "Birds" also.  A couple of my favorites.  Best $20 I ever spent to subscribe to his NYA site for a year.  Everything in his entire catalog streaming in high definition.  Plus random live performances like these "Fireside" sessions he's doing.  Can't beat it.  I wish "Tom Petty Enterprises" would do that.

Yeah, there comes a time in everyone's life that sooner or later they will realize they can't "take it with them" and should share while they are alive. It's too bad that people are on their death beds before they realize it. There is no sharing when you are dead, you've already passed up the chance and can NEVER get it back again. Peter Fonda once said to The Beatles "I know what it's like to be dead" and John Lennon wrote a song about it. Peter said that because he was high as a kite and was never dead. A lot of people have been dead and came back that can say that including me! I believe I've been dead 2 times, the 1st after a heart attack and surgery that left me in a coma for 12 days and in the hospital for a month back in 2013. The 2nd time was last year after Cancer surgery (9 hours) and the following day had a life threatening blood clot and was rushed back into surgery for a 2nd time in 2 days to open my throat again from ear to ear! But I made it and so far am doing well. Probably will never talk right again, let alone sing or be able to eat right, but I'm alive. And that brings me back to where I started this post. Give while you can, tomorrow may be too late or never come at all. The artists we know and love can give their music to the world while they are alive, but their heirs will most likely sell it for "CASH FLOW"! After a major life threatening operation, doctors say people have a tendency to get emotional and I think that's true. I have a new way of looking at things and want to share and give to people that need help. SO, if you can do anything to help a neighbor or anyone, do it. Even if you can only afford to give $1 to animal charity, food band or anything in your home town, give it a shot. You'll feel a lot better, trust me.