TomFest

Things to do while on home lock-down

Am gardening - even more than normal - including growing:

• mushrooms from mushroom kits;
  • salad leaves; and 
  • sprouts in jars on window sill (an old trick but works well) 

We're not locked down (yet) but we are all avoiding people as much as possible (which is an excellent reason if I don't like them).

Good luck!

I also have done a small amount of gardening so far. I planted seeds for San Marzano Italian Plum tomatoes, Sweet 100 Cherry tomatoes and Sweet Hungarian Banana Peppers. I already have Basil grown about 17 inches tall. I'll wait to plant green and yellow flat Italian Roma beans in raised beds I have ordered and should be here Monday. I have no plans on leaving the house soon, but I need top soil and potting mix to mix up together for my raised garden beds, about 10 cubic feet, so far. I checked Lowe's and Home Depot and they have what I want, but they want $79 to deliver it and that's just plain bullshit!!!! Each of the containers below have 12 seeds in them. I use Red led lights when seeds are underground, when the plants pop up through the soil, I use Blue led lights. When the plants grow higher than the dome, I'll move the trays over to a Seville Wire Rack and place the lights on the top rack and move the top shelf higher and higher as the plants grow.

DAYTIME PICTURE

large.lights4.JPG.2be4345a4a299f476ba927

NIGHTTIME PICTURES

large.lights1.JPG.7288ee0ed9cf1d43b035e7

large.lights3.JPG.ac7339c60da0f7143325b6

Those heat lamps are so amazing!  I'm impressed.  I'm much more old school.  Was online today buy-in garden stuff & found myself in a hydroponics website.  Entirely by accident, honestly officer.  So much stuff for growing a quiet amount to smoke.  Your lights would fit right in!  Stoners & their growers  have sure come a long way since the last time I checked. 😉 Will find a photo, as words fail me.  You might not be amazed, but I was.  So cute - such compact design!  i thought it was a portaloo or a camping shower, but it's just for a bit of home-grown pot... has built in lights, insulation, drip feed, doesn't immediately make itself obvious to the casual visitor... the works!!!  I don't smoke, but now I want the kit.

1-e26a3f0620-gt-d-80x80x160-99.jpg

product-image--stub-92448111bf.gif

These are the mini flood lights I bought, I got 4 of them to try out. They are water proof and can be used outdoors too. You can hide them behind shrubs in front yard and shine lights upward. Put them at top of porch and shine down for holidays (I did that for Halloween with lights set on orange while we handed out candy). These are 10 watt LED and equal 100 Watt incandescent bulbs, not super bright, but work for me. There are other brands that are more powerful. These lights come with remote control and can be set to almost any color and even light patterns that flash, fade and other functions. Check them out.

https://www.amazon.com/Changing-Spotlight-Waterproof-Dimmable-Lighting/dp/B07H9S4BGY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=warmoon+mini+led+spot+lights&qid=1584892429&sr=8-1

Went to the Fred Meyer today for some groceries.  A rare trip out into the contagion.  Pretty quiet there, and they have marked a little blue "X" on the floor approximately 6 feet apart in front of the check stands.  Brought wipes and hand sanitizer with us, of course.  Duh!  Crazy times. 

I read today that youngsters have dubbed the virus "The Boomer Remover".   Had to laugh at that.

Thinking about changing the band name again.  I was going with "Abundance Of Caution", and then it changed to "The Doomsday Preppers".  But I'm thinking about "6 Feet Away" or "6 Feet Apart".  Can't decide which.  

Now I'm settling in for an episode of "Svengoolie".   Anyone watch that?  He's a guy that introduces horror and sci-fi movies and dresses spooky while making fun of the movie during every commercial break.  Pretty funny actually, and the movies aren't all that terrible.  And there's rubber chickens.  And who doesn't love rubber chickens?

OMG!!! We used to have a show like that when I was about 20 years old on channel 43 out of Cleveland. It came on at midnight on Friday nights. They had the worst Sci-Fi movies they could find. They'd show about 5 minutes of movie and then 10 minutes of commercials with the host doing stupid things, like roll a model car across the stage with a cherry bomb in it and watch it roll and explode!!!!! The name of the show and host was "GOOLARDI". They finally took him off the air for his antics and replaced him with the same old movies with 2 new guys they called "BIG CHUCK & HOOLIHAN" and after that "BIG CHUCK & LITTLE JOHN" a midget! 

Working remotely from home again today, as most of us are.  Washington State hasn't issued a "stay at home" order yet, but I assume it's coming.  Not that everyone pays attention to that, but my wife and I do.  I'm a network engineer, so pretty busy right now with getting our entire company up and working over VPN. Worldwide. It's going as well as can be expected.

Sunday night for some reason has a lot of TV shows that I record, so I've got a bunch of that lined up.  "Westworld" started again - I like that one.  "Homeland" too. The only reality TV I watch sometimes is "Wicked Tuna". I'm fascinated by those monster fish they pull in.  Don't care much for the personal drama, but damn.  Those fish are amazing. New "Walking Dead" last night too.  Not sure why I'm still watching that, but I am a sci-fi geek so there's that.

Been charting up some new songs for the band to play next time.  Assuming there is a next time.  Just did "License To Kill" - the Dylan song that the Heartbreakers played on BobFest.  I like that one.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:39 AM, Big Blue Sky said:

Those heat lamps are so amazing!  I'm impressed.  I'm much more old school.  Was online today buy-in garden stuff & found myself in a hydroponics website.  Entirely by accident, honestly officer.  So much stuff for growing a quiet amount to smoke.  Your lights would fit right in!  Stoners & their growers  have sure come a long way since the last time I checked. 😉 Will find a photo, as words fail me.  You might not be amazed, but I was.  So cute - such compact design!  i thought it was a portaloo or a camping shower, but it's just for a bit of home-grown pot... has built in lights, insulation, drip feed, doesn't immediately make itself obvious to the casual visitor... the works!!!  I don't smoke, but now I want the kit.

1-e26a3f0620-gt-d-80x80x160-99.jpg

That does look cool.  I do occasionally partake, but I don't grow it.  Every blue moon or so, as someone once said. Or maybe a little more often than that. Anyway, it's all legal and whatnot around here, so I never went to the trouble of growing.  I don't smoke enough to put in the effort, but I have a couple of friends that grow.  They just do it outside - which surprised me.  Seattle is not exactly tropical.  You might have heard about it sometimes rains here. True story.  

2 of my small 36" long by 15" wide by 5" deep planters on legs came today. The large 4 foot by 2 foot planter will be here tomorrow, also on legs, but 20 inches deep. All I need now is potting mix and top soil and I'm good to go. I'll plant these when weather warms up, so I have at least a month or 2 to get the soil, and that's good, cuz I'm not leaving the house. We are under a "Stay At Home" order from the state.

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

Tomfest, here's an oldie from my friends from Youngstown, Ohio you might want to chart up for the band. The guitar used was a Fender Villager 12 string.

Hmm, never heard that one before.  Kind of reminds me of "Pictures of Lilly".  Probably the falsetto harmonies are the similarity.  The only tune of these guys that I know is this one...

^     Yeah, that was their hit on Capitol Records. They got really big in Youngstown and recorded some songs on their own in Pittsburg. Then Capitol signed them and ruined them. They were forced to do songs by writers tied to Capitol so they could make money!! Those songs were never popular and the rest is history. I used to follow the band when I was about 14 and older and then after getting a set of drums found it easy to get in a band myself cuz not too many kids had drums or could afford them. I started a band and got a lead guitarist that was the cousin of Ting's (Rhythm guitarist and backup singer for the Human Beingz). We often went to Ting's house to listen to music and listen to the tapes from Capitol Records while they were recording in Cleveland. I still keep in touch with Ting and Mel (Bass Player) through phone calls. Ting is now living in Santa Rosa, FL and Mel lives about 5-7 miles from me.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, nurktwin said:

Today I started with 7 hours of the Andy Griffith show at 5am, followed by 5 hours of Hogan's Heroes and now spending the night watching reruns of Shark Tank!!!!!!

Well, I've become quite a fan of the old black and white Gunsmoke episodes lately. Funny, I had never watched Gunsmoke until recently.

I wonder what else I've been missing. ;)

5 hours ago, Nel said:

Well, I've become quite a fan of the old black and white Gunsmoke episodes lately. Funny, I had never watched Gunsmoke until recently.

I wonder what else I've been missing. ;)

I did the same with "Wanted: Dead or Alive" a while back.  Steve McQueen the bounty hunter for 2 or 3 seasons, I think.  Ran around 1958-60 or so.  I had never seen any of those, but I enjoyed it.

Start a "Pizza Garden"!!! Great to teach kids or yourself how to grow everything you need to make a pizza. When everything is fully grown, mix and cook down in pot and let simmer until your Pizza sauce is nice and thick. Then spread it on your own homemade dough or buy a pizza shell at your local store and bake it. There is a "KIT" available for this with all the seeds you need for $15 at Park Seeds. Contains seeds for Basil, Oregano, Plum Tomatoes, Bell Peppers and Onions. Check it out.

https://parkseed.com/ultimate-veggie-pizza-garden-collection/p/26249/

26249.jpg?v=101221718845-1

Finally a "shelter in place" order from the Washington Governor.  Took a while.  Boeing is shutting down all of their plants here now.  About time.  My new weed wacker came in at the Home Depot so I guess I'll venture out and pick that up today before the "shelter" order starts up tonight.

I'm picking out some music for today that I'll call "Quarantunes".  Probably somebody already thought of that name but whatever.  I recently got the DVD of James Taylor and Carole King at the Troubadour, so I'll spin that today.  If I can't go there to see The Dirty Knobs like I planned, I'll do a virtual Troubadour visit today.  Then I think Jeff Lynne at either Wembley or Hyde Park.  Both of those are great.

Meanwhile I'm still working.  Focus on network monitoring. With the onslaught of VPN users to support, I'm keeping a close eye on network performance. 

Well, to help out with this World Wide Shut Down, I'll look for concerts to pass the time away and share them here at the Farm. They will probably be listed under "The Rock & Roll Drive In" but to get you started here it is right now, right here. It's THE WHO live from Houston, Texas. Nov 20, 1975. About 2 hours long. Sit back and enjoy the show!

Read a book.

Write a book.

Learn an instrument if you have one handy.

Board games/card games/chess/checkers

Write songs.

Clean. De-clutter. Garden.

Watch bad tv.

Watch good tv.

Make babies.

Exercise. If you lack equipment find alternate ways to work out/build muscle. Push-ups/planks/crunches/tricep bends off a bench of bed.

Post on the Farm.

Discuss TPATH bootlegs. Discuss set lists. Talk about what an awesome album HE is.

Post in the Fantasy/sci-fi topic.

Post suggestions for things to do during "lock-down."

cheers

22 hours ago, TomFest said:

I'm picking out some music for today that I'll call "Quarantunes".

6 hours ago, Shelter said:

"Things To Do In Denver When You´re Dead" among them? 

For the record, I forgot to put a smiley on there (or a "like" on your post, for that matter) - I found it funny. Also - I´ve gathered you´re not in Denver, I don´t know where you stand with Warren, and it seems you are doing well. So all things considered - bad joke, sorry! That song, as a "quarantune", just jumped on me when seeing the title of this thread. Anyway, moving on....