Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Straight into Darkness the Utrecht Bootleg

Going through some older items I came across this bootleg, purchased years ago at a record convention. I knew when I saw "Swingin' Pig" it was going to be high sound quality unlike a lot of other boots one could spend money and regret as they sounded like shit.

This was one of my favorites at the time, aside from Pack up the Plantation and Take the Highway (far superior to the former) there wasn't anything. At the time I enjoyed the jamming in Kings Road and A Thing About You. Straight into Darkness was superb same with A Woman in Love and I really loved Louie Louie. Me and a friend would imitate the "...not going to play that fuckin' song..." bit for a good laugh over cheap beers.

Shout while entertaining as a first listen quickly got tiring, and I never did care for I'm in Love. I was surprised to hear Rock-n-roll star so late in the show after listening to a lot of Plantation. Anything That's Rock and Roll was disappointing especially the way it faded out I think at the end. It's been a while since I've head this and gave my copy after finding it again,  to someone else to enjoy.

While not as good as the Live in North Carolina bootleg (what a show, or most of one, on one disc...!) Utrecht was quite enjoyable and was good for the time.

Anyone else own this? Thoughts?

cheers

Well. It was really one of the first boots (on professional CD) and one of the best boots, from one of the best tours ever by one of the best bands ever... So what's not to like? Classic and a great find in its day. Still it is IMO among the best you could ever hear. The 1982 tour is just wickedly awesome.

Awesome bootleg, though I like all the shows from that period, if they are of listenable quality.  The song Straight Into Darkness itself sounds awesome on that boot (though my favorite performance of that song is the 1983 Milwaukee one).  The highlight of the Utrecht boot might be the song Louie Louie, with the false start and all.  Which goes against my usual desire to hear TPATH play only their own songs, but they do such a great job on that one, it's so high-energy.  I love the part where TP says something like "ok Mike lets give it to 'em right now" and Mike goes into a great guitar solo.  The Utrecht Louie Louie blows away the 1997 version from the Fillmore shows. 

Regarding the false start in Louie Louie, Howie does a great bass riff on the first attempt.  Then TP stops that song, says he's not going to play it. then plays it anyway.  I don't know if Howie thought TP wasn't digging his bass work on the first attempt, but on the second attempt he doesn't play it that way.  Which is a shame because the bass on the first attempt was so cool.  Anyone else notice this about that song/concert?         

On 3/16/2020 at 3:48 PM, TomFest said:

I have December 4, 1982 for Utrecht, December 8 for Dortmund, and December 12 for Wembley.

https://livepetty.com/1982-12-04-utrecht-holland-sbd/ 1982/12/04 UTRECHT, HOLLAND SBD

https://livepetty.com/1982-12-19-dortmund-germany-sbd/ Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany December 19, 1982

https://livepetty.com/1982-12-12-london-uk-sbd/1982/12/12 LONDON, UK SBD 

downloading and will extract and listen tomorrow and the next few days.. :) 

Yeah, I can't vouch for the Dortmund date. I thought it said December 8, 1982 on the artwork, but what it really says is December 18, 1982.   So still not the same as what the livepetty site has. Here's a snip of the bootleg DVD cover.  You can see why at a glance I thought it said the  8th.  Those vertical lines I thought were dividers until I looked closer.  Anyway, this say the 18th on what looks like a ticket stub.

bbIkuHA.jpg?1

16 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

The highlight of the Utrecht boot might be the song Louie Louie, with the false start and all.  Which goes against my usual desire to hear TPATH play only their own songs, but they do such a great job on that one, it's so high-energy.

Ha ha, I hear ya! I may even feel the same way. 

16 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I don't know if Howie thought TP wasn't digging his bass work on the first attempt, but on the second attempt he doesn't play it that way.  Which is a shame because the bass on the first attempt was so cool. 

My guess is whatever Howie played the first time was in the moment and he couldn't do it the second time around, the mood/vibe had changed and whatever he did the first time was lost.

The sound quality on this show is magnifique!

cheers 

14 hours ago, TomFest said:

Here's a snip of the bootleg DVD cover.

On the cds, out of all the sketchy, terrible sounding, mislabeled bootlegs, I did know that if I saw Swingin' Pig it was going to sound good. Otherwise, unless the dealer had some headphones set up (which some did) you basically took your chances. I remember buying some Zeppelin ones that sounded so poor I basically threw them in the corner and never revisited them. Now, one can download soundboards in minutes, it's quite nice.

cheers

17 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Awesome bootleg, though I like all the shows from that period, if they are of listenable qua

For the most part I try to listen to radio broadcasts or soundboards though there are some good audience recordings out there, not just TPATH but all the bands whose live music I enjoy. Cranking up some terrible recorded live album desperate to enjoy it is a thing of the past fortunately. 

cheers